Sat Apr 7, 2012, 08:05 AM
Prophet 451 (9,796 posts)
These Things I Believe
- I BELIEVE that everyone has a right to decent healthcare, regardless of their income or social class.
- I BELIEVE that everyone deserves the right to a decent education, up to and including college. I BELIEVE in equality of opportunity, including the opportunity to return to education later in life.
- I BELIEVE that money brings power and with great power comes great responsibility. I BELIEVE that if you achieve great wealth, you have a responsibility to pay out some of it so someone else gets the chance to do the same. I BELIEVE that taxes are the price we pay for civilization.
- I BELIEVE that being gay is just one more variation in the human condition and as morally neutral as having green eyes or blonde hair. I BELIEVE that love is the joining of two souls and none of us have the right to get in the way of that.
- I BELIEVE that putting human rights to a vote sets a bloody dangerous precedent.
- I BELIEVE that no-one, not begger or king, president or pauper, is above being called to account for their wrongdoings. Fiat justitia, ruat caelum.
- I BELIEVE in a deity but my beliefs do not require you to believe them. I BELIEVE that life would be significantly easier if we just kept our beliefs between ourselves and our chosen deities. I also hope that your chosen faith (or lack thereof) brings you happiness and/or peace.
- I BELIEVE that something is wrong when the democratic republic jails more people than the communist dictatorship.
- I BELIEVE that once you have paid your debt to society, society should give you the chance to turn your life around.
- I BELIEVE that if you cannot work or cannot find work, society has a duty to provide for you. I BELIEVE that a humane society does not let it's citizens starve because of their misfortune.
- I BELIEVE that a just society would execute it's citizens only rarely for the most heinous of crimes and with absolute proof of guilt.
- I BELIEVE that justices should, well, administer justice.
- I BELIEVE that the law should be a protector of the weak, not a tool of the powerful.
- I BELIEVE that it is possible to be both a democracy and a republic.
- I DON'T BELIEVE in evolution. It would be like believing in the milkman. I just accept it.
- I BELIEVE that conservatism, as it currently stands, is detrimental to the USA.
- I BELIEVE that our planet is warming and human activity is the main cause. I BELIEVE we can overcome this obstacle.
- I BELIEVE in the capacity of human imagination and ingenuity to overcome any obstacle.
- I BELIEVE that the liklihood of failure is no excuse for giving up the fight.
- I BELIEVE that the search for truth is it's own justification.
- I BELIEVE in the power of one human spirit to change the world.
13 replies, 2055 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
These Things I Believe (Original post)
|Prophet 451||Apr 2012||OP|
|Prophet 451||Apr 2012||#4|
|Prophet 451||Apr 2012||#5|
|Prophet 451||Apr 2012||#8|
|Prophet 451||Apr 2012||#11|
|Prophet 451||Apr 2012||#12|