HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Murder conviction of Illi...

Wed May 30, 2012, 07:28 AM

Murder conviction of Illinois man (16 years in prison) cleared by DNA evidence

For the fourth time in less than two years, DNA evidence has forced Lake County prosecutors to reverse course in a violent criminal case and exonerate a man who spent years behind bars.
The Reckling murder was one of several cases in which Lake County prosecutors insisted upon a suspect's guilt even after forensic evidence indicated his innocence. Edwards' case is the fourth to crumble beneath the weight of DNA evidence since August 2010.
Lake County State's Attorney Michael Waller personally helped prosecute him. Prosecutors knew at trial that blood evidence collected at the scene, Grand Appliance and TV in Waukegan, matched neither the victim nor the defendant, but they told jurors that didn't clear Edwards because the blood could have come from a store employee with a cut.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-edwards-charges-dropped-20120530,0,3313698.story

6 replies, 961 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Murder conviction of Illinois man (16 years in prison) cleared by DNA evidence (Original post)
AnotherMcIntosh May 2012 OP
pipoman May 2012 #1
raccoon May 2012 #2
rurallib May 2012 #3
AnotherMcIntosh May 2012 #4
Egalitarian Thug May 2012 #5
smaug May 2012 #6

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Original post)

Wed May 30, 2012, 08:15 AM

1. How many in prison are actually innocent?

How many will never be able to prove their innocence because there is no DNA? Imagine the horror of being charged with a crime you did not commit...you go into the court room believing that justice will set you free..then are found guilty after listening to the prosecution and police lie and make shit up...then are off to spend precious years of your life locked up like an animal with animals...so sad..

So many hereabouts calling for immediate justice for people charged whom they do not like. I prefer a fair trial and a good defense for every person charged with a crime with the onus of proof beyond a reasonable doubt being put on the prosecution...always. I would rather the laws lean in favor of difficulty on the prosecution and a few guilty walk free than making conviction too easy or hard to beat and innocents ending up in prison..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 30, 2012, 08:16 AM

2. Sure a good thing they hadn't already executed him. nt

Reply to this post

Response to raccoon (Reply #2)

Wed May 30, 2012, 08:34 AM

3. wasn't it Governor Ryan that stopped the death penalty in Illinois

because of so many cases like this?
Give the guy some credit.

Reply to this post

Response to rurallib (Reply #3)

Wed May 30, 2012, 08:52 AM

4. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Actually, it was known at the time that Ryan's office was corrupt and, among other things, publicity was being given to the fact that unqualified drivers who wanted to be semi-truck drivers could pay money to connected persons and obtain licenses to operate the big rigs. A family was whiped out by one of those unqualified drivers.

Within the legal community, there were bar association members who were increasily discussing the number of innocent people who had been convicted. (Thank the Illlinois judicial system for that. More than one person believes that the right kind of campaign contribution can get a person appointed to the bench. Just think of Blago who wanted to sell the Senate seat that Obama had vacated.)

The action that Ryan took was good.

Reply to this post

Wed May 30, 2012, 08:56 AM

5. Again. FFS how many innocent people have we already executed?

End this now. There is no blood-thirst worth continuing this abomination.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #5)

Wed May 30, 2012, 10:21 AM

6. I don't remember the source for this -

But I remember reading a few years ago (before delicious and other online bookmarking) that the FBI had stated that they cleared 37% of all accused persons who had had case evidence submitted to the FBI laboratory for analysis. I'd estimate that number is probably relevant today.

If I can remember or find that source, I'll post it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread