HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » (Howard) Dean: ‘America W...

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:35 PM

(Howard) Dean: ‘America Was Not Meant To Be Owned By Corporations’ - RawStory

Dean: ‘America was not meant to be owned by corporations’
By Kay Steiger - RawStory
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:12 EDT

<snip>

Former Democratic National Committee chairman and former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean said Tuesday that he wanted to see the left elect “real progressive Democrats” this fall at the Take Back the American Dream Conference, sponsored by the Campaign for America’s Future in Washington, D.C. “I’m not interested in electing Democrats who behave like Republicans once they’re elected. That’s how we lost the public option.”

Dean, who can still fire up a progressive crowd, spoke about the need to push for the president’s re-election this fall. The 2004 Democratic presidential candidate received a standing ovation when he said, “One of the reasons I’m supporting Barack Obama for re-election is I want two more justices like Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor.”

He warned against supporting Koch brothers-backed companies and fighting against the unlimited spending allowed by the Supreme Court’s Federal Election Commission v. Citizens United decision in 2010. “How many of you buy Brawny paper towels? Don’t do it. The Koch brothers make it,” he said. “America was not meant to be owned by corporations and I’ll be damned if I’m going to allow that to happen."

Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison (D) took the stage after Dean, saying that he was disappointed with the “whining” he sees in the progressive movement and asked progressives to take “personal responsibility” for communicating what they want changed.
“Martin Luther King never called Lyndon Johnson and said, I’m feeling down today. You’re not inspiring me Lyndon. You’re not making me feel it. The movement always drives the leaders. Don’t ever be confused about what’s going on here.”

Gloria Totten, president and executive director of Progressive Majority, said, “The most depressing thing I hear when I’m out knocking on doors is that we’re all the same.”

<snip>

More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/19/dean-america-was-not-meant-to-be-owned-by-corporations/

6 replies, 990 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Howard) Dean: ‘America Was Not Meant To Be Owned By Corporations’ - RawStory (Original post)
WillyT Jun 2012 OP
hrmjustin Jun 2012 #1
Rosa Luxemburg Jun 2012 #2
WillyT Jun 2012 #3
woo me with science Jun 2012 #4
AsahinaKimi Jun 2012 #5
pacalo Jun 2012 #6

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:37 PM

1. tell that to the owners of america!!! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:54 PM

2. Howard should do a broadcast every day to inform Americans

People need educating

Reply to this post

Response to Rosa Luxemburg (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:51 PM

3. I Agree...

Reply to this post

Response to Rosa Luxemburg (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:52 PM

4. Marvelous idea. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:54 PM

5. loves me some

Howard Dean!

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 06:41 PM

6. I stopped buying Georgia Pacific & Dixie products over a year ago.

I love Howard Dean!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread