HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Paul Krugman: 'Ireland Is...

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:52 PM

Paul Krugman: 'Ireland Is Romney Economics In Practice'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/paul-krugman-ireland-is-r_n_1609089.html

<snip>
If Mitt Romney is elected president, the U.S. will experience an economic disaster the likes of which have been recently seen in Ireland, according to Paul Krugman.

"Ireland is Romney economics in practice," the Nobel-Prize winning economist and New York Times columnist said on the Colbert Report on Monday. "I think Ireland is America's future if Romney is president." (h/t Politico.)

"They've laid off a large fraction of their public workforce, they've slashed spending, they've had extreme austerity programs, they haven't really raised taxes on corporations or the rich at all, they have 14 percent unemployment, 30 percent youth unemployment, zero economic growth," Krugman said.

Romney, the likely Republican nominee for president, recently suggested that the government should lay off more firemen, policemen, and teachers, according to CNN. Romney's campaign website says that if elected president, Romney would aim to slash federal spending at least 18 percent by the end of his first term.

....more

3 replies, 967 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Paul Krugman: 'Ireland Is Romney Economics In Practice' (Original post)
kentuck Jun 2012 OP
Drunken Irishman Jun 2012 #1
lumberjack_jeff Jun 2012 #2
nashville_brook Jun 2012 #3

Response to kentuck (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:58 PM

1. Breaks my heart.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 07:24 PM

2. It's a pity that being right earns one so few points in the game of life. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 07:45 PM

3. this is an excellent comparo -- will be using it liberally :)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread