HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Senate Judicial Committee...

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 11:49 AM

Senate Judicial Committee hearing on prison solitary confinement

And mental illness, solitary confine as/is torture.

Right now I'm hearing Sen Al Franken, the committee and others on this first-ever senate hearing on solitary confinement in our prisons.

www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=6517e7d97c06eac4ce9f60b09625ebe8 and we'll be live tweeting at @NRCATtweets
View a Hearing or Meeting
www.judiciary.senate.gov

2 replies, 461 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senate Judicial Committee hearing on prison solitary confinement (Original post)
duhneece Jun 2012 OP
Swede Atlanta Jun 2012 #1
morningfog Jun 2012 #2

Response to duhneece (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:12 PM

1. As reprehensible as some crimes are..................

there is also something in our constitution known as a prohibition on the government in using "cruel and unusual" punishments. The reality today is that in our modern context, no other major first world country allows capital punishment. Although I haven't researched it I suggest that the use of solitary confinement such as we use with the Atlanta Games bomber, the Unibomber, etc. is probably rare if permitted at all.

Total solitary confinement, in my view, is torture.

I know the inmates so incarcerated have done really, really bad things. But for society to exact REVENGE and not JUSTICE is criminal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to duhneece (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:12 PM

2. Thank you Senator Franken!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread