HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fukushima, the disaster t...

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 06:04 PM

Fukushima, the disaster that keeps on giving.

A year on we have learned from the Guardian things are not as stable as we were told. One major quake and fun, especially on unit two.

We have also learned that we did have meltdowns on all six units.

Oh and of course today we had a strontium laced water leak...TEPCO, per usual apologized...oops.

This disaster is becoming what some of us expected, a long term disaster that will continue for probably a decade or more.

I know some people did not want to believe this was as bad as it was. Yet historic lessons should have been clear. Three Mile Island has seen clusters, so has Chernobyl. Why would this be different? And now we have California Edison trying to reopen, before the Summer, unit two. Oh never mind it has a few issues and defects.

But history is not a guide when profits are at stake...

By the way, that's my back yard. Yup, out of the fifty mile zone, and your point?

Adds have been running locally. Pressure is building. My prediction, Southern Califrnia Edisson will turn that unit on before the Summer...let's hope the defects in the system don't lead to major issues.

As to Fuku, it will keep giving for decades to come...that is the nightmare of nuclear.

Oh and yup, need to go buy bananas...

5 replies, 949 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fukushima, the disaster that keeps on giving. (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 OP
PearliePoo2 Apr 2012 #1
gratuitous Apr 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 #3
gratuitous Apr 2012 #4
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2012 #5

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 06:35 PM

1. Japan's Gov't sets new safety standards for nuclear plants

Facing a national power crunch, the government is anxious to restart two reactors in Fukui, western Japan, before the last operating reactor of the 54 in the country goes offline in May.

But the public strongly opposes nuclear energy since the meltdowns at the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant, and local leaders are reluctant to approve restarting any of the reactors.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said the government can order utilities to restart reactors regardless of local opposition, because obtaining residentsí consent is not legally required.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/govt-sets-new-safety-standards-for-nuclear-plants

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 06:41 PM

2. So, you wanna go back to rubbing two sticks together for light?

Because that's the only alternative. Really and truly. Sticks or nukes. No other choices. That's it. So, you can either freeze in the dark, or get reasonable and sensible, and embrace nuclear energy! This message brought to you by Ordinary Citizens in Favor of Little Glowing Cauldrons of Radiation Everywhere Except in My Back Yard and Preferably Around Poor People Who Know Better Than to Waste Time Complaining (OCFLGCREEMBYPAPPWKBTWTC).

OCFLGCREEMBYPAPPWKBTWTC Cares About You!

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 06:43 PM

3. For a second I thought you were serious

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:19 PM

4. I win!

I wanna thank all the little people who made this necessary.

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:20 PM

5. Just for that

Where do I ship the bananas?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread