HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gov. Walker called on Rhe...

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:33 PM

Gov. Walker called on Rhee to help him fight Wisc. teachers

Mother Jones writer Andy Kroll gleaned this from some of Walker's newly released internal emails.

Rhee did defend some of Walker's anti-union measures twice on television soon after he announced his plan. "The move to try to limit what bargain over is an incredibly important one," she said on "Fox and Friends." Months later, Rhee appeared alongside Walker at a DC meeting of the American Federation for Children, a hard-line conservative education organization founded by Betsy DeVos, the wife of Amway heir Dick DeVos and a funder of numerous conservative causes.

Since leaving DC, Rhee has embraced and promoted a more conservative, anti-union education reform agenda. She pushed a bill in the Tennessee legislature that ended collective bargaining for teachers, stumped for Ohio's SB 5 bill (later repealed via referendum) which restricted bargaining rights, and has worked as an unpaid adviser to Florida Gov. Rick Scott, a tea-party-favorite who "has never met a voucher or a charter school he doesn't like," as one education reporter put it.

* Also see Richard Kahlenberg's Washington Post piece from February 27, 2011, "Gov. Scott Walker can thank Michelle Rhee for making teachers unions the enemy" and Alex Pareene's post at Salon from May 9, 2011, "Michelle Rhee joins Scott Walker at school voucher group’s “policy summit”.

http://schoolingintheownershipsociety.blogspot.com/2012/06/gov-walker-called-on-rhee-to-help-him.html

6 replies, 767 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gov. Walker called on Rhee to help him fight Wisc. teachers (Original post)
HiPointDem Jun 2012 OP
proud2BlibKansan Jun 2012 #1
Blue_Tires Jun 2012 #5
Sherman A1 Jun 2012 #2
hlthe2b Jun 2012 #3
HopeHoops Jun 2012 #4
proud2BlibKansan Jun 2012 #6

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:36 PM

1. She is nothing but pure slime

Mouth Taper Rhee!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:01 PM

5. At least the fans she once had on this site are LONG gone

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:37 PM

2. I saw her speak once at St. Louis Speaker Series

and I found her completely clueless as to understanding just why Unions exist (beyond the obvious... being a target for all the woes in the world.. in her mind). She may have had some understanding of some issues in education, but I was underwhelmed with her entirely.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:38 PM

3. I can't even hear her name without having my blood boil...

That incredible lies perpetuated by the "Waiting for Superman" movie has so bamboozled some of my normally progressive friends to think that public schools are the enemy... it just makes my blood boil.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:51 PM

4. I can't hear the name without thinking of the early '70s commercial - "Nobody bother me!"

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:08 PM

6. Every time I hear her name, I picture kids with tape on their mouths

When she was head of DC schools, she would have fired any teacher who did that. And rightfully so

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread