HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mike Elk gets microphone ...

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 05:50 PM

Mike Elk gets microphone ripped out of hands

A labor reporter who questioned a CEO had a thug rip his microphone out of his hands.

A labor reporter found his microphone ripped out of his hand on Thursday when he asked a major CEO about his company's business practices.

Mike Elk, who writes for In These Times magazine, was attending a forum on Capitol Hill where David Cote, the CEO of Honeywell, was taking questions. Cote has close ties to the Obama administration, and President Obama is appearing at a Honeywell plant on Friday. At this forum, however, he was the guest of a Republican congressman.

During the question-and-answer portion, Elk (who used to blog for The Huffington Post) stood up and began asking Cote about anti-union practices within the company, as well as a recent radioactive gas leak at one of his plants. A videographer for Republic Report filmed what happened next.

As he continued his question, though, a man in a suit kept trying to lunge for his microphone. Eventually, he yanked it out of Elk's hands.

Of course if he slobbered all over Mr. Cote's hind parts they probably would have let him go on for hours.

13 replies, 2428 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 05:54 PM

1. These advocates of the police state and unlimited surveillance

... forget that everything they do is on video. All part of the disconnect. I'm seeing it more and more: these people do not connect act and consequence.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to malthaussen (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 06:31 PM

2. I think they do connect act and consequence. When a person is attacked in public, they often freeze

And don't fight back, in order to not get in trouble themselves. It causes something ike a state of shock to be manhandled in what one thought was a valid place to question the employer of this man.

The guy yanking the microphone, may have gotten instructions beforehand to stop any uncomfortable questions. We saw this happen in the Bush era and most of the GOP meetings where people were dragged out if they asked the wrong thing. And if they were on private property like some of the Teabaggers like to do meetings, the 'guest' has no privileges.

The guys was like Romney, likely had a successful career of bullying others and not being punished for it. I doubt he will be taken to account for this, either.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 06:35 PM

3. Interesting thought

But darn you, now you've gone and messed up one of my pet theories.

My fault for confusing "ought" with "is."

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 07:05 PM

4. He was just doing what he'd been told to do. This was pretty much a closed meeting.

Even though it took place on 'The Hill,' and I don't like this practice, this is becoming more and more common, to treat these meeting rooms and offices as the private property of representatives.

I really hate these public/private type of meetings, but the American public, or a sufficient portion of it, don't think what this really means. It's corporatism, the first step of fascism.

Corporations are run in hierarchical, non-democratic fashion as they treat their employees as members of different classes to be handled as they please. In their view, this guy was not performing his part in their machinery. I'm glad he wasn't violently assaulted or arrested.

Looking at the video for a few times, I'm withdrawing my accusation of the 'yanker' as being a bully. There was a bit of eye contact going on and he was following orders. The boss had told the reporter to stop, and he didn't. They said that the meeting was about job creation and not general questions.

In that context, our beleaguered but progressive reporter, was out of line. He did not come into the meeting to act with the group for their common goals. I would expect this group like most corporations, have made up their minds about labor unions. They consider the cost of labor and the upkeep of their employees a troublesome expense, as people tend to be demanding unlike robots.

He was in the wrong place in the wrong time and there was something working with him to film this and publicize his troubles getting answers. I'm not sure what the solution is. So many important issues of lives, and we are being shut out of the conversation.

Overall, I don't see this as an effective tool to change that situation. I noted in the Huffpo comments they seemed to blame Obama for all of this. I don't, he has to work with what we gave him. This is what years of letting the country slide has done to us, while capitalism and the funneling of wealth upward never, ever sleeps.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 07:26 PM

5. I don't think we should contextualize the freedom of the press

I get your point. But if we don't let reporters ask tough questions at inconvenient times, we'll never get the tough questions asked. From the corporate standpoint, the boy wasn't playing ball. But that isn't his job, either.

These veils of secrecy, of non-disclosure, of non-transparency are strangling public conversation. The blurring of lines between the public and private sectors, aye, and Citizen's United, are like some shell game to keep the facts from the people. And I agree, I'm damned if I know how to change it. All of the people in position to actually do something about it seem to like it the way it is.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 2, 2012, 04:13 PM

13. I'd never heard of either of the incidents he mentioned, either. If the public never hears about

it, when will the questions be raised?

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #4)

Sat Jun 2, 2012, 03:22 PM

10. "I noted in the Huffpo comments they seemed to blame Obama for all of this."

It's strange being that It was a "Republican sponsored forum."

"The event was a Republican sponsored forum that was billed by it's sponsor Congressman Tim Scott (R-SC) as an "an event for job creators and entrepreneurs from his district."

".......names of lobbyists from PhRMA (the pharmaceutical industry’s massive trade association), Koch Industries, and many, many DC-area law firms. We even spotted some of the most prominent influence peddlers on Capitol Hill, including Sean O’Hollaren, Honeywell’s chief lobbyist, who was walking around the room, greeting congressmen as they entered. Lynn Liddle, a “vice president of legislative affairs” for Domino’s Pizza corporation, was seen in the front of the room. “Legislative affairs” is corporate-speak for lobbyist."

"VIDEO: Congressman Tim Scott Holds Jobs Forum, But Room Was Packed With Lawyers And Lobbyists"
http://www.republicreport.org/2012/tim-scott-lobbyist-forum/

"I guess lobbyists and lawyers are now considered "job creators".

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 07:40 PM

6. What consequences? n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 08:09 PM

7. Mr. Elk forgot his pepper spray - he clearly needed a nonlethal defense weapon

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 09:10 PM

8. Looks like Journalists with real questions are Not allowed

No scrutiny...Just move along!

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 2, 2012, 03:04 PM

9. "Event was a Republican sponsored forum that was billed by it's sponsor Congressman Tim Scott(R)

"The event was a Republican sponsored forum that was billed by it's sponsor Congressman Tim Scott (R)"
found at link
Don't you this this story Needs a Closer look!

~"Cote has (close ties) to the Obama administration,"
Close ties? What?!

~Mike Elk,("the guest of a Republican congressman."), "asked a major CEO about his company's business practices." And somehow, President Obama gets blamed... (republican event)

~"David Cote, the CEO of Honeywell, was taking questions."

~"President Obama is appearing at a Honeywell plant on Friday."
Was this CEO with "close ties to the Obama administration" even at the plant on Friday?

The pictures show Obama with workers and their families..
"President Obama At Honeywell Factory":
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/01/mike-elk-microphone-honeywell_n_1562452.html#s=1047862

Here's a couple Comments from the link:

"why does something seem odd about this? hummm close ties to Obama? wasn't this a Republican sponsored forum?"

"Close ties to Obama, indeed... Sounds like a reporter's wet dream..."

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 2, 2012, 03:24 PM

11. Whatever happened to punching out someone who tries to lunge at you and yank shit out of your hands?

Reply to this post

Response to Zalatix (Reply #11)

Reply to this thread