HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obamacare’ To Yield $1.3 ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:26 AM

Obamacare’ To Yield $1.3 Billion In Rebates For Consumers

?

by: Sahil Kapur- April 26, 2012, 1:30 PM 603995

A lesser-known but important provision in “Obamacare” that regulates how health insurance companies spend their money is yielding benefits for consumers, a new study finds.

By this August, insurers are projected to send consumers a total of $1.3 billion in rebates, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation analysis released Thursday — $541 million to large employers, $377 million to small businesses and $426 million to people with their own insurance plans.

The rebates are the result of a rule in the Affordable Care Act that requires insurance companies to spend at least 80 percent or 85 percent of premium earnings on health care — as opposed to marketing and administrative activities — or otherwise provide rebates to their consumers.

White House spokesman Jay Carney highlighted the figures at the top of his press conference Thursday as “yet another sign of how the Affordable Care Act is already strengthening the health care system for millions of Americans.”

read full article at: http://bureaucountydems.blogspot.com/2012/04/obamacare-to-yield-13-billion-in.html

4 replies, 10294 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obamacare’ To Yield $1.3 Billion In Rebates For Consumers (Original post)
mikekohr Apr 2012 OP
Kablooie Apr 2012 #1
freshwest Apr 2012 #2
Scuba Apr 2012 #3
ProSense Apr 2012 #4

Response to mikekohr (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:37 AM

1. Does anyone else get the feeling that the court is going to kill the whole thing?

The more positive things I hear about the medical plan, the more I feel it's doomed.

The conservatives are so unnaturally obsessed with defeating Obama that I fear they will kill Obama's ACA in order to complicate the election and eliminate an Obama success. The conservative justices seem to be as mired in Fox News think as the Tea Partiers.

We may be in for a very, very rocky, and possibly explosive election.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:06 AM

2. I can hear the GOP spin now: It's because of the Death Panels! It's blood money!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 07:19 AM

3. Excellent timing.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:25 AM

4. Good stuff, and

more:

HHS announces new Affordable Care Act options for community-based care