HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Feds in Miami: Millions s...

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:29 AM

Feds in Miami: Millions stolen from Medicare wound up in Cuban banking system

n an unprecedented case, federal prosecutors have charged a Miami man with engaging in a massive money-laundering operation that moved millions stolen from the federal Medicare program into Cuban banks.

Prosecutors say Oscar Sanchez, 46, was a key leader in a group that funneled $31 million in Medicare dollars into banks in Havana — the first such case that directly traces money fleeced from the beleaguered program into the Cuban banking system.

Most of the money moved through an intricate web of foreign shell companies before ending up in Cuba, to avoid being detected in the United States, said investigators.

“We’re obviously dealing with a very sophisticated network,” said Ron Davidson, an assistant U.S. attorney, during a court hearing on Monday.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/18/2855604/feds-in-miami-millions-stolen.html#storylink=cpy

2 replies, 884 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Feds in Miami: Millions stolen from Medicare wound up in Cuban banking system (Original post)
mfcorey1 Jun 2012 OP
TrollBuster9090 Jun 2012 #1
BlueToTheBone Jun 2012 #2

Response to mfcorey1 (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 06:59 AM

1. Pfft! It's Florida. Dirty Sanchez was just aspiring to the example of the Governor.

Still, although the process is slow, I'm glad the Obama Administration is finally starting to show some results in cleaning up Medicare fraud.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TrollBuster9090 (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:10 AM

2. There have several major busts in Medicare fraud

Texas and Florida seem to attract scammers because that seems to be where most of this happens. But, I too am delighted that the thefts are stopping and maybe we can get some of our money back.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread