HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Does Ann Romney having mu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:34 PM

Does Ann Romney having multiple sclerosis and having had breast cancer affect your viewpoint?

Maybe I'm too soft or something, but I do feel some sympathy for her because of these serious illnesses she has had to deal with. I just don't see her in the same light as Willard, he is a phony and typical money grubbing, wealthy protecting, top 1% loyal republican that no one should pay any heed, but she seems to be a different mold. Am I way off base or do others feel a little like I do regarding her?

40 replies, 3202 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 40 replies Author Time Post
Reply Does Ann Romney having multiple sclerosis and having had breast cancer affect your viewpoint? (Original post)
quinnox Apr 2012 OP
seabeyond Apr 2012 #1
Raven Apr 2012 #2
blm Apr 2012 #3
MoonRiver Apr 2012 #4
Kingofalldems Apr 2012 #5
no_hypocrisy Apr 2012 #7
doh1 Apr 2012 #19
truebrit71 Apr 2012 #22
emulatorloo Apr 2012 #23
Rex Apr 2012 #6
xxqqqzme Apr 2012 #8
truebrit71 Apr 2012 #25
Kalidurga Apr 2012 #9
FrenchieCat Apr 2012 #10
jp11 Apr 2012 #11
eyeofnewt Apr 2012 #12
RebelOne Apr 2012 #13
jillan Apr 2012 #14
HappyMe Apr 2012 #15
JitterbugPerfume Apr 2012 #16
ananda Apr 2012 #17
riverwalker Apr 2012 #18
Demonaut Apr 2012 #20
EFerrari Apr 2012 #21
KamaAina Apr 2012 #24
emulatorloo Apr 2012 #26
Arkana Apr 2012 #27
Cirque du So-What Apr 2012 #28
mrmpa Apr 2012 #29
avebury Apr 2012 #30
Stinky The Clown Apr 2012 #31
ecstatic Apr 2012 #32
theaocp Apr 2012 #33
quinnox Apr 2012 #34
Tom Ripley Apr 2012 #35
malaise Apr 2012 #36
Quantess Apr 2012 #37
eridani Apr 2012 #38
DevonRex Apr 2012 #39
Capt. Obvious Apr 2012 #40

Response to quinnox (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:36 PM

1. neither for the good or bad because this is not about this woman.

go after people with money, for the issues, fine. but a particular person that is not running, no.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:37 PM

2. Having a DILwith MS and a close friend

who has battled breast cancer, I empathize with Ann Romney but I am also very disappointed that Ann has not used her status to showcase these diseases and push for more research. Either she has missed a good opportunity or she doesn't give a shit.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:38 PM

3. Then her husband shouldn't be so anxious to force OTHER women with breast cancer

and MS and five children and mortgages and low-paying jobs to make decisions whether they use that small paycheck to get proper treatment, pay their mortgage or feed their kids that month.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:40 PM

4. As a bc survivor I feel a kinship with every other victim of this disease.

But it has no effect on my feelings about her husband. IMO she is irrelevant. She wouldn't be making policies or choosing a cabinet. I think she just does Willard's bidding. IRRELEVANT.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:40 PM

5. She is not running and should be off limits anyway

The focus should be on Rmoney.

Reply to this post

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:43 PM

7. Mitt brought his wife, Ann, into the equation when he said that she

advised him about women's issues. This wasn't an interview for Ladies Home Journal.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:47 PM

19. but everyone needs their cheap shot at the other side.

this shit always happens

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:51 PM

22. Just like the focus was on Barack and not Michelle in the last election?

...she SHOULD be off limits, but that ain't the way the game is played anymore...

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:53 PM

23. Excepts she supports and spreads every lie her husband tells

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:42 PM

6. No, I would feel sorry for anyone that has cancer or sclerosis

still does not change how I feel about her character. I separate the two.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:44 PM

8. I am certain

her health care has been the best money could buy. Until every person is able to receive the same level of care, I will withhold any comment.

Reply to this post

Response to xxqqqzme (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:54 PM

25. My wife has breast cancer. We have insurance. GOOD insurance, and the bills are STILL going to break

...us...

Her medical history matters not one whit to me...she could probably cover our medical bills with the contents of her purse...

Reply to this post

9. No not really...

but others have made the point she should be more empathetic. She is towing the GOP line, so that alone makes her unsympathetic in my eyes. The only thing this shows is that no matter how much money you have you can still get a disease and money won't cure it. If you want a cure your best bet is to fund those people who are equipped to discover a cure. Republicans seem to have an aversion to funding science, so in a way, this is somewhat her parties fault, that we could be funding science more but we don't.

Reply to this post

10. The Battle being waged against women's reproductive rights,

has nothing to do with Ann Romney......beyond the fact that electing her
husband would gut those rights and choices that women fought for....

But you are doing exactly what those who want to program you wants you to do....
make it personal, when it is about policy.

Dick Cheney has a heart condition. Did that affect the way you feel about what he has
said and done?

Simply put.....You are being hosed. Enjoy!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:45 PM

11. I know nothing about her besides she is his wife, seems to go along with all his blowing in

the wind to get elected, etc.

Is she 'as bad as him' probably not but does she make him a 'better man' or hold his feet to the fire about the rest of the people who don't have it as good as he and her do? I doubt it, or he'd still be that 'moderate' like he was as Governor, maybe even somewhat progressive/liberal instead of the paint by numbers candidate spouting off just about whatever he's told polls well. Who has more sway over our views on the world than our family, our parents, our kids, our spouses/companions?

I 'blame' her for sticking with him being as he is, either she's okay with him being a D*** republican or she isn't and is with him for the lifestyle/etc, I can't see how she's from a 'different mold' and stays with a person like him while singing his praises and beating a drum for him.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:46 PM

12. no

I wish no one had these diseases. If they do, great to have the best treatment money can buy. But, no, it doesn't color my view of her as a stay at home mom. She lived a life of luxury while having plenty of help raising those kids. She got to choose to have five...knowing they could afford it. My sympathy lies with the mom with MS and breast cancer without the help and with no insurance, and I'm sure many of these work on top of child rearing and managing their diseases. Even with insurance, co-payments can cripple those of us without large incomes.

It's a sad day anyway when this became an "issue"...one comment they can use as an attack on women by the Dems. Ha! Wait until the women with no contraception has to stay home with 6 kids! Of course I don't think stay at home moms don't work...it's a killer; I've done it. But I did it alone, not a cook or housekeeper or nanny in sight. She's a different mold alright-different from most Americans.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:48 PM

13. I worked with a woman who had MS

and I have complete sympathy for anyone with that disease. She had to take long periods off work and finally had to quit. She was using a cane most of the time. She was only in her 20s.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:49 PM

14. Yes and No. If you compare her to Elizabeth Edwards, I had alot more compassion for Elizabeth.

The thing with Ann is her comments.
When she says that she doesn't think of herself as rich - that really pisses me off, and makes me lose respect for her.

I'm sorry. I have worked with women who were going thru chemo and still had to work.
The woman at my UPS office wears a scarf to cover her bald head.

How lucky she is to have the kind of life that she has so she is able to heal. Not everyone has that luxury and if she should speak more about that, and speak out against cuts being proposed to other women's healthcare, then maybe I would feel different about her.

A comparison to me is Sarah Palin. She, like me, is the mother of a special needs child.
I never felt any kinship to her even tho we had that in common because she was promoting policies that hurt the special needs community. The Republican in my life could never understand why I didn't like her. It's because of what's in their hearts, not their personal journeys that pushes me away.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:50 PM

15. She isn't running.

The focus should be on Mittens, not her.

I do have sympathy for her in her battles with these horrible diseases.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:52 PM

16. I just can't help remembering--

There has been horrible racist things said about Michelle Obama, and she has endured them with grace.I also remember the sexist and cruel remarks Hilary endured.

We pretty much left Laura Bush alone except for remarking about her atrocious fashion sense and her dull personality.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:58 PM

17. Her experiences s h o u l d ...

... make her more empathetic and compassionate towards poor women
who don't have her wealth and access to healthcare.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:19 PM

18. hell no

she is still pampered and self absorbed. When has she ever cared for anything besides her own offspring (narcissistic when you think of it)?
I remember when Jimmy Carter's 60 year old mother joined the Peace Corps. Think of all the good Ann Romney could do with all the time and money at her disposal. She supports the wars, but makes sure none of her precious brood has to serve their country. I look at all the work Michelle does for our veterans and their families.
Can't stand Ann Romney, she is the recipient of blood money, and the gloves remain off.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:49 PM

20. nope, not at all

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:51 PM

21. I don't have a viewpoint of Ann Rmoney.

She's a rich lady who doesn't need my attention.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:53 PM

24. Indeed it does.

It makes me think even less of Willard, if that were even possible, for continuing to oppose stem-cell research even though it might help his wife. That's the same heartlessness that leads someone to drive 700 miles with a dog on the roof of his car.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:56 PM

26. I feel sympathy for her health struggles. Her husband tells FreeRepublic-style lies

Unfortunately she appears to support and promote those lies.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:56 PM

27. Not really.

Illnesses or no illnesses, Ann has never had to make the choices most poor and middle-class mothers have had to make. She's never had to want for anything. I have little sympathy for her.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:03 PM

28. I don't see what one thing has to do with the other

Sure, I have sympathy for anyone who has serious health problems, but that doesn't excuse her as an enabler for misogynistic legislation or any other facet of conservatroid ideology. AFAIC, if she's in good enough health to be a willing participant in a propaganda war that hurts 99% of her gender, then she's healthy enough to accept the flak that rightfully accompanies it.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:03 PM

29. The MS issue doesn't come into play for me with Ann Romney...........

my hairdresser has MS, she works 5 days a week, her husband is unemployed, her insurance sucks and she keeps on truding along, that's when the issue comes into play for me.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:07 PM

30. Heck no. Romney was the one that put her into the spotlight

and she stepped into of her own accord. While it is too bad that she has had medical issues it is ridiculous that she tries to act like she is like the majority of stay at home. With her wealth, she never had to worry about paying her medical bills. Most women don't move from mansion to mansion, drive luxury vehicles, send their children to the best schools (money is not an issue), supervise the hired help, go horseback riding on horses from her own stable. She has lived an extremely privileged life and has no clue how the most of us live. I haven't even seen any evidence that she ever bothered to become publicly involved with any groups that are fighting to find cures for the illnesses she experienced. That could have given her some street cred as a serious person. As it is, I just see her as a member of the 1% who is clueless and could care less about the 99%. Romney and his wife are just two peas in the same pod.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:39 PM

31. People with all sorts of challenges can be assholes or angels.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:40 PM

32. It makes me angry that she wants to take healthcare away

from other women with pre-existing conditions.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:45 PM

33. I empathize, but do not

sympathize. She hasn't earned that.

Reply to this post

Response to theaocp (Reply #33)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:46 PM

34. interesting answer

that is a good distinction that I did not consider.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:24 PM

35. No, why should it?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:35 PM

36. No n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:38 PM

37. I have no animosity toward Ann Romney.

I just don't want her to be first lady, that's all.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:41 PM

38. Pain is pain, and money doesn't make it go away

However it is sure nice to have the best possible care for those conditions, which millions don't get.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 04:54 PM

39. Of course. She's human. She has experiencedpain.

MS is incurable. She has no clue what it might do to her later on, no matter how much money they have.

I try not to get involve in these kerfuffles anymore. I learned my lesson with Elizabeth in 2008. They're always dragged into it for a purpose and it's usually not good. It never ends well. We get all upset. We all end up feeling guilty. Somebody has to apologize. Many people have to apologize, really.

Being soft is a positive, not a negative. It means you care. That's why we're different.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 05:02 PM

40. It does

My heart goes out to her for her struggle with disease and the access to the best health care money can buy and unlimited amount of help from nannies, maids, etc, and the dressage horses she can ride to clear her mind and her cadialacs she can drive to see her doctors or just get away from it all.

To other people on this thread saying she's off limits - she put herself right in mosh pit. That's where slams happen.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread