HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Al Sharpton, power player

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:09 PM

Al Sharpton, power player

Al Sharpton, power player

By Dana Milbank, Published: April 13

The Rev. Al Sharpton is lord of all he surveys.

“Check out this,” the flamboyant civil rights leader told me during breakfast at his organization’s annual meeting this week. He flipped through the program until he found a full-page ad with the logos of Fox News, the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal. “News Corporation Proudly Supports National Action Network’s 2012 Convention,” it said.

Sharpton grinned. “They bash me on Fox News,” he said. “But they sponsor my conference.”

Everybody wants to be on Sharpton’s good side these days. No fewer than five Cabinet officers and a senior White House official went to this year’s convention to kiss his ring. President Obama spoke at last year’s conference and has sought Sharpton’s advice on policy. Sharpton has a show on MSNBC five nights a week, and he doles out airtime to a procession of politicians and journalists (including me).

Wednesday night brought the sweetest moment yet in Sharpton’s long and controversial career: the announcement that Florida authorities would charge Trayvon Martin’s shooter. Sharpton, at the request of the boy’s parents, had done more than anyone else to bring the case national attention.

more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/al-sharptons-second-act-power-player/2012/04/13/gIQAZT4wFT_story.html

6 replies, 858 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Al Sharpton, power player (Original post)
babylonsister Apr 2012 OP
elleng Apr 2012 #1
bigtree Apr 2012 #2
babylonsister Apr 2012 #3
bigtree Apr 2012 #4
monmouth Apr 2012 #5
la la Apr 2012 #6

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:17 PM

1. No surprise for those who recall him in Dem primaries, '04:

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:22 PM

2. I like, understand, and appreciate Al Sharpton

I just can't get used to Milbank. I think this was just an excuse to muddle his recent successes with the man's past (media-hyped) mistakes and missteps. Ick.

(thanks for posting, tho)

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:27 PM

3. You could be right; I'm just glad Rev. Al is getting some respect. I like him, too. nt

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:53 PM

4. me too

I think the fact that Attorney General Eric Holder showed up and spoke at one of his recent events said everything about how the Reverend is regarded.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 08:43 PM

5. At President O's next inauguration I hope he chooses Rev. Al to give the blessing

or sermon or whatever those guys call it.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:28 PM

6. dana milbank was banished during Olbermann's time....

..and i'm sorry he's back ( milbank) Olbermann got it right!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread