HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Protesters at US party co...

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:36 AM

Protesters at US party conventions could pack heat

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Protesters-at-US-political-conventions-could-be-armed-.html

TAMPA, Fla. The thousands of protesters expected at the Democratic and Republican national conventions can come armed with a lot more than signs and slogans: State law in Florida and North Carolina allows concealed weapons, including guns.

In Tampa, where the Republicans will hold their festivities this fall, officials are starting to worry about people toting guns in such a politically charged environment. The City Council voted Thursday to ask Republican Gov. Rick Scott to help them temporarily ban concealed weapons. Charlotte officials have yet to publically voice concern, but with both cities trying to balance public safety with First and Second Amendment rights, it's likely the host city for the Democratic convention will also have to address the issue.

The Tampa City Council wants Scott to issue an executive order, preventing people with concealed weapons permits from carrying guns.

"We believe it is necessary and prudent to take this reasonable step to prevent a potential tragedy," council member Lisa Montelione said in a draft letter to Scott.

<more>

6 replies, 731 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Protesters at US party conventions could pack heat (Original post)
jpak Apr 2012 OP
KG Apr 2012 #1
bongbong Apr 2012 #2
Tesha Apr 2012 #3
madokie Apr 2012 #4
proud2BlibKansan Apr 2012 #5
saras Apr 2012 #6

Response to jpak (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:39 AM

1. squirt guns or pieces of string longer than six inches: a threat. real guns: not a threat.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:45 AM

2. Yes!

It's the NRA hard at work, protecting your right to intimidate and murder people you hate!.

OOPS! I meant to say, defend their re-definition of the 2nd Amendment!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:54 AM

4. Real men don't have a need for a weapon on them

I'm a mans man and I don't fuck with guns and if someone pulls one on me he or she had better have their titanium teeth in 'cause I'm going to feed it to them, barrel first.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Been there and done that

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:58 AM

5. Pass the law? Deal with the consequences.

Idiots.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:46 AM

6. Someone's watched too many Westerns...

...every disagreement is supposed to end with someone being thrown through a wall, chairs busted over heads, a whole row of liquor bottles shot down over the bar, and six-guns blazing everywhere.

And, of course, everything comes out peachy-keen in the end, and the next scene just picks right up with our heroes somewhere else altogether...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread