HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Friendly reminder: mainst...

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:31 PM

Friendly reminder: mainstream media is pure propaganda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

-----Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the desired result in audience attitudes.

As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda, in its most basic sense, presents information primarily to influence an audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus possibly lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or uses loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the attitude toward the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda. Propaganda can be used as a form of political warfare.-----

People discuss propaganda as if it's real, IT'S NOT. As described above, its purpose is to "encourage a particular synthesis, or uses loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than rational response".

15 replies, 1532 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to just1voice (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:34 PM

1. dont forget the companies that own the media (GE = NBC.....)

They're just using their "news" divisions to get their positions expressed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NightWatcher (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:48 PM

5. Exactly right, nothing but corporate propaganda

They use their "captive" audience to promote their own self-interests, including the "news" which is nothing but a propaganda recital. GE products suck too, I've been boycotting them for years.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:38 PM

2. Pretty much sums it up

Consume at your own risk. A person needs to know where they stand and what they value and believe in. Then absorb MSM through a filter. You have to beware of the sway. Seriously.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:41 PM

3. It is worthless pap...

Nothing more...nothing less..

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:46 PM

4. Millionaires speaking for billionaires.

Reply to this post

Response to patrice (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 PM

7. Because someday they may be wealthy too...

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 06:54 PM

14. not me. i'm going backwards.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 PM

6. Yep, one could do a global replace for propaganda with MSM in that

article and the definition would fit MSM exactly.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:51 PM

8. You don't need to remind us -- it's the majority of Americans I'm worried about. nt

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:03 PM

9. I posted it here specifically because of the multitude of MSM believers

A lot of people really do not know they are being deceived and manipulated when watching MSM. Propaganda is extremely advanced and well-conceived over 100s of year of usage and is constantly trying to conceal itself as the bullcrap that it is and present itself as something viable.

I regularly catch myself believing some freakish paradigm invented by media whores until I remind myself that I was just being manipulated by master manipulators.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:29 PM

10. Most MSM reporting from conflict zones is black propaganda.

In conflict zones, there is often only one source of information - what gets handed out at the press conference in a safe, comfortable place (with a bar downstairs) far from the fighting usually ends up on the Evening News. Another large part of the problem is that corporate media have an axe to grind, and tend to publish what they want the public to learn. Most publishers and editors simply won't publish material from sources they don't like. This is a particular problem in places like Syria where there is no real reporting going on, just unchecked and unedited reports of what the opposition spokesmen in London claim.

Because of the instant multiplication of the Net, we see the same disinformation repeated over and over until its taken as truth. In recent months we've seen dozens of uncorroborated atrocity stories -- nothing more or less than communiques issued directly by opposition groups -- that end up being reported as facts in corporate-owned tabloids, and then reposted here. It's an organized and unrelenting flow of propaganda, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's shown to be false. They just pop up another communique from the same dubious sources.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:30 PM

11. Yes, yes it is.

The M$M is now a monster like the MIC.

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #11)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:47 PM

13. It's owned by the same corporations that have the same interlocking Boards of Directors.

Last edited Fri Apr 13, 2012, 05:32 PM - Edit history (1)

At one point when I looked early in the Iraq War, I recall the New York Times Corporation had Board members from Carlyle Group, Northrup-Grumman, and JP Chase Morgan.

Reply to this post

Response to leveymg (Reply #13)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 07:29 PM

15. And how about Judith Miller and her

willingness to withhold information so the BFEE could 'win' another election? Too many players acting neutral, but neck deep in managing their self created plutocracy while the govt bails them out in times of need.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:46 PM

12. I don't see it changing anytime soon either.

Alternative media is the only way to find real truth.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread