HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DC Councilman Marion Barr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 08:10 AM

DC Councilman Marion Barry apologizes for remark disparaging Asian businesses

WASHINGTON Just after yet another decisive electoral victory, D.C. Councilman Marion Barry is once again embroiled in controversy, this time for remarks disparaging Asian-owned businesses in his poor, majority-black ward.

At his primary election victory party on Tuesday, Barry said: "We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. ... They ought to go. I'm going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too." His comments were first reported by WRC-TV. Barry apologized on Thursday for the comments.

"I want to express my deep apology for offending some members of the Asian community and the D.C. community," Barry said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I have a solid record of relationships with the Asian community."

The former mayor won the Democratic primary for his Ward 8 council seat with 73 percent of the vote, all but assuring him of another four-year term.

Read more: http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/1e31de2cf203420aa56380fd7104b75c/US--Barry-Asian-Businesses/

7 replies, 986 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply DC Councilman Marion Barry apologizes for remark disparaging Asian businesses (Original post)
The Northerner Apr 2012 OP
HipChick Apr 2012 #1
Ecumenist Apr 2012 #2
Zalatix Apr 2012 #4
The Northerner Apr 2012 #7
think Apr 2012 #3
Zalatix Apr 2012 #5
WorseBeforeBetter Apr 2012 #6

Response to HipChick (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:40 AM

2. Asians DO NOT hold the monopoly on nastiness. I've been to places owned by just about EVERY

ethnic group that were FLAT OUT NASTY! Didn't stay or spend NAY money once I found out, either. To imply that Asians are dirtier than any other group is just wrong and xenophobic. Barry's got a nerve talking about ANYONE when you consider his background and past.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ecumenist (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:15 AM

4. +1,000,000!!!

Jeepers CREEPERS, I can't believe we just dive right into this divisiveness so willingly.

Reply to this post

Response to HipChick (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 01:55 PM

7. So, you're actually justifying Marion Barry's racist generalization of Asian businesses? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to The Northerner (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:13 AM

3. At least he appogized and didn't try to Santorumize it /nt

Reply to this post

Response to think (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:15 AM

5. True. Let's hope he never does this again.

Reply to this post

Response to The Northerner (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:25 AM

6. Former Mayor "Bitch Set Me Up" has been involved in DC politics for how long now?

Since the 1970s? He's had more than enough time to help African-American businesspeople set up shop, and to make sure existing restaurants are properly inspected. Yet, he keeps being voted back into office...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread