HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ben MacDhui - Fear liath
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 06:26 PM

Ben MacDhui - Fear liath

Am Fear Liath Mòr

It is December 1925 and the highly respected scientist Professor Norman Collie is in Aberdeen to talk to his peers at the 27th Annual General Meeting of the Cairngorm Club. What his audience doesn’t know is the Professor is about to send a shock wave through the mountaineering world with his speech an a personal experience he had 35 years ago…

“I was returning from the cairn on the summit in a mist when I began to think I heard something else than merely the noise of my own footsteps. Every few steps I took I heard a crunch, then another crunch as if someone was walking after me but taking steps three or four times the length of my own. I said to myself ‘this is all nonsense’. I listened and heard it again but could see nothing in the mist . As I walked on and the eerie crunch, crunch sounded behind me I was seized with terror and took to my heels, staggering blindly among the boulders for four or five miles nearly down to Rothiemurchus Forest. Whatever you make of it I do not know, but there is something very queer about the top of Ben MacDhui and will not go back there again by myself I know.”

Professor Collie’s outburst was unexpected to say the least, he was described as an unshakable man certainly not given to flights of fancy. He was an experienced mountaineer, in fact ‘Mount Collie’ in Canada and the ‘Sgurr Thermaid’ (Norman’s Peak) on Skye were both named after the prominent Professor.

After the Professer spoke about his terrifying experience during that fateful Cairngorn Club it didn’t take very long for other mountain climbers to start talking about their own strange experiences but had previously to embarrassed and worried that they would not be taken seriously so had kept silent. Collie received a letter from an Dr A. M. Kellas telling the Professor of his own experience on Ben MacDhui. He and his brother had just reached the top when they saw in the distance a strange man walking towards them. This in itself may not be too frightening, but the height of the creature and the determined strides it was making towards the brothers certainly was. Scared witless they fled as soon as it disappeared down into a dip, not waiting to see it reappear.

9 replies, 1482 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ben MacDhui - Fear liath (Original post)
MichaelMcGuire Apr 2012 OP
Voice for Peace Apr 2012 #1
MichaelMcGuire Apr 2012 #7
muriel_volestrangler Apr 2012 #2
LineLineNew Reply .
MichaelMcGuire Apr 2012 #3
muriel_volestrangler Apr 2012 #5
MichaelMcGuire Apr 2012 #6
redqueen Apr 2012 #4
MichaelMcGuire Apr 2012 #8
redqueen Apr 2012 #9

Response to MichaelMcGuire (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:48 PM

1. wait.. what happens next?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Voice for Peace (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:26 PM

7. The Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 11:00 AM

2. "Ben MacDui" - it's a d, not the Gaelic 'dh'

which is pronounced completely differently:

d: d (softly)

dh: gh and y (gh as the ch when in contact with a, o or u and y when in contact with i or e)

http://housebarra.com/EP/ep05/16gaelic.html

If you want a full Gaelic spelling, it's 'Beinn MacDuibh':

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=299500&y=799500&z=120&sv=ben+macdui&st=3&tl=Map+of+Ben+Macdui+or+Beinn+MacDuibh,+Aberdeenshire+&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

It's notable that when you look up the correct spelling, you get a lot less nonsense about 'grey men'.

Reply to this post

Response to MichaelMcGuire (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:13 PM

5. I stand corrected - for a 1925 spelling, anyway

I'll still pronounce it as a 'd'. How about you?

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:25 PM

6. In English with a 'd'.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:11 PM

4. A fun campfire tale of Brocken spectres.

Love this kind of stuff.

Reply to this post

Response to MichaelMcGuire (Reply #8)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:43 PM

9. Nice!

I remember that name from D&D.

Faerie stories are some of the best ones IMO. I wish there were more storytellers around. It's sad to think of these tales disappearing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread