HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 11 bodies found in Chicag...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 15, 2012, 09:25 PM

11 bodies found in Chicago area cemetery chapel buried

Is it too much to ask that our dead be treated with dignity? I guess frigging so.

Eleven bodies were buried in a south suburban cemetery today after police learned they had been left unattended in a chapel on the site for up to a week.

Workers with a backhoe carried the bodies in caskets one by one to a burial site on a hill at Homewood Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Thornton as detectives from the Cook County Sheriff's Department looked on.

Dwayne Cook discovered the bodies in the chapel Wednesday while trying to visit the gravesite of a friend, Hershal Jordan, who had an internment ceremony at the cemetery earlier this week. Cook said cemetery employees guided him to where they said Jordan, who was to be buried through a state aid program, was laid to rest in an unmarked grave.

"When I got there, I said 'Something's fishy here,' " Cook said. "I just had a feeling. It didn't seem like a fresh grave." He let himself into the back room of the nearby chapel and found Jordan's casket and those of 10 other people scheduled for the state aid burials still inside.

2 replies, 992 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply 11 bodies found in Chicago area cemetery chapel buried (Original post)
47of74 Apr 2012 OP
southernyankeebelle Apr 2012 #1
HeiressofBickworth Apr 2012 #2

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Sun Apr 15, 2012, 09:42 PM

1. How the hell does something like this happen? Gees people should have a decent funeral at least.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Sun Apr 15, 2012, 10:07 PM

2. What a business plan

take money from the state for burying people and then don't hire the people necessary to dig the holes --- pocket the money.

I wonder what people were thinking -- did they not figure that one day all those stacked-up bodies might cause some questions. Probably not. They must have figured that anyone buried with state money must be some homeless, friendless, without family person who won't be missed. Even if they thought that, there is the contract with the state to provide services -- they obviously didn't respect that either.

I'm often appalled at what greed does to people's humanity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread