HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » For all you raising chick...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 02:17 PM

For all you raising chickens in your backyard,

or interested in the subject... doing some research on Newcastle disease... so sharing the PDF from the USDA on this, as far as keeping your flock safe.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/content/printable_version/2011_bfb_calendar.pdf

For those of you going WTF over? This does not belong here. Let's put it this way, of Newcastle gets into commercial flocks it can cost you... in 1971 it was in the millions to get rid of it in California, and it changed the nature of the industry in San Diego County. It is literally before the outbreak, where it was a major part of the economy, and after the outbreak, it has not recovered... it's been two generations.

This getting into commercial flocks will affect your pocket book and make chickens and eggs more expensive.

No, it is hardly contagious to humans. Another day we can talk of Psitachosis. Oh and if you own parrots, have them seen by a vet as well, there are a slew of reasons... this is but one of them... they can be carriers. I also learned in my research Guinea Pigs can be infected too... which I am just sharing.

Yup many of us chose to have kids, of the feathered and furry kind, but we can, unwittingly, become carriers of a slew of things.

5 replies, 1327 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply For all you raising chickens in your backyard, (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 OP
LibertyLover Apr 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 #2
zappaman Apr 2012 #3
Cleita Apr 2012 #4
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 #5

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 02:47 PM

1. I have spots of old infections in the back of both eyes

that an eye surgeon finally identified as being from histoplasmosis. His next question - were you around chickens when you were young. My response was Well, yeah. My grandparents lived on a farm with a few chickens and whenever we visited, my grandfather delighted in taking me to the coop to look for eggs. So another thing to be careful of with respect to chickens.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LibertyLover (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:04 PM

2. Yeah there are real concerns

I am personally still for ackyard flocks...but peope shoud be aware. Pretty much I think we will be forced to.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:38 PM

3. "Pretty much I think we will be forced to."

Forced to what?
Be aware or have chickens in our backyard?
Suffice it to say, I will not let ANYONE force me to have chickens in my backyard!
Besides, my dog would eat them.
She has caught 3 birds in the last 2 weeks, yup she thinks she's a cat!

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:57 PM

4. We have bantam chickens but they are ornamental and mostly pets.

Family does eat the tiny little eggs though. I don't because they make me sick. I think they are too rich cause the spoiled little birds get premium feed and fresh produce.

Reply to this post

Response to Cleita (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 06:34 PM

5. You would not get Newcastle from the eggs

It is about how to keep your flock safe, or in my case the two conures, who coud be carriers as psitichathines.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread