HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » As a caretaker for a real...

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:34 PM

As a caretaker for a real victim of Shaken Baby Syndrome I am more furious at Zimmerman than ever.

Two years ago I witnessed a tragedy that changed my life forever, many people have heard the words "Shaken Baby Syndrome" spoken, but nothing can prepare a person for seeing what happens to an infant after they have been shaken with their own eyes.

I am very close to a young boy who was shaken by his "father" when he was only six weeks old. I still have flashbacks of seeing this tiny little baby laying in his hospital bed kept alive by only a machine, his head swollen beyond recognition. I can't go into all the details of what I witnessed, both out of respect for privacy for the victims of this horrible tragedy and my own personal well being. While I have not been officially diagnosed I believe I likely have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of what I witnessed and simply hearing about any sort of child abuse at all even if it is just a spanking can trigger flashbacks. I think nearly everyone gets disturbed when they hear about child abuse on the evening news, but for those of us who have actually witnessed the effects of Shaken Baby Syndrome it goes beyond feeling disturbed, a story on the evening news can make us feel our previous tragedy all over again.

I absolutely hate hearing the words "Shaken Baby Syndrome", but I want people to be aware of what it is so I am glad the media covers it sometimes even though when I see stories about it I feel a great deal of pain. Today when I heard the words "Shaken Baby Syndrome" in the news however in a context in which it should have never been I was not only hurt, I was infuriated.

George Zimmerman's lawyers claimed today that Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin because he was worried that Trayvon would give him Shaken Baby Syndrome. There are real victims of Shaken Baby Syndrome, but George Zimmerman is not one of them. The real victims of Shaken Baby Syndrome are not 28 year old men, they are infants who don't carry guns and were completely defenseless at the time they were attacked. I won't go into too much graphic detail on what a real victim of Shaken Baby Syndrome looks like, but I will say you sure as hell don't need an "enhanced" video to see the injury.

It sickens me that a 28 year old man like Zimmerman would use fear of Shaken Baby Syndrome as an excuse for shooting an unarmed child. Simply hearing the words "Shaken Baby Syndrome" can trigger PTSD in those who have witnessed actual cases of it, and Zimmerman's lawyers are exploiting a horrible ailment brought about by violence against infants in order to justify violence against a child. To make things even more sickening on the same day that Zimmerman put forth his "Shaken Baby Syndrome" defense his lawyers announced they are opening a web site where people can donate to pay Zimmerman's "living expenses", in other words Zimmerman is using this not to raise money for actual victims of Shaken Baby Syndrome but rather for his own personal profit. As a person who is close to a real victim, seeing something like this exploited not only to justify violence but also for personal profit sickens me.

If you want to know how close I was to the child who was attacked, both him and his mother moved in with me for a year after the incident and I was one of his primary care takers for the first year he was out of the hospital. While this child does not live with me any more I still take care of him regularly and in fact had him with me nearly the entire day today. I don't want to go in to much detail about his current condition, but I will say he is doing much better than the doctor's initially expected he would do but he still faces enormous challenges and he will have to face many of those challenges for the rest of his life. While I believe he can still live a good life, I highly doubt he will ever be able to live independently and he will require a caretaker most likely for the rest of his life. I don't want to go in to any more detail than that but if people are curious I will provide the link to the newspaper article from when his "father" was sentenced.

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/119100499.html

Please respect that I don't want to say any more than I already have so I will not respond to any posts in this thread, but I will read them.

Shaken Baby Syndrome is truly tragic for all those who have to witness it, those who try to exploit such a horrible thing to justify violence against innocents are truly reprehensible.

31 replies, 6329 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply As a caretaker for a real victim of Shaken Baby Syndrome I am more furious at Zimmerman than ever. (Original post)
Bjorn Against Apr 2012 OP
NYC_SKP Apr 2012 #1
Autumn Apr 2012 #3
Ken Burch Apr 2012 #16
pipoman Apr 2012 #6
NYC_SKP Apr 2012 #8
pipoman Apr 2012 #10
lukkadairish Apr 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 #4
lonestarnot Apr 2012 #5
Ecumenist Apr 2012 #9
Ecumenist Apr 2012 #7
pansypoo53219 Apr 2012 #22
jwirr Apr 2012 #11
JDPriestly Apr 2012 #12
pipoman Apr 2012 #19
anti-alec Apr 2012 #13
pacalo Apr 2012 #14
XanaDUer Apr 2012 #15
Ken Burch Apr 2012 #18
LiberalFighter Apr 2012 #30
Ken Burch Apr 2012 #17
pipoman Apr 2012 #21
Kaleva Apr 2012 #26
pipoman Apr 2012 #29
Boabab Apr 2012 #20
Ecumenist Apr 2012 #23
ecstatic Apr 2012 #24
knitter4democracy Apr 2012 #25
Kaleva Apr 2012 #27
LiberalFighter Apr 2012 #28
slackmaster Apr 2012 #31

Response to Bjorn Against (Original post)

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:45 PM

3. Best post I have seen regarding George Zimmerman.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Autumn (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:22 AM

16. I have to say...that post was a little undair...

...to shit.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:56 PM

6. Wow, and how is this better than GZ himself?

edit..J,J, & E

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:04 PM

8. Well, for one thing, I didn't back him into a corner and shoot his worthless ass and take his life.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:10 PM

10. What about his lawyer?

Do you hate the concept of adequate legal representation? The lawyer is doing his job...a vital function in criminal justice which separates justice from witch hunts...

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:40 PM

2. This thread

Has been read with a heavy heart for the children.....and with clarity for those who wish to game justice. I humbly acknowledge and support this post.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:49 PM

4. Hugs.

I feel the same anger due to patients of mine.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:52 PM

5. Thank you for helping that little boy.

Reply to this post

Response to lonestarnot (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:04 PM

9. Ditto.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:03 PM

7. When I read that zimmy's lawyers had the collosal nerve to try to claim that he was in fear of

SHAKEN BABY SYNDROME, I had to read the post several times because I couldn't believe my eyes. The fact that they would insult the intelligence of everyone with an IQ higher than that of the ambient room temperature in an unheated hut in Nome, Alaska during a cold snap in Winter shows what kind of contempt that they have for life. The term SHAKEN BABY SYNDROME is self explanatory and will never EVER apply to a sociopathic 28YEAR OLD MAN!

Not only does he have balls the size of grapeseeds and stalks, runs down and murders an unarmed 17 year old but then has the nerve to try to claim something that would have been obvious to everyone who saw him IMMEDIATELY! You would have been able to see his swollen head by simple distortion, it would have been so large; chances are, his eyes would have been swollen shut and blackened, probably being wracked by nonstop seizures and vomiting..God these people have no shame.

The saddest part of this is that despite the obvious guilt of this "person", there are people throughout thois country and this site who will wrap themselves into knots in order to try to view this man as a "victim" and see nothing wrong with this obvious insultingly weak attempt to win some sort of sympathy.

Reply to this post

Response to Ecumenist (Reply #7)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 03:44 AM

22. just points out that zimmerman IS BIG FAT FUCKING BABY MAN.

a big baby who needs his daddy to save him again + again.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:25 PM

11. Thank you for this post. My daughter worked with a Shaken Baby Syndrome case a couple of

weeks ago and you are absolutely correct - to even suggest that the Zimmerman case approaches this level is a total disregard for the true victims of it.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:55 PM

12. There is something very inconsistent in Zimmerman's arguments.

He claims that he was afraid of Shaken Baby Syndrome

although he knew that he had a gun.

He stated in his call to 911 that he suspected Trayvon of being a criminal -- a thief or robber.

Yet, in spite of what he now claims he feared, he followed Trayvon, the suspected criminal, to get an address to give the police.

Now, was he afraid or was he looking for trouble? Was he really afraid or did he only become afraid when he realized he might have to answer for killing Trayvon? Was he trying to help the police or pick a fight or a bit of both.

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #12)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:50 AM

19. I've been curious,

and maybe it's been covered in one of the volumes of threads, what legal standing does the appointment as, what was it?, "neighborhood watch coordinator"?, give Zim and/or what are the policies of people with this designation? Surely there are printed policies and procedures if there is an actual title such as this?

edit,, I'm thinking such a written policy could be exculpatory or incriminating..

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:17 AM

13. I remember this story....

from my lurking days... the baby is called Ian or something?

or some Irish name?

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:18 AM

14. That was extremely heartbreaking to read, BjornA.

One uplifting aspect of this little baby's difficult life is that someone as sensitive & loving as you is helping to take care of him.

As for Zimmerman, I thought he had hired a "good" lawyer recently who would lead his defense in a more credible direction, but, clearly, that's not so. People like you who have had a personal, up-close understanding of Shaken Baby Syndrome are sure to come forward to shine a light on just how low Zimmerman can go in trying to portray himself as a helpless victim.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:26 AM

15. Up next- the Twinkie Defense

Shameless.

Reply to this post

Response to XanaDUer (Reply #15)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:24 AM

18. Yeah..The Zimm looks like he loves him some Twinkies.

(maybe that's what set him off...chasing Trayvon made him miss his fourth snack cake break of the night.

Reply to this post

Response to XanaDUer (Reply #15)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 10:04 AM

30. Too bad the police didn't do a body cavity search or drug test

They probably would had found either twinkies in his cavity or the drugs from them.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:23 AM

17. Zimmerman actually SAID that?

I feel like giving him Curb-Kicked Asshole Syndrome.

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #17)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 02:03 AM

21. No, I've read that his lawyer said it.

I once worked a case with the fairly average defense lawyer in a very public criminal case. Not quite this big, but all the court watch national press followed the case. This lawyer suddenly found his average self in front of CNN, FOX, CBS, etc. cameras..you can guess the results when critiqued by Harvard Law national news correspondents.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #21)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 09:14 AM

26. It probably wasn't pretty.

Did that average defense lawyer recover from the experience?

Reply to this post

Response to Kaleva (Reply #26)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 10:03 AM

29. Yeah

he went through a period of illusions of grandeur, thinking he would get a gig on some national media..and who knows, maybe he would have if our client would have beat the charges...as it were, our client will be in prison until he is dead...and then probably a couple of days just for good measure..The lawyer now practices as a public defender, in fairness, he is a very committed civil libertarian, a quality I share with him, and a necessary quality for any good criminal defense lawyer.

My point really was that often lawyers like Zim's says stupid shit which then gets attributed to the defendant.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:57 AM

20. Would someone please charge that a-hole already?

What's the delay for?

Reply to this post

Response to Boabab (Reply #20)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 06:30 AM

23. +Infinty and welcome to DU, Boabab!! Right glad Tameetcha!!

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 08:30 AM

24. I'm guessing that Casey Anthony's lawyer has taken

control? I mean, his defense was absurd before, but now it's more like a circus. I just pray the jury sees through it.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 09:09 AM

25. Clear case of propaganda.

His lawyers have been doing that from day one. In this case, it's transfer and glittering generalities. Take a slogan that makes people think of defenseless children and transfer it to the big white guy with a gun and hope people will think he was helpless.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 09:22 AM

27. Hard to believe that George had time to even think about something like that.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 10:01 AM

28. When he goes to trial the prosecutors need to lamblast the criminal defenders

for a defense that does not apply and their insensitivity towards those that actually suffer from the syndrome.

Hopefully, the prosecutors do their job and totally wipe out the criminal attorneys as well as GZ.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 10:06 AM

31. Lawyers are capable of spewing and willing to spew all kinds of obnoxious bullshit, even in court

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread