HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Progressive Faith Renewed...

Sun Jun 3, 2012, 07:06 PM

Progressive Faith Renewed By Recall Vote - John Nichols/CapTimes

Progressive faith renewed by recall vote
JOHN NICHOLS | The Capital Times
6/3/12

Robert M. La Follette

<snip>

Last Saturday, when my mom and I drove into the valley where our ancestors settled more than a century and a half ago, we were greeted by a huge “Barrett -- June 5” sign. Hand-painted with care, in Wisconsin red and white, and displayed in front of a farmhouse on the turn that leads into Wyoming Valley, it was a powerful reminder that June 5’s Wisconsin gubernatorial recall election has its roots in the rural regions and small towns of the state.

That’s where the progressive movement of a century ago took shape. This was the movement for which my great-grandfather and his friend John Blaine campaigned in Boscobel and Blue River, in Lone Rock and Spring Green and across the farm country of Grant, Lafayette, Richland and Iowa counties.

It is the progressive movement that gave Wisconsinites the power to hold elected officials to account with the recall. Robert M. La Follette spent the better part of two decades campaigning to add the recall power to the constitution, and he did so for a reason.

“The recall enables the people to dismiss from public service those representatives who dishonor their commissions by betraying the public interest,” argued La Follette.

There was an element of moralizing in what La Follette said, and that was what his rural backers wanted.

Elected officials weren’t supposed to campaign on one set of themes and govern on another. They weren’t supposed to “divide and conquer” the state. They weren’t supposed to collect $500,000 checks from billionaires, and gather most of their campaign money in other states. They weren’t supposed to have criminal defense funds.

Those were the sorts of abuses that the progressives of a century ago thought about when they campaigned to amend the constitution to allow for recall elections. They did not worry so much about high crimes and misdemeanors -- there were prosecutors and courts to deal with those issues. They worried about what La Follette referred to as “the money power, and the extremes to which crooked politicians might go to satisfy campaign contributors.”

“By the recall, a faithless public official may be retired without waiting for the evil to be fully consummated,” said La Follette.

<snip>

More: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion/column/john_nichols/john-nichols-progressive-faith-renewed-by-recall-vote/article_90facba0-ac2d-11e1-91c2-001a4bcf887a.html

13 replies, 2042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Progressive Faith Renewed By Recall Vote - John Nichols/CapTimes (Original post)
WillyT Jun 2012 OP
xchrom Jun 2012 #1
HereSince1628 Jun 2012 #2
WillyT Jun 2012 #4
Iwillnevergiveup Jun 2012 #3
rhett o rick Jun 2012 #5
WillyT Jun 2012 #6
rhett o rick Jun 2012 #7
woo me with science Jun 2012 #8
rhett o rick Jun 2012 #9
woo me with science Jun 2012 #10
rhett o rick Jun 2012 #12
malaise Jun 2012 #11
WillyT Jun 2012 #13

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Sun Jun 3, 2012, 07:20 PM

1. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 3, 2012, 08:22 PM

2. Everytime I see that picture, I think Martin Sheen sure looks a lot like Bob

And this nation could really use a movie that makes a hero of a guy fighting for Progressive causes.

Reply to this post

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 12:00 AM

4. + 1,000,000,000... What You Said !!!

Agree on both counts.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 3, 2012, 08:59 PM

3. Kickin'

And John Nichols deserves muchos kudos for all he has done!

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 12:03 AM

5. To be clear, it's progressive that are fighting the good fight not the "everything is fine"centrists

It's past time for the "please dont demand too much" crowd to bow out. We have been getting the shaft for 30 years and you have been accepting it as better than Hitler. Get out of the fucking way. It's time for the progressives to kick ass and fight for our freedoms that you let slip away while you were playing footsey with your friends on the other side of the isle.

Let me remind you that progressive are democrats. And I am sick and tired of compromise. I want my freedoms back and willing to fight for them.

If you think the Patriot Act the MCA, domestic spying and indefinite detention are not so bad, then you are the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #5)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 12:21 AM

6. You Will Get NO Argument From Me...

We've been "keeping our powder dry" for over 30 fucking years now, and look where that has got us.

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #6)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 08:50 AM

7. Sorry my frustrations got the best of me.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 09:45 AM

8. Don't ever apologize.

Last edited Mon Jun 4, 2012, 10:36 AM - Edit history (1)

Don't ever apologize. It needs to be said, because this tolerance for Republican policy from people in Democrat suits is killing this party and this country.

We need an opposition to corporate fascism and neocon policy, and the Third Way have taken it as their role to mock and sabotage and kill that opposition from within. We have seen it with Occupy and with opposition to austerity budgets and union busting and the police state. And now the slaughter of innocents by drone.

I think many Democrats liked the idea of a big tent and denied to themselves what the Third Way really is: staunch defenders of Republican policy in all matters relating to economics and war and the police state, identifying themselves as Democrats to infect the party with corporate/right wing ideology. I think Democrats naturally want to be inclusive and welcoming, but had no idea just how far the Third Way cheering and activism for Republican and neocon policy would go, and just how ugly it would get.

Well, we see it now, don't we? The cheerleading of Bushco-like policy now extends up to and including the drone slaughter of innocents for the corporate war machine. We lived through Bush. We remember these hideous arguments and these attitudes from the Freepers then, because Democrats stood against them in unison and decried them together. Now we are told they represent the "moderate" faction of the Democratic Party.

Keep saying what you said, loudly, because our party matters, and we are deep, deep trouble as a nation. It is impossible to solve a problem without first acknowledging it.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #8)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 09:56 AM

9. Thanks, I needed that. nm

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #9)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 10:37 AM

10. And Democrats need you.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #10)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 02:11 PM

12. I am not giving up. Even if we lose in WI, we need to keep up the

pressure.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 11:01 AM

11. La Folette must have foreseen the rise

of scumbag reTHUG Walker

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #11)

Mon Jun 4, 2012, 07:11 PM

13. I'm Sure He Saw Enough In His Lifetime Too...

The crooked bastards NEVER go away.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread