HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How close are you to that...

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:02 PM

How close are you to that degrading, humiliating strip search? Well, if you have a trailer hitch...

...your chances may have just gone up.

(I have no illusions regarding my privacy in this country anymore, but I whited out part of my plate anyway.)

I was recently pulled over in an affluent suburb for no other reason than this: The cop said my license plate was partially blocked by the trailer hitch and his automatic license plate reader couldn't read it.

I wasn't doing anything wrong, I wasn't even driving while black (I'm a white male, reasonably groomed and dressed.) Perhaps we should coin a new phrase: Driving while poor. I'm pretty sure this cop doesn't pull over every vehicle with a trailer hitch partially blocking the plate (which I've unofficially estimated at maybe a third of them.) Just the ones that don't look like they belong in his neighborhood.

And now, thanks to the Supreme Court's recent decision and the ability of police to now run someone's plates automatically (and apparently to pull them over if the automatic scanner is not able to do so) -- a traffic stop such as this one could lead to a strip search if anything else didn't quite check out.

Papers, please.

17 replies, 3049 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply How close are you to that degrading, humiliating strip search? Well, if you have a trailer hitch... (Original post)
Flying Squirrel Apr 2012 OP
Arctic Dave Apr 2012 #1
tabasco Apr 2012 #9
Cleita Apr 2012 #2
WingDinger Apr 2012 #3
pennylane100 Apr 2012 #4
CrispyQ Apr 2012 #17
malthaussen Apr 2012 #5
Auntie Bush Apr 2012 #8
femmocrat Apr 2012 #6
jp11 Apr 2012 #7
Flying Squirrel Apr 2012 #10
WingDinger Apr 2012 #12
WingDinger Apr 2012 #11
demosincebirth Apr 2012 #13
WingDinger Apr 2012 #14
woo me with science Apr 2012 #15
Mopar151 Apr 2012 #16

Response to Flying Squirrel (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:08 PM

1. Hello fascism.

Another cop going out of his way to be a douchebag.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Arctic Dave (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:28 PM

9. Well said.

Surely not another bad apple.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:14 PM

2. Driving while poor. I like that.

It's so true. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:18 PM

3. Cops are getting harsh on obscured anything. What, with photo tickets, etc.

I got pulled over twice, within two miles, with my Li plate mounted in further, on a motorcycle. The cop accused me of doing that on purpose, to run from the cops. My bike is HOT. He said I read an article, about how to run from police, and they told me to mount my plate that way.

I said you are nuts. But, I said if I wanted to run, I could.

Now, the cop would evaluate your attitude, and determine whether you needed sexual humiliation, or not.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:19 PM

4. Imagine how angry the law must make black people.

Not only are they the victims of racial profiling, but the supreme court has now given the police to harass them even more.
I think that we, the members of Democratic Underground, should start a movement to impose term limits on supreme court justices.

Reply to this post

Response to pennylane100 (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:33 PM

17. Term limits for SCOTUS - good idea!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:20 PM

5. One of my favorite moments of anti-authoritarian joy came

... when I was working for the Census in 1990. I was sitting in my car doing paperwork in an affluent suburb (no offices for the foot soldiers of the Senseless Bureau), and a local citizen phoned me in for "suspicious activity." It felt so good to wave my Federal credentials in the cop's face and tell him to bug off.

"Driving while poor." Almost as bad an offense as "Breathing while poor."

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:28 PM

8. My husband worked on the 1990 cencus too...was a pretty good temporary job at the time.

At least it was work!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:24 PM

6. At least you didn't have those truck nuts!

That would have been humiliating AND embarrassing!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:26 PM

7. What did he say when he told you that and I presume you said something like 'okay'?

Cause I don't know what the point of the stop was other than to harass you seeing as I have the assumption that the cop would be capable of using his police prowess to divine the 'missing' character from a different angle which tends to happen when automated motor vehicles are in motion.

Do you need to remove your bumper? Because from the back side of the truck if you move forward it would obstruct the view of your plate. That tailgate might have to come off too cause if I'm looking down and rising over your truck from the rear I might not be able to read that plate.

Reply to this post

Response to jp11 (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:31 PM

10. He said

I needed to remove the trailer hitch, or get a different kind that didn't block the plate. I said ok, but of course I didn't do that. So if he were to pull me over again he would probably write me a ticket for it. I try to avoid that neighborhood whenever I can, what with all the red light cameras and stuff (I also got a non-fightable $124 ticket in the mail, thanks to those cameras, for not making a complete stop at a red light before turning right).

Reply to this post

Response to Flying Squirrel (Reply #10)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:34 PM

12. FIXIT tickets, cost fifteen buck to clear now. And they go to warrant immed, if not cleared.

That includes the task, no matter if impossible. Such as a rare bike muffler, stock.

I got a fixit ticket one time, by a hardass cop, that harrassed me. he wrote it so that, even with the violation corrected, and it signed off by hwy patrol, the clerk said that I couldnt get that cleared, even if I saw the judge. I begged the clerk, and she gave me a wry look, and hit a button on her computer, and said, I was good to go.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:33 PM

11. We will have the OKIES all over again. And their cars will all be impounded for violations.

Right now, all the illegal aliens, were losing their cars, and the uproar was huge. So, they stopped impounding the illegal alien cars. The rethugs were screaming to start taking all their cars off the damn road. They dont want all them mexicans driving their jalopies. Soon, I'm sure they will again start impounding all the vehicle violations.

Reply to this post

Response to WingDinger (Reply #11)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:50 PM

13. I don't think anyone on this earth is illegal. How about undocumented immigrants. Don't fall for

that right wing put-down of people who do work we won't do. No offense meant.

Reply to this post

Response to demosincebirth (Reply #13)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:15 AM

14. Can we EFFIN make an acronym for that? Or what.

It would really help reduce typing.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:20 AM

15. Forced stripping is a tool used by governments to discourage dissent.

Last edited Sat Apr 7, 2012, 01:42 AM - Edit history (1)

How many people were trapped on that bridge and arrested during the Occupy protests?

We now have our own version of Egyptian virginity checks to intimidate people into thinking twice about joining an Occupy gathering to make their voices heard.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 09:52 AM

16. Welcome to life on RacerPlanet

NHDOT has decided that anyone towing a race car may racing for money, and is therefore hauling for hire - which requires a "physical card", and maybe a CDL - and makes things like gas cans and tiedowns subject to DOT approval. Further "proof" of "hauling for hire" include sponsor lettering.
I got hasseled for this at 11 PM on a Sunday, at the northern end of Crawford Notch. This does not, apparently, apply to boaters, snowmobilers, or significantly, landscapers.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread