HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The New Capitalist Busine...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 07:14 AM

The New Capitalist Business Model: "30% of our headcount will be free student labor"

DD CEO John Textor: ďFree Labor Is Much Better Than Cheap LaborĒ

&feature=player_embedded

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/john-textor-free-labor-is-much-better-than-cheap-labor/

Itís one thing to work for low pay, itís another thing to work for free, but itís unfathomable to be expected to pay to work for free. The company intends to make money by not only creating content through huge subsidies provided by the Florida government, but by having a workforce of laborers who not only are working for free, but paying a tuition totaling $105,000 for non-residents which does not include food, housing, or transportation costs.

All of a sudden the things Iíve been blogging about in the VFX industry have rapidly become a reality. One of my first articles was criticism of a similar program being offered by Gnomon. I also wrote about how some companies capitalize on the allure of prestige starry-eyed prospects get. I pointed out instances in Montreal, and Michigan where rich US studios took advantage of generous government subsidies and still managed to leave VFX professionals unpaid...

And then Imageworks New Mexico closed as its clients changed their focus onto larger subsidies in Vancouver. The Department of Justice found VFX powerhouses like Pixar and ILM engaged in collusion and we now learn Steve Jobs was involved...

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-paying-to-work-for-free-vfx-business-model/

17 replies, 2373 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply The New Capitalist Business Model: "30% of our headcount will be free student labor" (Original post)
HiPointDem Apr 2012 OP
SammyWinstonJack Apr 2012 #1
HughBeaumont Apr 2012 #2
HiPointDem Apr 2012 #3
gtar100 Apr 2012 #4
HiPointDem Apr 2012 #5
white_wolf Apr 2012 #6
HiPointDem Apr 2012 #8
gtar100 Apr 2012 #11
aint_no_life_nowhere Apr 2012 #7
Zalatix Apr 2012 #10
MrScorpio Apr 2012 #9
woo me with science Apr 2012 #12
Fumesucker Apr 2012 #14
woo me with science Apr 2012 #16
NuttyFluffers Apr 2012 #13
varelse Apr 2012 #15
sweetapogee Apr 2012 #17

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 07:19 AM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:32 AM

2. Crapitalism coming to it's logical conclusion.

Has anyone gone to the DoL with this?

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 02:28 PM

3. kicking

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 02:38 PM

4. I wonder if he realizes what an ass he's making of himself.

He acts like it's such a great idea when really he has no common sense when it comes to ethics or integrity. Another user and abuser in a nice suit.

Reply to this post

Response to gtar100 (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:10 PM

5. heh. you may think so but the ruling class loves the idea. it's happening now, in fact.

"unpaid internships"

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:16 PM

6. but but...

they are getting valuable life experience and training. It should be required by law that all internships be paid at least a minimum wage. You know it kind of reminds me a quote from the movie Dragonheart "Honor won't feed my belly or shoe my horse." Well, "experience" won't feed me or put gas in my car.

Reply to this post

Response to white_wolf (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:28 PM

8. +1. And to repeat: I can't believe I'm seeing democrats repeat that anti-labor crapola.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:48 AM

11. Yes. I know that. Myopic vision in the business world is epidemic.

If we don't start calling it out for what it is... as this op does... it'll just continue to grow.

Legitimate internships do exist - for a short period of time one is placed in a real-world situation to gain experience and practical education. The idea is that those offering internships are also putting themselves out there to teach people. To offer internships solely on the motivation to get free labor...even as a profit model as this jackass in the video suggests... is just more corruption of our economic system. He's but another leech on the backs of people who really do work.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:24 PM

7. It's been happening in the movie business for years

The business is hard to break into unless you have family members already in it and the studios and production companies know it. They try to get you for nothing. When I came out of UCLA with a master's in film, I couldn't get over the fact that everyone expected me to work for free, even at such places as Disney. In the late 80s, the production company doing the TV series Friday The 13th looked at me with a straight face and wanted a six month commitment at 40 hours a week FOR FREE to look over their scripts and participate in creative development meetings. They didn't even want to pay for gas to drive into Paramount Studios.

Reply to this post

Response to aint_no_life_nowhere (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:30 PM

10. Imagine an America

where everyone works for free in hopes of getting resume enhancing referrals. Every job is a resume referral, no one pays.

That's what we're headed towards.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:28 PM

9. This is the most self-destructive aspect of our so-called capitalist system

They refuse to let the dollar circulate.

Frankly, when start seizing up from a back up of their own bile, I'd rather let them fail.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:50 AM

12. This, and 6 cents an hour labor from the prisons...

They have a whole new business model!

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #12)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 06:55 AM

14. New?

Oh no, it's a very old model, just with a new coat of lipstick on particularly disgusting pig.

Sometimes it just all seems so feudal.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #14)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 10:37 AM

16. "Sometimes it just all seems so feudal."

Now that's the perfect title for a book if i ever saw one.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 05:44 AM

13. K&R

approaching endgame people... and no, your previous genteel answers won't save us.

i need a no-longer-amused-by-the-drollery-of-life-but-too-tired-and-pessimistic-to-be-upset smilie.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 08:16 AM

15. And the plutocrats wonder why we're angry (nt)

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 11:18 AM

17. My I possibly be part of the problem?

And really is there a problem? Allow me to explain, I graduated in 1981 with an B.S. Education degree and have worked in technical sales since then. My original goal was to major in Medical Technology (B.S.MT) but I lacked the math background to finish the science aspects of the course load.

Now today, 31 years later I'm taking math courses at my local community college to get the math I need, in the fall semester I'm starting to re-take the science classes that I couldn't pass way back when and that I need to get that MT degree I wanted years ago. I intend to take as many classes as I can at the community college, pay as I go as a household "entertainment expense". I can do 1 or 2 classes per semester.

At a point somewhere around fall of 2016 I will have to do a 32 credit hour, 12 month internship. During that time I will be working/learning in a lab and getting some credits in medical/biological sciences. My plan is to reduce my current job work week to about 25-30 hours per week and hopefully that will free up enough time for me to do the internship and still pay some bills. I really want a lab to cooperate with my school, in this case it will be a state university so that I learn exactly what I need to know to function as an MT and get a feel for the actual working environment in that field.

I know full well that I need to pay for this internship and frankly I don't have a problem with it. If all I wanted to be is a Med. Lab Tech, I can do that now, learn on the job, but I aspire to a greater level of responsibility. I will be almost 60 years old when I start my internship and quite frankly I factor all this in the cost of getting an MT license and hope and will expect that the place I do my internship at does an excellent job of preparing me to work in the field. I want, in other words, the education and skills, plain and simple and I'm tending more toward appreciating that fact that there are labs out there that are willing to assist me in reaching my goal.

So, I guess I'm part of the problem, sorry if that offends some but I'm just being honest.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread