HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Chris Dodd: Obama workin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:18 PM

Chris Dodd: Obama working with Silicon Valley and Hollywood on new SOPA/PIPA

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57410236-281/mpaa-chief-sopa-and-protect-ip-back-from-the-grave/

The Motion Picture Association of America hasn't exactly given up on the Stop Online Piracy Act or similar legislation, despite January's widespread protests.

by Declan McCullagh April 5, 2012 5:11 PM PDT

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter that was published online today, MPAA chief Christopher Dodd said he was "confident" that President Obama was using his "good relationships in both communities" -- that is, Silicon Valley and Hollywood -- to advance SOPA.

When asked whether there are negotiations going on now, Dodd replied: "I'm confident that's the case, but I'm not going to go into more detail because obviously if I do, it becomes counterproductive."

Then, last week, the White House reignited the congressional debate by throwing its weight behind SOPA-like legislation targeting offshore Web sites. "We believe that new legislative and non-legislative tools are needed to address offshore infringement," the Obama administration said, while adding that it wouldn't endorse a bill that endangers freedom of expression or increases cybersecurity risks.

Both proposed laws are designed to target so-called rogue Web sites by allowing the Justice Department to obtain an order to be served on search engines and Internet service providers that would force them to make the suspected piractical site effectively vanish. But such broad censorship orders could jeopardize innocent Web sites and raise First Amendment concerns, a point that constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe emphasized, as well as negatively impacting U.S. cybersecurity.

After the White House expressed concerns about SOPA in January, Hollywood struck back. "Candidly, those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake," Dodd, a former Democratic senator, said on Fox News a few days later.

8 replies, 1353 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chris Dodd: Obama working with Silicon Valley and Hollywood on new SOPA/PIPA (Original post)
woo me with science Apr 2012 OP
emsimon33 Apr 2012 #1
ProSense Apr 2012 #2
woo me with science Apr 2012 #3
ProSense Apr 2012 #5
woo me with science Apr 2012 #6
girl gone mad Apr 2012 #8
Autumn Apr 2012 #4
woo me with science Apr 2012 #7

Response to woo me with science (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:20 PM

1. I so hate it when Democrats get involved in such mischief

Why is it always Connecticut senators!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:26 PM

2. Evidently, that

was a rumor.

<...>

The MPAA on Friday walked back Dodd’s remarks and vehemently denied that SOPA was being revived. In an email to TPM, an MPAA spokesperson wrote:

“Sen Dodd did not say SOPA is coming back to life. He said the tech and entertainment industries need to come together to work on a new solution and those conversations are beginning. SOPA is gone. The path forward now is a serious conversation between all involved industries about new solutions, and that was Sen Dodd’s point.”Those comments spurred left-leaning advocacy group Demand Progress, a major organizer of the online protests against SOPA and PIPA, to launch its own petition to “Tell Obama And Dodd: No Backroom Dealing, No New SOPA.”

SOPA and PIPA sought to crack down on Web piracy by forcing U.S. websites and companies to sever all electronic and financial ties to offshore Web domains accused of piracy by copyright holders, such as the film companies represented by the Motion Picture Association of America. Critics pointed out that the bills’ language was overly broad and could force the shutdown of sections of popular U.S. websites including YouTube, Reddit and Wikipedia, where users share links and content, some of which is pirated.

Late update: Rep. Lamar Smith, the original sponsor of SOPA, is not working on resurrecting his legislation, a staffer from the House of Representatives told TPM on Friday afternoon.

“Nothing new is happening with SOPA - zero movement and no discussions at this time,” the staffer said in a statement, referring back to a January release explaining that the House would “postpone consideration of the legislation until there is wider agreement on a solution.”

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/sopa-opponents-prepare-to-fight-new-anti-piracy-legislation.php

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:22 PM

3. No, it's not a rumor. What you posted does not even say that.

What you posted says only that SOPA is not being revived now, which is obviously true and irrelevant to whether a revival is planned for the future...and that Smith is not resurrecting the legislation, which Dodd never claimed in the first place. He said Obama is involved in backroom discussions about it. It is also the second attempt at denial I have seen, and it is different from the first. The first indicated only that legislation is not planned for this year.

Dodd clearly said it. The Hill has also published the full quote:

Dodd says SOPA can live again
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/220181-dodd-says-sopa-can-live-again

The tech journals are already all over this, and, frankly, their interpretation of what is going on is a heck of a lot more believable than denials of what is already on the record, by parties who stand to lose from this information's being disclosed. I suspect that Dodd is in some hot water for his candid words, and there is some scrambling going on.

MPAA Pretends Dodd Didn't Say That New SOPA Negotiations Were Underway
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120406/12462918411/mpaa-pretends-dodd-didnt-say-that-new-sopa-negotiations-were-underway.shtml

Given that Obama signed ACTA and then tried to hide it from the American press by claiming it was a national security issue, we have very good reason to take reports like this extremely seriously: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2058658

If we have learned anything from this administration, it is that we must watch them like hawks for quiet dealing on behalf of the one percent.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:41 PM

5. OK

No, it's not a rumor. What you posted does not even say that.

What you posted says only that SOPA is not being revived now, which is obviously true and irrelevant to whether a revival is planned for the future...

It's not a rumor. It just says it's not being revived, which is true and irrelevant because it could be someday!

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:17 PM

6. No, Chris Dodd's statement that Obama is now in negotiations working to revive it is not a rumor.

In other words, Chris Dodd said Obama is doing the backroom thing right now.

Spin, spin, spin. Distort, distort, distort.

I'll repeat this part, because it's important:

Given that Obama signed ACTA and then tried to hide it from the American press by claiming it was a national security issue, we have very good reason to take reports like this extremely seriously: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2058658

If we have learned anything from this administration, it is that we must watch them like hawks for quiet dealing on behalf of the one percent.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:02 AM

8. Throw in a few more rolling smilies.

That'll convince us.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:26 PM

4. We really need a wooden stake for this damn SOPA.

With everything going on in our county this should not even be anywhere on the radar

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 11:19 PM

7. It keeps coming like the terminator.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread