HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fukushima: Reactor 4 is F...

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:39 PM

Fukushima: Reactor 4 is FALLING APART

Last edited Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:28 PM - Edit history (1)

(Note: I have made some minor changes to the bullet points in this article. The source has translated it from Japanese, so I made the changes to make it more legible. The changes do not alter the meaning of the text.)

Published: December 12th, 2011 at 10:30 AM EDT
By Enenews Admin
Report: ďConfirmed that the wall of reactor 4 was lost on the south sideĒ (PHOTOS)

* Wall of the south side is falling apart at reactor 4
* Assumed that if another aftershock hits, it will drop the spent fuel pool hung in the building
* The entire area in eastern Japan would be too contaminated to be habitat
* It was confirmed that the wall of reactor 4 was lost on the south side
* At least since 12/5/2011, the wall is missing

http://enenews.com/report-confirmed-wall-reactor-4-lost-south-side-photos

32 replies, 11792 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fukushima: Reactor 4 is FALLING APART (Original post)
FourScore Dec 2011 OP
Blackhatjack Dec 2011 #1
Angry Dragon Dec 2011 #9
TheWraith Dec 2011 #28
Angry Dragon Dec 2011 #29
TheMadMonk Dec 2011 #12
Lasher Dec 2011 #13
ChiefHuntingBear Dec 2011 #31
FBaggins Dec 2011 #16
FourScore Dec 2011 #18
FBaggins Dec 2011 #21
bananas Dec 2011 #2
teddy51 Dec 2011 #3
underpants Dec 2011 #4
weedle Dec 2011 #10
okieinpain Dec 2011 #25
jimlup Dec 2011 #5
FBaggins Dec 2011 #17
jimlup Dec 2011 #23
FBaggins Dec 2011 #30
malaise Dec 2011 #6
FirstLight Dec 2011 #7
MoonRiver Dec 2011 #8
Fumesucker Dec 2011 #15
MoonRiver Dec 2011 #32
weedle Dec 2011 #11
boppers Dec 2011 #14
weedle Dec 2011 #24
bvar22 Dec 2011 #22
snooper2 Dec 2011 #19
Remember Me Dec 2011 #26
Blacksheep214 Dec 2011 #20
WhatsNext Dec 2011 #27

Response to FourScore (Original post)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:49 PM

1. This is a nuclear disaster that CANNOT be fixed ... will just have to live with it

I heard a nuclear expert explain that the melted nuclear fuel at this plant could not be stopped from passing through the concrete floor and into the ground.

He stated at that point it cannot be 'fixed' and the effects are going to be catastrophic for Japanese generations to come.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blackhatjack (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:42 PM

9. This will affect the world

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #9)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:12 PM

28. No. Both the OP and the post you're responding to are full of it.

Enenews.com apparently doesn't understand the difference between the wall of a building and a containment vessel.

The person you're responding to is citing someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care that fuel can't melt through anything with a temperature of less than 200 degrees unless it's containment vessel is made of butter.

Both are simply unfounded hysterical alarmism designed to scare people into listening. It's the nuclear power equivalent of Fox News.

Reply to this post

Response to TheWraith (Reply #28)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:22 PM

29. Okay

I will just forget that they do not have the situation under control and
that no one seems to know what they are doing.............

I will rest easy now

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:49 PM

12. An INDEPENDENTLY ACCREDITED expert?

Or self accredited?

If the fuel has not melted through by now it never will.

The "hottest" isotopes, have had long enough to decay and cool down to the point where they can barely heat coffee.

That doesn't mean that a physical collapse of the structure wouldn't create a huge mess, and quite possibly raise a cloud of dust. However, since the crap is relatively cold, it is also consolidated, so little of it will travel an enormous distance.

Right from the beginning, the problems here have been made worse for the wider community by attempting to maximise safety for those in immediate contact with the crisis. And pretty much every time the result was greater harm to the wider community.

The US fleet in port could have provided emergency power before the batteries failed. Instead they bolted for the high seas.

Earlier and more frequent steam venting directly to atmosphere, would have kept the cores cool enough to prevent meltdown at the expense of very short term (minutes to hours) localised contamination. Instead smaller quantities of steam mixed with hydrogen were contained inside the buildings. The steam condensed and the hydrogen exploded.

Today contaminated water could be put through an evaporator and vented directly to atmosphere, (or better bubbled into the ocean). The steam would be radioactive for only a very short time, and the actual contaminants would be concentrated in a far more easily handled form. But instead exmptions to dump highly contaminated water have been sought, approved, protested, reversed and revised.

Time and time again the impossible has been attempted in recovery and instead the results have been the disastrously possible.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMadMonk (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 05:21 AM

13. That is a very interesting post, MadMonk

Thought provoking.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMadMonk (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:24 AM

31. I agree with TheMadMonk completely.

There will not be "devastating consequences for... Japan... and North America" requiring "mass evacuations" when the tower that Ethan A. Huff is alarmed about collapses. Most of the nuclear fuel rods that were housed at Fukushima Daiichi are not there anymore. The de facto director of the CiA, Dr. John Chadwick Rockwell, who I have known since we were students together at Northwestern University in the early 1980s, ignited them, with three days of bombardment from the laser weapon in Gakona, Alaska officially known as HAARP, causing them to melt down and through their containment vessels, pour out of exhaust ducts, spill over bedrock and foul, not just a nearby area twenty times the size of Manhattan but also, through efforts to bring their temperature down, most of the land and water in the northern hemisphere and all the world's oceans, for the next hundred thousand years. The unnamed source who told Care News otherwise is wrong.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 06:01 AM

16. Has this "nuclear expert" ever seen Chernobyl?

What stopped that melted fuel?

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #16)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 09:48 AM

18. FBaggins, where did you get the pics from?

do you have a link?

Reply to this post

Response to FourScore (Reply #18)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:21 AM

21. Some blog that I can't get to. Sorry.

The pics aren't displaying for me (a work thing?), so I can't even grab the link from there... but they should be easy to find. Do a Google image search for "Chernobyl" and "Corium" and you'll find lots of sources.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:54 PM

2. k&r nt

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:57 PM

3. That really is scary to say the least. Between the bombs of the Second

World War that fell on Japan, and now this. These people know all to well what being Nuked is about.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:58 PM

4. What does this have to do with Lindsay Lohan?

Thanks for the update. The media will only mention this midday when no one is watching.

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:36 PM

10. If they even air it then!

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:38 PM

25. they will. you have better faith in them then I do. n/t.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:01 PM

5. I've followed this as closely as I could and as I recall this is one of the nightmare senarios

Not that it is the only one but dumping the spent fuel pool due to containment building failure is one of the things Arnie Gunderson has been worried about. This is terrible... I think that only people with some understanding of the technical issues realize how bad.

I'm not saying that one has to be a technical expert to know it is bad; just that it does require some technical understanding to realize the scope of this is all but unfathomable.

Reply to this post

Response to jimlup (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 06:05 AM

17. Jumping to conclusions

On what basis do we assume that the south wall lends any structural support at all to the SFP?

There were a couple walls that have been unstable for months and thus a hazard to workers in the area. Do we even know that it wasn't demoed itnentionally?

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #17)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM

23. Sure and we should be careful you are right.

However we know already that TEPCO will not tell us the truth so we have to be skeptical of what they say and keep our eyes open. This is so bad that there is only the hope that TEPCO did indeed bring down the South Wall intentionally and that they are moving to shore up the fuel rods waiting precariously in those pools.

Reply to this post

Response to jimlup (Reply #23)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 07:59 AM

30. We may "know already that TEPCO will not tell us the truth", but this source is even worse.

They make up wild theories at the drop of a hat (or repeat wild unfounded speculation from similar sites).

A month or two back they saw a series of night photos from a webcam showing what appeared to me as a light fog rolling in and a work light on one of the reactors. How did they interpret it (and what was the story that spread around the web on similar sites)? "FUKUSHIMA IS ON FIRE!" along with the standard speculative BS that finds some way to translate whatever is going on into the worst possible scenarior.

In this case they compared a fuzy "before" picture and noticed a significant change and did the same dance. The wall had "collapsed" and even though those wall panels couldn't possibly provide any of the structural support for the fuel pool, it just had to mean that the pool was in danger of collapsing and (supposedly) making all of northwestern Japan uninhabittable.

The reality was just what I presumed it was in the earlier post. They've been removing parts of the structure intentionally and have been doing so for about a month.

http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/12/fukushima-i-nuke-plant-reactor-4-is-not.html

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:02 PM

6. We were warned

What a disaster

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:06 PM

7. this is so big

and will affect so many...I weep for Japan, but also recognize the Pacific ocean and all people who fish it are going to get hit too.. bad juju

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:22 PM

8. With all Japan's troubles regarding the tsunami and nuclear reactors,

one would think they would NOT take funds away from their desperate people to hunt sentient whales. Japan's government is corrupt and barbaric beyond belief!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16064002

Reply to this post

Response to MoonRiver (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 05:47 AM

15. Meh.. The USA took funds away from their desperate people to hunt sentient bipeds..

In a war based entirely on lies..

You might recall what happened to New Orleans when Katrina struck.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #15)

Wed Dec 14, 2011, 02:21 PM

32. Two wrongs don't make a right. n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 09:38 PM

11. I would stop buying anything from Japan

I dont think anything is safe coming from Japan anymore. It would just be nice if the government was more upfront about the massive damage and unrepairalble damage that has been caused.

Reply to this post

Response to weedle (Reply #11)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 05:36 AM

14. Good luck with that.

Try to buy a car, a TV, or a computer, without *any* parts coming from Japan?

You can't.

Reply to this post

Response to boppers (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM

24. Unfort. your right

Its hard to know where every part comes from. However, it is possible to not buy food from Japan as well as research where things come from. As far as what you listed well I don't purchase those items on regular basis. But they need to monitor the items coming better. But the bigger issue is the mass of debris headed our way that is two times the size of texas!

Reply to this post

Response to weedle (Reply #11)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:21 PM

22. Do the fish products you buy in the market....

...have country of origin labels?

You will know them by their WORKS,
not by their excuses.
Solidarity99!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 09:57 AM

19. I think this should be moved to creative speculation

Anything other than a really blurry fucking picture and somebody's blog?

Enenews.com is dedicated to providing the latest information pertaining to the Fukushima nuclear crisis.

Iím not an anti-nuclear activist. In fact I never thought much about nuclear power before, even though I live near two nuclear plants.

Iím not a lawyer trying to sue, nor am I affiliated with anyone involved with nuclear power.

Iím someone who thought the coverage of Fukushima and its consequences was not being given the attention it deserved, so I started a website with my own time, money, and effort.

LOL

Reply to this post

Response to snooper2 (Reply #19)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 02:57 PM

26. I think adults can determine for themselves what to believe or give

credence to, and don't need others deciding for them. The blog is quite open about its credentials. That's enough.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:21 AM

20. Action Item

It's time for Japan to design and build the heaviest lifting, rad hardened, preferrably remote control helicopters and sea vessels ever.

There are only 3 ways to decon anything. Time, if you have a few hundred thousand years, Covering, ala Chernobyl. Entomb the mess in concrete but it doesn't make the problem go away, or Removal.

After Hiroshima, bulldozers pushed the top contaminated layer of soil to the edges of the city and rebuilt on the clean surface. BUT, that was an air burst. Minimal radiation unlike a surface blast or meltdown.

I see aircranes with claws pulling these reactors apart piece by piece and flown to lead lined ships, sealed and sunk in the Marianas Trench. Sorry Greenpeace.

When the worst and hottest is removed, then you scrape the surface away.

That's my solution other than doom and gloom.

Reply to this post

Response to Blacksheep214 (Reply #20)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 02:58 PM

27. Too late now, but I thought a massive cofferdam could have helped

contain further release of contaminants. Then fill and cap. Oh well. I actually had a tweet chat w/some closer to the situation in Japan back in the beginning of April. Babelfish is your friend, when talking w/others w/different languages.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

http://www.edwatersandsons.com/Cofferdams.htm

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread