HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bill Moyers will not be i...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:23 AM

Bill Moyers will not be interviewed about LBJ by Robert Caro

I read this long article about the wonderful series of books by Robert Caro about LBJ. In there there is the following nugget:

"Caro has spent vast stretches of his life poring over documents, mostly at the Johnson Library in Austin — it alone contains forty-five million pages, held in red and gray boxes, many of which he is the only visitor ever to have opened, rows and rows of boxes stretched across four floors — and interviewing hundreds of subjects. Some have stopped talking to him; he lost Lady Bird Johnson's ear after the first book. Some have refused to talk to him altogether; Bill Moyers, the journalist and Johnson's former press secretary, has steadfastly said no for thirty-eight years. (Awkwardly, Moyers also has an office in the Fisk Building. Moyers did not respond to requests for an interview for this story, either.)"

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/robert-caro-0512-3#ixzz1sOyxGdrZ

Isn't Moyers a journalist? Doesn't he realize people need to know what he knows?

14 replies, 6547 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to AngryAmish (Original post)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 12:14 PM

1. maybe Moyers

signed a non-disclosure agreement or something like that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Apr 19, 2012, 08:04 PM

2. Bill Moyers has not covered himself with glory or credibility in relation to the JFK Assassination

Bill Moyers was one of the ones' ordering that the bubbletop to JFK's limo be taken off. I am not saying he, Bill Moyers, was involved in the JFK assassination, but certainly I am saying that about his boss Lyndon Johnson and military intelligence. Moyers keeps a lot of dark, ugly secrets about Lyndon Johnson.

(Still-Powerful-Today) Bill Moyers, LBJ'S #1 AIDE: "Get That God-damned bubble off unless it's pouring rain."

That info about Moyers came out in the HSCA in the 1970's: http://judythvarybaker.blogspot.com/2011/11/still-powerful-today-bill-moyers-lbjs-1.html

Bill Moyers, big time CFR guy, is one of the most prominent "lone nutters" in the media.

He knows a LOT about Lyndon Johnson and a LOT that he has told no one. Perhaps *some* of that will be in his memoirs.

Reply to this post

Response to 321Morrow (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:39 PM

3. Moyers was a Peace Corps exec under Kennedy. Not Johnson's assistant, as the link claims,

though he had a history with the Johnsons.

In his capacity of Deputy Director of the Peace Corps he wouldn't have been involved in plans for Kennedy's motorcade and wouldn't have had authority to order anything.

I call BS.

There's been an effort over the last ten years to pin Kennedy's assassination on Johnson. It's more BS.

And Moyers is reportedly writing his own book on Johnson. Why would he give material to Caro?

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 11:26 AM

5. Have you read the Caro series?

It is magnificent. I think they are my favorite books. Fantastic writing and incredible subject matter. This is the history of this man and his time - people will be reading these books in 500 years (assuming the language does not change too much).

I think Moyers has a moral obligation to talk to Caro.

Reply to this post

Response to AngryAmish (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 12:04 PM

8. Agreed about Caro's LBJ books - they are extraordinary.

Just re-read the first three volumes for the first time in about ten years. They set the standard for modern politico-biography.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 11:40 AM

7. Agree.

Yes, I think Moyers is simply avoiding the quickmire of would be hatchet jobs.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 24, 2012, 06:38 PM

9. Bill Moyers was in Austin, TX on 11/22/63

He was LBJ's aide who had left to go to the Peace Corps.

Then he came back and he was helping to do advance work for dinner for JFK in Austin, TX on the night of 11/22/63.

Moyers was one of the ones who ordered the bubbletop off (by phone) to an aide in Dallas. I am not saying Moyers was involved in the JFK assassination. This information about Moyers came out with the HSCA in the 1970's.

I *am* saying LBJ-CIA were deeply involved in the JFK assassination. Moyers could have be unwittingly relaying orders from Lyndon Johnson.

Moyers - after JFK was killed - flew up to Dallas where he was in Air Force One when Johnson staged his little swearing in for propaganda purposes. Moyers then flew directly to Wash DC with LBJ and Jackie and the dead president.

Reply to this post

Response to 321Morrow (Reply #9)

Tue Apr 24, 2012, 08:16 PM

11. Bill Moyers interned for one summer with LBJ in 1954. Then he went to college and worked

at the Johnsons' radio/TV station while in school. He was an aide during Johnson's presidential bid and during Kennedy's campaign.

He was appointed a Director of Public Affairs for the Peace Corps in 1961 and worked in the PC through 1963.

After the assassination he again became a Johnson assistant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Moyers

Moyers was not in Dallas on the 22nd. He was in DC. He flew to Dallas after hearing of the shooting.

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/bill-moyers

If you have any reliable evidence of Moyers being in Dallas before or during the shooting, please post it.

Reply to this post

Response to 321Morrow (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 11:31 AM

6. Actually JFK overruled the Secret Service on the bubble top and ordered it off for Dallas

it was a nice day out and he wanted the crowds to see him and Jackie. At one point, he even told Jackie (in the limo) to take off her sun glasses so the crowd could get a better look at her.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:39 PM

4. R#1 & K for, am waiting with baited breath. Three months ago I started reading the LBJ 3 volumes

because of a chain of small personal events. I had heard bits of things about the CARO books, had avoided them thinking that most of my adult life was under the news of JFK and LBJ and I didn't need to know more, the layers of "knowledge" had been, first, the news, then the emotional pits of the assassination and then Vietnam, then relief at letting it all fade away, then the tabloid junk, then the tabloid junk verified and repulsive, and then thinking it was all behind us.

But I guess I was finally ready, and the CARO LBJ was devastatingly mind boggling. How the man (CARO) steeps everything in context and the details down to the placement of eyeglasses on a shelf.

Perhaps it was better not to read them piecemeal as they were published one by one, but like this. With a month after reading Vol. 3, and waiting for the new one, I took a cue from a DUer (I think, Enrique?) and am now 2/3 through with The Power Broker. OMZ, for all the massiveness of THAT accomplishment, I could see it as a foreshadowing of what he would be doing with the LBJ.

OMZ.

On Edit: As for the post about MOYERS "Moyers keeps a lot of dark, ugly secrets about Lyndon Johnson. ...knows a lot about Johnson he hasn't told..." ---------uh, short of coughing up Tiberius style murders and orgies, he would be hard pressed to surpass the dark, ugly secrets about Lyndon Johnson" that CARO has been laying out for sunlight on a window sill.

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 24, 2012, 06:44 PM

10. Two good books to read about Lyndon Johnson

LBJ: The Mastermind of the JFK Assassination by Phillip Nelson:

http://www.amazon.com/LBJ-The-Mastermind-JFK-Assassination/dp/1616083778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335307226&sr=8-1

And a hugely important book, which I think is a psychological smoking gun to the JFK assassination: "Power Beyond Reason: The Mental Collapse of Lyndon Johnson:"

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Beyond-Reason-Collapse-Johnson/dp/1569802432/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335307289&sr=1-1

Robert Caro simply is not addressing the ugly facts of Lyndon Johnson's "Passage *to* Power." For Caro to ignore 48 years of very fine JFK research, much of it pointing directly to LBJ and CIA, is inexcusable.

If you want to get quickly “up to speed” on the JFK assassination, here is what to read:

1) LBJ: Mastermind of JFK’s Assassination by Phillip Nelson
2) JFK and the Unspeakable:Why He Died and Why it Matters by James Douglass
3) Brothers: the Hidden History of the Kennedy Years by David Talbot
4) The Dark Side of Camelot by Seymour Hersh
5) Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty by Russ Baker
6) Power Beyond Reason: The Mental Collapse of Lyndon Johnson by Jablow Hershman
7) Google the essay “LBJ-CIA Assassination of JFK” by Robert Morrow
8) Google “National Security State and the Assassination of JFK by Andrew Gavin Marshall.”
9) Google “Chip Tatum Pegasus.” Intimidation of Ross Perot 1992
10) Google “Vincent Salandria False Mystery Speech.” Read everything Vincent Salandria ever wrote.
11) Google "Unanswered Questions as Obama Annoints HW Bush" by Russ Baker
12) Google "Did the Bushes Help to Kill JFK" by Wim Dankbaar
13) Google "The Holy Grail of the JFK story" by Jefferson Morley
14) Google "The CIA and the Media" by Carl Bernstein
15) Google "CIA Instruction to Media Assets 4/1/67"
16) Google "Limit CIA Role to Intelligence" Harry Truman on 12/22/63

Reply to this post

Response to 321Morrow (Reply #10)

Tue Apr 24, 2012, 09:32 PM

12. Well, I'm on pre-order, and am waiting for the Vol. 4

Mister CARO is awesome. I've just finished reading his 1982 The Power Broker. OMZ.

Reply to this post

Sun May 6, 2012, 06:19 PM

13. Another good book on more limited scale

Last edited Mon May 7, 2012, 10:15 PM - Edit history (1)

Thanks for the list. What this means for our nation is heartbreaking. We are less than the "99 %". We are dupes in a master fraud.

Read "Mary's Mosaic" which led me to "LBJ: The mastermind...". I was in college when Kennedy was killed. I read an abridged version of the Warren report and felt I understood less after reading it than before. It seemed the whole document was meant to confuse. I had such simple questions: how did they determine it was Oswald so fast? Why did he kill Tippit? How did Oswald get from the TSBD to there and why? Why were the secret Service so slow to respond?

Was Oswald pro-Castro or anti-Castro? It was all so confusing. Now, unfortunately -and sadly- it starts to make some sense.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 10:54 AM

14. Secret Service treachery

To me, the most shocking and enduring proof of SS complicity is easily seen in the Z-film, though seldom mentioned. Who gave the order to the driver of the limo to come to a virtual stop in the kill zone? Bill Greer's job was to gas it and escape at the first unexpected loud sound. Instead, after the throat shot that came through the windshield and the back shot from behind, he hits the brakes and brings the car to a stop. He twists around twice to observe JFK as he stops the car. The motor cops almost run into the limo. Roy Kellerman is also seen twisting around to watch his boss instead of jumping on top of him, as was his job. They can both see that he's been hit. Greer watches until the head shot is made and then turns to the front and gasses it, mission accomplished. Kellerman ducks to avoid being hit by the many bullets that are flying. If this weren't the case, how could Clint Hill have made it from the Cadillac to the Lincoln as he did? The Lincoln should have been screaming away downhill after the first shots.

It doesn't really matter where the shots came from. What matters is what Greer and Kellerman did and didn't do. Greer made the coup de grace possible. He knew where the kill zone was and what to do when he got there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread