HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Today's "correcting ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:04 PM

Today's "correcting the wingnut" anecdote

So I heard the mail carrier discussing the troubles of the USPS with my neighbor, a really nice old man, but who listens 8 hours a day to hate-radio. The mail carrier is also a right-winger as I found out in discussions with him, but again he is super-nice.

So the mail carrrier mentions the 75 billion pension pre-funding as the cause. I meander over, and after some chit-chat, say "I don't want to get political, but Republicans passed that bill. Dems were against it." The neighbor threw up his hands, the universal sign language among Republicans for "Oh shit my side is wrong again. But everybody does it!" He just sort've pooh-poohed my facts. Then the mail carrier chimed in, "why?" I said Republcians want to get rid of the USPS and replace them with FedEx, UPS, etc. I said you'll pay $2 for a letter.

What was amazing about this exchange was the mail carrier. He said, "where does that profit go?" I said "shareholders & executives". He said, "well, that's OK"

UNBELIEVABLE! Both of these folks are no higher than middle, or lower middle class. But they defend the plutocrats like they themselves live in mansions. It was especially astounding to hear the mail carrier say this, as he was basically saying "I'd love to lose my job so some rich guys can get richer!"

9 replies, 1139 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Today's "correcting the wingnut" anecdote (Original post)
bongbong Apr 2012 OP
Speck Tater Apr 2012 #1
freshwest Apr 2012 #2
1StrongBlackMan Apr 2012 #3
rfranklin Apr 2012 #4
gratuitous Apr 2012 #7
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 #5
lady lib Apr 2012 #6
Courtesy Flush Apr 2012 #8
Arkana Apr 2012 #9

Response to bongbong (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:07 PM

1. All I can say is...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:13 PM

2. Plutocrats paid well for that propaganda. Aren't you glad to see it worked so well!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:25 PM

3. Maybe ...

You should have followed up to the POSTAL WORKER with:

"I'm sorry ... I'm confused. By your uniform, I concluded you worked for the USPS, not UPS or FedEx. What do you suppose will happen to your job, once those profits start flowing to those shareholders and executives?"

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:33 PM

4. You will be superfluous...and your pension will be stolen...

As a matter of fact, it already has been stolen by being used in the General Fund. They don't plan to tax the rich to make good on that obligation, do they?

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:30 PM

7. That occurred to me, too

"You think you'll still have a job? If you do, what sort of benefits do you think you'll have? And instead of a nice residential route with charming and delightful citizens, you will be making your deliveries on an impossibly shortened time schedule, competing daily against younger, stronger, faster delivery persons with some green-visored, clock-obsessed moron critiquing your every move."

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:37 PM

5. Many mail carriers are under the delusion

Thy will keep jobs and union wages...no serious. Have had this discussion with my husband's work mates.

Also some local unions are...highly dysfunctional and have the attitude management can do whatever. Yes, it's good to have the union, but unions are not what they used to...and you encountered one reason for it...propaganda works.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:24 PM

6. Along the same lines

I recently went into my local post office (in a very red part of the greater Phoenix area) and saw a postal worker with Ron Paul paraphernalia at his work station. Huh? How does that even work?? <shakes head>

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:47 PM

8. I see that attitude a lot

RWers believe that profit is everything, even if they have to go broke to make a profit for someone else. They have forgotten that the reason America has always supported big business was because it was good for Americans, and raised our standard of living. That's no longer true, of course, but they can't see that.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:50 PM

9. He said that because he thinks one day HE'LL be as rich as the shareholders

and the executives.

These people don't vote according to their current lot in life--they vote according to how they think their lives will be in the distant future. That's the problem. The American Dream has gone from a house, a family, and a car in the garage to "I'm gonna be RICH RICH RICH!!!!!!"

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread