HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Do Working Mothers find A...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:00 AM

Do Working Mothers find Ann Romney obnoxious?

I find her very obnoxious, as the child of a Mother who HAD to work to provide a decent life for me. My Mother, who had to do EVERYTHING Ann Romney did and MORE. And she had to do it while working full time.

Not having to find a job is a luxury, not a choice. The choice is having a roof over your children's head or going to work. The choice is better going to bed hungry or going to work. That doesn't sound like much of a choice to me. It sounds like a spoiled elitist trying to defend her life on easy street.

37 replies, 3275 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply Do Working Mothers find Ann Romney obnoxious? (Original post)
Taitertots Apr 2012 OP
uponit7771 Apr 2012 #1
roguevalley Apr 2012 #35
Jennicut Apr 2012 #2
CTyankee Apr 2012 #3
sadbear Apr 2012 #16
CTyankee Apr 2012 #22
sadbear Apr 2012 #24
CTyankee Apr 2012 #26
roguevalley Apr 2012 #36
dkf Apr 2012 #4
dynasaw Apr 2012 #6
Taitertots Apr 2012 #7
dkf Apr 2012 #10
lukkadairish Apr 2012 #8
dkf Apr 2012 #11
dynasaw Apr 2012 #5
Namvet67 Apr 2012 #13
Maeve Apr 2012 #9
dkf Apr 2012 #12
Maeve Apr 2012 #33
dkf Apr 2012 #34
Bake Apr 2012 #14
IggleDoer Apr 2012 #29
Marrah_G Apr 2012 #15
ehrnst Apr 2012 #17
Aerows Apr 2012 #18
Sheepshank Apr 2012 #19
Left coast liberal Apr 2012 #20
jillan Apr 2012 #21
annabanana Apr 2012 #23
Johonny Apr 2012 #25
cin63 Apr 2012 #27
Romulox Apr 2012 #28
SunSeeker Apr 2012 #30
LittleGirl Apr 2012 #32
sinkingfeeling Apr 2012 #31
eridani Apr 2012 #37

Response to Taitertots (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:03 AM

1. The fact that RMoney campaign is able to mix her in with middle class moms is part of the reason why

...the 1% have flourished; they can make the case that they're "just like us" and they're not.

I spent a good portion of my career moving their money digitally, they're NOTHING like the middle class and most live in their own worlds because they don't have to interact with anyone else for anything.

They have "staff" and then hire people to manage the staff!!

For them it's not that much money

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:13 AM

35. my sweet mama worked hard until she was 71 She had less than five years to retire

and enjoy herself before she passed away. Ann Romney can kiss my ass.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:05 AM

2. I was a stay at home Mom for a few years and I find her obnoxious too.

Most stay at home Moms are giving up the extra income to stay home with their kids. She gave up nothing and therefore really has no experience to offer most working Moms and most average stay at home Moms.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:06 AM

3. I don't think they find her obnoxious. Oblivious is more like it.

I think we should drop this thing NOW. The Rosen remark couldn't have been better timed if it were secretly planned (which I don't believe it was).

It is an incredibly stupid thing to inject in the campaign at a time when we have ample ammunition against the pukes on their War on Women (which has actually been going on for a long time). We don't need this, we really don't...

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:21 AM

16. This is not about stay-at-home moms

It's about how the Romney's are part of the 1% and totally out-of-touch they are with anyone who's not 1%.

Reply to this post

Response to sadbear (Reply #16)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:46 AM

22. We liberals always lose in this kind of back and forth. This I know full well from my MANY

years watching us lose as liberals. We think we have the winning formula with the 99% v. the 1%, but we always have the football whisked from us just like Charlie Brown. Peggy Noonan is only doing what she and the other pukes ALWAYS do, put on their hypocritical "concern" for the "average" person (in this case the saintly stay at home mom who they shamelessly use for their own propaganda and then stiff when it comes to public policy that would actually help these women) and make us look elite and out of touch.

I hope I'm wrong and you are right. I wish I were wrong. Maybe now things are different. I truly hope so.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #22)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:50 AM

24. You're right.

It's about framing the argument.

Reply to this post

Response to sadbear (Reply #24)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:59 AM

26. The mystery is: how DO we frame the argument?

Every time I think we have a good frame it gets ripped to shreds and we look terrible.

That's why I think we should leave this whole Rosen remark alone. Obama is on his game with this one. He did the same thing with the Bristol Palin pregnancy. He pointed out that his own mother had him when she was 18 and then put the whole issue as "off limits" and said he'd fire any of his campaign staff who tried to use it. That effectively shut it down. It looks like he's done the same thing here. He was actually pretty good. He talked about his and Michelle's experience post partum with their two baby girls. It was exactly the right thing to say. And Michelle's tweet was about respecting women and their work. It's gonna be hard for the RW to find fault with them.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:14 AM

36. maybe we don't but its true what she said. That stupid woman had nannies and money

too damned many of us don't have dick. Hillary Rosen doesn't deserve acrimony. Ann Romney needs to shut up.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:09 AM

4. She had breast cancer and has MS.

I don't see how anyone can begrudge her staying home.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:12 AM

6. She has the luxury to do so

while I know of women who have cancer who continue working and taking care of their families because they have to do so. I've given up trying to feel any sympathy for the selfish filthy rich.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:17 AM

7. She wasn't diagnosed with MS until the late 1990's and cancer after 2000

Her children had already grown into adults.

Reply to this post

Response to Taitertots (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:42 AM

10. Yeah that will work for us when we attack her. Not.

They were waiting for someone to do this.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:26 AM

8. True, but

if pundits were to bring that up in a forum of any kind, I would counter that the mother of the POTUS suffered from terminal cancer without health coverage, while working, and while trying to instill her son with a sense of doing whatever it takes to make it. Ann Romney was lucky enough to have money, social advantage, and probably damned good insurance to insure her success in battling her illnesses.

Reply to this post

Response to lukkadairish (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:46 AM

11. Hey I think Ann Dunham was absolutely amazing, but she did have coverage

when she got ill.

Obama is smart...he knows he doesn't want to attack Ann Romney and put her in a sympathetic light.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:10 AM

5. She lives in a double bubble

the bubble of mormon culture and the bubble of the 1%. The likes of her don't know a thing about what goes on in the lives of people outside their perimeters, don't want to know and are probably proud of the fact.

Reply to this post

Response to dynasaw (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:00 AM

13. She is not rational and not experienced....she shouldn't be a model of anything

I don't recall seeing any mormons in vietnam now that i think of it......what the hell DO they do to be able to relate to common(normal) folk?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:39 AM

9. I have been an at-home mom, raised 4 kids

And I find putting her forward as a role-model deeply offensive. She didn't have to worry about paying the rent/mortgage/bills, no insurance fears (we've spent years without coverage), no need to make coupon-clipping/organized shopping a major part of her life...

I chose to remain out of the job market to raise the kids. As a result, I have no Social Security (other than my husband's) to look forward to, few job skills to find something now (my college and career certs are now woefully out of date), a 10 year old van and a house that only feels big enough now that the kids are mostly out of it. Knowing what I do now, I'd make the same choice, but I also realize how much it cost. I don't think the Romneys have a clue.

Reply to this post

Response to Maeve (Reply #9)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:49 AM

12. Well maybe she can expose that herself instead of us turning her into a sympathetic figure.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #12)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 01:10 PM

33. Not the only choices

It is totally fair to point out that she, as Mitt's adviser in such matters, has never earned a paycheck, has never had to sit in the county health department to get free shots because she couldn't afford a doctor's visit to get the kids immunized, has never been forced to keep a job she hates just for the benefits, never had to reschedule a teacher's meeting because she couldn't get time off, has never had to worry if they could possibly afford the fees to let the boys play high school sports, let alone afford to pay for state college tuition...and her "kids" left the nest more than a decade ago(the youngest is over 30).
If she wants to play the victim card, that's her call. It loses her the "I am strong" label, tho.

Reply to this post

Response to Maeve (Reply #33)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 03:20 PM

34. Women politicians tend to do that.

It's something that kills me, but hey I'm sure I do it too.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:18 AM

14. Ann? The one that drives two Cadillacs? That Ann?

I HOPE they find her as out of touch as Mr. R-money.

Bake

Reply to this post

Response to Bake (Reply #14)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:13 AM

29. It's not easy having Ann's life

Which Cadillac should I drive to dressage practice. Which nanny did I leave the kids with? Will the laundress get the horses**t stains out of my new chaps?

Even though she didn't have much to worry about regarding if she would keep a roof over her kid's heads or health insurance to cover her illness, she certainly had a lot to worry about.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:19 AM

15. I find her to be spoiled super wealthy woman

Who makes me want to smack her every time she speaks.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:22 AM

17. I do. If she had said that she's among the lucky people who have a choice

Then I could have identified.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:25 AM

18. I'm not a working mother

but I find her annoying as hell.

There is nothing worse than an obscenely wealthy person like Ann Romney saying "Oh well we struggled, too - our life wasn't easy."

Uh huh. Tell me another one.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:32 AM

19. I'd like to know her employable skill set and experience would have been

....just so I know exactly what her choices may have been.

What did she give up to be a stay at home mom?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:37 AM

20. Definately! Smug and clueless...

...her whole dog and pony show on Fox about "well, she should have been in the house with those 5 boys running around..." smirk, smirk.

All I could think about was how many nannies and staff they had to deal with "those 5 boys". I don't see her dealing with the laundry or anything else.

Clueless 1%. Don't even realize how clueless they are.

Bleh...

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:45 AM

21. I don't find her obnoxious, but I do find her absolutely clueless.

She doesn't even think she is rich.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:49 AM

23. "At home" Mom's find her obnoxious too.

At least THIS one does. I recognize that an "at-home" Mom is a luxury item. It is bought at great price as far as lifestyle goes, for most of us. There were no nannies, housekeepers, gardeners, personal shoppers, pool boys... none of that.

I DID have the time to wrestle with our HMO, clip coupons, run errands and other things that "working" Mom's have a real struggle scheduling.

The REAL story, which doesn't seems to be at the top of CorpoMedia's hit parade.. is that women who are in the workforce AND raising families know things that Romney's wife doesn't know. And The Hubby seems to get ALL his information about women from her.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:56 AM

25. I find the whole outrage a manufactured purposeful over analysis and misinterpretation

who's purpose is to begin the changing of the countries discussion of what are the Republican parties weaknesses to making them Democratic party weaknesses. If Republican party is anti-women then the media must discus how bad Democrats are on women issues. From now to the end of the election all of Romney's real weaknesses will be projected onto Obama and blown as far out of proportion as the media can drag it. Meanwhile parents will get no more respect now than they did when the discussion started because the point wasn't to highlight parenting issues in this country.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:59 AM

27. My disabled daughter,

A single mother has earned more money than Ann Romney.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:00 AM

28. Is this about women's choices, or is it about CLASS (read: $$$)?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:22 AM

30. Yes. Ann implies working moms haven't "chosen motherhood."

Nothing Rosen said attacked Ann Romney for choosing to stay at home. Rosen attacked Ann for her claim to know average woman's struggles. Since the average women works AND chooses motherhood (indeed they work to feed their kids), it is preposterous that a women who has never struggled financially, let alone held down a paying job, could claim to know the average woman's struggles.

And then, for Ann to get on TV try to spin it by saying it was an "attack" on her decision to "choose motherhood" shows she's just as slimy as her husband. She is implying that women who work are not "choosing motherhood." In essence, she is attacking working women.

Just because she's had health problems does not get her a free pass. We've all had health problems. Some of us had to go through chemo and radiation at crap facilities while fighting with our HMO and worrying about losing our job and bankrupting our family. Some of us didn't even have a crap HMO or job when we were diagnosed. Just about all of us did this without nannies, cooks, maids and a stable of horses to lift our spirits. Ann does not know what it means to REALLY struggle.

Ann is not a nice person. A nice person would have told Mitt to fuck off and taken poor old Shamus down off the roof of the car!

Reply to this post

Response to SunSeeker (Reply #30)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:17 PM

32. Ditto!

You said it better than I could ever. Brilliant.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:40 AM

31. I find her 'snotty'. Her tone yesterday reeked with contempt of other mothers.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 14, 2012, 03:16 AM

37. Don't think that Romney has ever done more than order servants around

That is neither a job, nor being a mother.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread