HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ann Romney knew she'd nev...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:41 AM

Ann Romney knew she'd never work from day one, that's the difference

Wealthy women like Ann Romney, the Bush twins, Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, even Princess Kate Middleton etc etc - these women were born wealthy and the thought that they are "choosing" to work is laughable in comparison to the rest of us.

While some very few wealthy women "choose" to work like Jane Addams or Eleanor Roosevelt, most wealthy women of that class simply become country club matrons (or in Ann Romney's case a dressage queen) whose "work" simply means chairing charitable events.

I've got a dressage queen in my barn now. She comes from money, graduated from law school, and immediately married a hedge fund manager. She's never worked a day in her life although yesterday she was loudly defending Ann Romney who "chose" to "work" as a SAHM. This woman takes private jets everywhere, has never ONCE flown commercial. She has nannies, butlers, maids, a dog walker etc. etc.

I agree with Will Pitt that its a slippery slope when we get into trying to parse the "work" of SAHM but come on, the reality is that these women are operating in a completely different financial league and I believe it's more than fair to critique their claims of "work". Perhaps its more imperative to closely examine their claims about "choosing" to be a stay-at-home mom as a "career" in light of their fantastic financial advantage and what they really could have been doing with their time.

14 replies, 2030 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to riderinthestorm (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:44 AM

1. There was a great Doonsebury cartoon in which Jane Fonda is lecturing a cleaning lady

on the importance of exercising. When the woman notes that she is too busy to excersie much, Fonda replies that as an actress, activist and what not no one is busier than she is. To which the cleaning lady replies (as near as I can recall) "The difference is that you are as busy as you want to be. I am as busy as I gotta be." Pretty accurate description.

Bryant

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:45 AM

2. Actually, Kate Middleton wasn't born rich.

When she was a teenager, her parents made a fortune after starting an internet company selling party supplies. Before that they were "middle class." Just saying.

Reply to this post

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:51 AM

6. Fair point but by the time she was an adult though, she knew she was never going to have to work

if she chose not to.

From my own personal anecdotal experience, there's just a different mind-set when these women become adults about "work". They've never fretted about "having" to get a job, or student loans, or trying to find insurance, or what have you. Its a whole different premise and it colors the conversation especially when it comes to things like "choosing to work" or being a SAHM and what kind of "work" that is....

I just find Ann Romney being extremely disingenuous in her comments. Offensively so and I think that's what's come across as so wrong.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:46 AM

3. I've both worked and stayed at home. Staying at home means you only have one "job"--

and you have all day and night to do it. Working outside the home means you have two jobs and less time to get it all done.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:47 AM

4. right, and this gets back to the real difference between the 1% and the 99%

those near the top of the 99% live might live in nicer houses and drive nicer cars, but still HAVE to work for a living and worry about what happens if they lose their job or their ability to work altogether.

for the 1%, work is optional. many of them choose to work, but it's VERY different when work is for strictly for fun and games and personal enrichment and maybe, maybe, a sense of responsibility or duty, but definitely NOT necessity.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:49 AM

5. When did one of those rich moms ever worry about the cost of daycare so she could go to work?

That's the difference.

Edit for grammatical mistake

Reply to this post

Response to Hepburn (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:52 AM

8. Yup. Exactly right. Ann Romney's just being extremely disingenuous in her comments

and those of us on the other side know it. And viscerally react to it.

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:09 AM

13. That is what got to me.

I was working a full time job and going to law school full time at the same time. My son was young then and I had to have child care. My parents helped with night classes, but my mom and dad both worked back then.

Trying to figure out tuition, books, monthly bills, day care expense, groceries, etc. Tell me any time in her life Ann Romney had to worry about any of that?

And...how about saving for higher education for her 5 kids??? WTF??? Tell me if she and Mittens had an educatiion saving account for any one or all of their children.

Fuck her and her bullshit and the Caddie she rides in.

Edit for typo

Reply to this post

7. This is an important point: knowing that you and your children will never need to worry about money.

It separates your life experience entirely from most of the rest of humanity.

Reply to this post

Response to enough (Reply #7)

9. +1000000 nt

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #9)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:20 AM

10. We are trying to decide if we can afford a new vacuum

and once we can afford it we will be the ones to use it. It won't be our maid, our nani, our driver or our horse trainer.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:28 AM

11. From day one, their church has dissed working mothers.

they tout from the pulpit over and over that a woman's place is in the home raising little mormon missionaries and new mothers. Their earthly job (in order gain heavenly entrance) job is 'help-meet' and houselceaner...oh sorry organizer. It's only been the last couple of years the mormondom leadership have decided that the 'stay at home mom meme' isn't practical any more. besides,,,more workers, more tithing. I remember the big news when they finally conceded that some women must work and they should not be vilified. As if 150 years of previous vilification is suddenly gone.

The Romney's not only don't need to work 8-5 every day for 30 years for health care insurance and a paycheck, they can afford to pave their path to heaven in gold bricks, oh and obedience to the doctrines and rules touted from their mormon leaders pulpits.

Reply to this post

Response to Sheepshank (Reply #11)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:09 AM

12. So Ann Romney's "choice" to be a SAHM is part of her religious culture as well?

Of course that little factoid wont get any play in the mainstream media....

Don't you think it's weird the way their Mormonism is really played down?

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #12)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:12 AM

14. My best friend in HS turned Mormon when she met a Morman guy

She has turned into a puke and I have had nothing to do do with her for about 40 years. She and her spouse looked down their nose at me cuz I was not one of their blessed cult.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread