HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bush claims credibility o...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:42 PM

Bush claims credibility on taxes, economic policy

Bush claims credibility on taxes, economic policy

By Steve Benen

Given the spectacular nature of his economic failures, former President George W. Bush should probably avoid lectures on what policymakers should do when cleaning up his mess. But the man with the limitless chutzpah still likes to think he has some credibility on the subject.

Forbes magazine posted this clip of Bush speaking in New York City this morning at the George W. Bush Presidential Center's conference on "Tax Policies For 4% Growth."

<...>

And how, pray tell, does Bush believe tax policy can lead to 4% GDP growth in the private sector? How else? By giving wealthy people more tax cuts. Indeed, the former president argued, "(I)f you raise taxes on the so-called rich, you're really raising taxes on the job creators."

It's tempting to go through Bush's remarks, detailing all of his errors of fact and judgment. I'm inclined to explain to the former president that millionaires and billionaires aren't "the so-called rich"; they're the actual rich. It's also tempting to note than when Bush says, "If you raise taxes, you're taking money out of the pockets of consumers," the same underlying policy argument applies to food stamps and unemployment benefits. And while we're at it, it might also be fun to explain that tax increases wouldn't be quite so necessary had Bush not blown a record-high budget surplus, added $5 trillion to the debt, and left President Obama with a $1.3 trillion deficit.

But you know what? Let's put that aside for a moment and consider a larger point: Bush has been so severely discredited, listening to him give economic advice is like getting tips from Mitt Romney on policy consistency.

- more -

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/10/11121957-bush-claims-credibility-on-taxes-economic-policy

Flashback:

Bush On Jobs: The Worst Track Record On Record

By WSJ Staff

President George W. Bush entered office in 2001 just as a recession was starting, and is preparing to leave in the middle of a long one. That’s almost 22 months of recession during his 96 months in office.

His job-creation record won’t look much better. The Bush administration created about three million jobs (net) over its eight years, a fraction of the 23 million jobs created under President Bill Clinton‘s administration and only slightly better than President George H.W. Bush did in his four years in office.

Here’s a look at job creation under each president since the Labor Department started keeping payroll records in 1939. The counts are based on total payrolls between the start of the month the president took office (using the final payroll count for the end of the prior December) and his final December in office.

Because the size of the economy and labor force varies, we also calculate in percentage terms how much the total payroll count expanded under each president. The current President Bush, once taking account how long he’s been in office, shows the worst track record for job creation since the government began keeping records. –

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/01/09/bush-on-jobs-the-worst-track-record-on-record/

9 replies, 1231 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bush claims credibility on taxes, economic policy (Original post)
ProSense Apr 2012 OP
hifiguy Apr 2012 #1
cindyperry2010 Apr 2012 #3
hifiguy Apr 2012 #4
wilt the stilt Apr 2012 #2
1ProudAtheist Apr 2012 #5
cindyperry2010 Apr 2012 #6
kentuck Apr 2012 #7
LineLineNew Reply .
ProSense Apr 2012 #8
3waygeek Apr 2012 #9

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:56 PM

1. Chimpoleon must have sobered up under

the delusion that anyone gives a sour owlshit about what he has to say about anything.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hifiguy (Reply #1)

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:57 PM

3. sour owlshit?

i have never heard of it but like it

Reply to this post

Response to cindyperry2010 (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:01 PM

4. I heard that one years ago.

Ya know, little owl pellets, except sour.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:56 PM

2. I cannot remember a more clueless human being

in my lifetime. I have always said if his name wasn't Bush and it was Smith he would be the electronic's manager at the local Walmart. He would have never made in the high tech world and he was too much of a moron for Enterprise software sales. he was too lazy and just not believable or trustworthy.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:07 PM

5. Questions For The Village Idiot

If what you say is to be considered as the truth, then where are all of the jobs that should have been created during the 8 years of your draconian regime?

Why did your tax cuts lead us into the deepest recession that this country has ever known?

Are you really stupid enough to think that anyone with an ounce of common sense really wants to take economic advice from you?

Reply to this post

Response to 1ProudAtheist (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 03:28 PM

6. well put

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 04:33 PM

7. Now that is effing funny !!

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 08:20 PM

8. .

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 10, 2012, 09:12 PM

9. I think there's a typo in your headline...

certainly you meant to say that Bush's economic policy strains credibility.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread