HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » We Need To Silence RW Hat...

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:36 PM

We Need To Silence RW Hate Radio Once And For All.

I do not care about the POS on hate radio. We ought to silence hate radio. If we are going to survive as a country we need to stop these people from spilling so much vitriol. Remember they are calling for violence against Democrats, homosexuals, minorities etc in thousands of coded ways.

We need to toos O'Reillay, Hannity, Limball, Beck and others out of the country. They are not fellow Americans. If we let them persist the country will go down.

The killing of the Arab women is a casualty of the race and class war that hate radio is inciting. How many more innoccent people are going to be murdered because of the RW.

Addendum - We need to put maximum political pressure on them. Take away their sponsors. Go after them personally for being the racists, bigots and misogynists they are. To a Limbaugh routine on them. Confront them in public when we see them. Unless they feel the heat from fair minded people, nothing will change.

46 replies, 4905 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 46 replies Author Time Post
Reply We Need To Silence RW Hate Radio Once And For All. (Original post)
TheMastersNemesis Mar 2012 OP
Dawson Leery Mar 2012 #1
BanTheGOP Mar 2012 #32
SlimJimmy Mar 2012 #33
BanTheGOP Mar 2012 #34
SlimJimmy Mar 2012 #37
onenote Mar 2012 #44
arcane1 Mar 2012 #2
razorman Mar 2012 #6
Occulus Mar 2012 #14
Meiko Mar 2012 #38
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 2012 #3
stop them Mar 2012 #4
TheMastersNemesis Mar 2012 #9
Lionessa Mar 2012 #13
izquierdista Mar 2012 #11
RZM Mar 2012 #17
mmonk Mar 2012 #27
Meiko Mar 2012 #39
mmonk Mar 2012 #40
slackmaster Mar 2012 #5
razorman Mar 2012 #8
slackmaster Mar 2012 #10
razorman Mar 2012 #31
slackmaster Mar 2012 #36
TheMastersNemesis Mar 2012 #7
SomethingFishy Mar 2012 #18
Occulus Mar 2012 #22
bowens43 Mar 2012 #21
Enrique Mar 2012 #12
Speck Tater Mar 2012 #15
sadbear Mar 2012 #16
TheMastersNemesis Mar 2012 #19
sadbear Mar 2012 #25
bowens43 Mar 2012 #20
TheMastersNemesis Mar 2012 #23
cali Mar 2012 #29
Major Hogwash Mar 2012 #42
RZM Mar 2012 #43
Major Hogwash Mar 2012 #45
RZM Mar 2012 #46
opihimoimoi Mar 2012 #24
shagnasty Mar 2012 #26
cali Mar 2012 #28
greytdemocrat Mar 2012 #30
Xyzse Mar 2012 #35
KharmaTrain Mar 2012 #41

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Original post)

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:38 PM

1. Don't forget the overt racist Mike "Weiner" Savage.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dawson Leery (Reply #1)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:47 PM

32. OP is a few years too late

Frankly, we will have a tougher time to do anything the OP would like to enact. I wrote on this very aspect three years ago here:

"Return the Fairness Doctrine...NOW!!"
http://journals.democraticunderground.com/BanTheGOP/59|

Of course, this would have worked in conjunction with banning the republican Party, which I argue is NOT a political party with first amendment privileges, but an organization that has criminal elements and intent with its purpose, which subjects it to existing RICO statutes.

The fact is the Obama administration should just enact its Executive Branch powers under the US Constitution and tax the radio stations out of existence, in much the same way he has bankrupted new coal mining startups. THAT would be the first immediate effect, and can be done virtually overnight.

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #32)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:58 PM

33. Since when did the executive branch of government have the power to lay taxes? What constitution

are you reading? Certainly not ours.

The fact is the Obama administration should just enact its Executive Branch powers under the US Constitution and tax the radio stations out of existence, in much the same way he has bankrupted new coal mining startups. THAT would be the first immediate effect, and can be done virtually overnight.

Reply to this post

Response to SlimJimmy (Reply #33)

Mon Mar 26, 2012, 02:26 PM

34. Our constitution states that the Executive Branch can enact emergency actions such as this

While the Fairness Doctrine has been rendered null and void by the Reaganazis in the 80's, the fact is that if there is a threat to this country through actions that have been proven criminal, such as negating oil drilling for safety reasons or restraining public discord, a progressive president not only has a right and prerogative, but a DUTY to impose sanctions from the executive level. Once he's reelected, it will be far easier as he won't have to worry about another term. At least that's my take.

EDIT: Actually, what he CAN do is to mandate localization requirements, which will nullify national talk radio. That's an economic and commerce clause issue, not a first amendment issue. That is what he would most probably do, and one that can pass muster with the Supreme Court, at least 5 of the justices.

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #34)

Mon Mar 26, 2012, 03:23 PM

37. No it doesn't. The powers granted in the Constitution are very specific. Laying taxes is not a

power granted to the Executive branch, period. Try again or retract your statement.

Here is what the Constitution says specifically about executive branch power:

Section. 2.

Clause 1: The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Clause 2: He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Clause 3: The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Here is what the Constitution says specifically about legislative branch branch power:

Section. 8.

Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #34)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 11:03 AM

44. Your constitution may say that, but then again, I don't know what planet you're living on

But the Constitution of the United States of America doesn't say anything like that.

Moreover, while the Supreme Court on your planet might uphold a "localization" requirement intended to restrain speech, its far from clear that the US SCOTUS would. In fact, its by no means clear that today's SCOTUS would uphold a new Fairness Doctrine.

Hope the weather is good on your planet.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:40 PM

2. If only we didn't have that pesky 1st amendment n/t

Reply to this post

Response to arcane1 (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:48 PM

6. Absolutely. How inconvenient. Actually, this post sounds uncomfortably

similar to the "hate speech" it decries. Also, to what murders of Arab women is the poster referring?
If he means the various "honor killings" going on around the world, they are being perpetrated by evil barbarians who likely don't even own radios. As much as I despise the views of people like Beck, Limbaugh, etc., I am not going to pretend to be privy to some 'hidden hate code' in their speech. They have a right to their opinion, just as we do.

Reply to this post

Response to razorman (Reply #6)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:14 AM

14. We already have horrifying validation of the OP's premise

Radio Rwanda.

Reply to this post

Response to arcane1 (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 06:13 AM

38. Exactly

First the government is silencing talk radio and then they are silencing you. I prefer to use the dial on my radio, it is immediate and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:43 PM

3. Sure is a shame we have that inconvenient Constitution standing in the way

of silencing everybody we don't agree with.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #3)

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:47 PM

4. it does get in the way of a good totalitarian system...n/t

Reply to this post

Response to stop them (Reply #4)

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:55 PM

9. Totalitarianism Is What They Support And Advocate

Virtually all of the eliminationist rhetoric comes from the RW and hate radio. Beck talks that trash almost all the time in many subtle and even overt ways. What part of Rove's one party system mantra do we not understand. They silence others all the time with intimidation and scorched earth character assassination. We can play parliamentary games all we want, but they will win the war because they have bought all the messaging outlets. 90% of the dial is pretty much hate radio all across the country.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #9)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:14 AM

13. Rather than silence, perhaps accountability and some

regulations to stop the rampant lying. Other than that, what you suggest is just wrong on so many levels.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:09 AM

11. You must not be a Tutsi cockroach

If you were, you might think of "freedom of speech" differently.

Reply to this post

Response to izquierdista (Reply #11)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:29 AM

17. Check out this thread from the OP

Remember Republican voters and their politicians are no more than snakes, weasels or cockroaches. They will sneak back in the dead of night or under the radar and bite you.

It's from a week ago.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002433932

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:20 AM

27. The 1st amendment has been stretched to mean anything which means it means nothing.

What was put into place to allow airing of grievances by the people has been misconstrued into anything goes and lies for news.

Reply to this post

Response to mmonk (Reply #27)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 06:17 AM

39. I don't know

It seems pretty clear to me.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Reply to this post

Response to Meiko (Reply #39)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:18 AM

40. Money is speech and corporations are people.

Those interpretations are the end to freedom here.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:47 PM

5. I'm going to have to join the others who have cited the First Amendment here

We have laws that pretty clearly define what constitutes incitement to commit crimes. We also have civil courts in which issues of defamation can be worked out. Any speech that doesn't qualify for a criminal or civil remedy is protected by the Constitution.

If you don't like what someone is saying on the radio, you always have the option of changing the station or turning the thing off.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #5)

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:52 PM

8. Hear, hear. If those assholes can be silenced, so can the more vocal elements on the left.

The ones who really need to be silenced are the ones directly (and illegally) advocating violence, like the New Black Panther group that has put out a 'dead or alive' notice on George Zimmerman, the man accused by some of murdering Trayvon Martin. We have a system to take care of such matters. We may not be satisfied with the results, but do not have the right to turn vigilante ourselves.

Reply to this post

Response to razorman (Reply #8)

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:58 PM

10. I think bad ideas SHOULD be aired so that people can discuss them and figure out for themselves...

...what they really think.

ETA I just gave this thread a DU Rec because I think it is a terrible idea.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #10)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:19 PM

31. I'm with you there. If we start silencing people because we detected a "code" in their language,

it won't be long before someone silences us. The whole point of free speech is that everyone gets the right to express their point of view, regardless of how silly it might be. As far as I know, I am the only one who is always right.

Reply to this post

Response to razorman (Reply #31)

Mon Mar 26, 2012, 02:34 PM

36. I'm always right as well, but I have another advantage over most people

I never lie.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:49 PM

7. What They Are Doing Goes Beyond Just Disagreement.

They are inciting violence in hundreds of coded ways. They are race baiting and calling on people to act with their code. Incitement goes beyond the first amendment. And we have a right to stop and silence incitement.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #7)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:41 AM

18. They never cross the line into outright incitement

they know exactly where the line is and they go right up to it. Which is fine with me. THey have the right to be useless wastes of flesh.

The system is working exactly like it's supposed to. Rush is free to be a complete asshole on the air and people are free to listen to him, to not listen to him, to support or not to support him, and they are free to boycott the shit out of him and drive his sponsors away.

The first amendment has it's down sides, but as we have seen you can only go so far before people tell you to STFU.

Reply to this post

Response to SomethingFishy (Reply #18)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:54 AM

22. "The system is working exactly like it's supposed to."

So far.

How do we deal with it when that stops being the case?

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #7)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:51 AM

21. No, we don't have that right. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:12 AM

12. the killing of the Arab women?

huh?

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:20 AM

15. Right on! Who wants freedom of the press if it means we can't silence those we disagree with? nt

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:22 AM

16. Don't know about silencing it

But there certainly needs to be a direct mechanism for responding to all of its lies.

Reply to this post

Response to sadbear (Reply #16)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:47 AM

19. Left Silenced By Ownership All The Time

The left is being silenced all the time by ownership. Liberal talk was shut down in San Francisco the other day and replaced by Beck. They backtracked some but still reduced progressive talk. Washington DC is the most Democratic area in the country yet has NO progressive talk. You can drive for hundreds of mile in the midwest and there is NO progressive talk within 800 miles when I travel through from Denver to Illinois. Christian radio has bought some stations and turned off progressive radio.

The excuse is that it is not profitable in so and so markets. That is a lie. Seems like progressives are more interested in protecting the 1st amendment rights of the haters but are reluctant to defend or demand progressive talk rights. We are being silenced every single day in thousands of ways. Yet I see few defending progressive rights.

We can play this purity game all we want and we will end up with a corporate christofascist state . When 90% of the airwaves are RW hate radio and many newspapers now are RW. Include the corrupt MSM and the progressive and Democratic message goes no where.

The MSM only uses Democrats for punching bags. And Sunday TV is mostly Republican with a few token Democrats thrown in. Most of the country thinks the Affordable Care Act is a failure and a lemon because none of the message has gotten out.

You hear well Democrats do not know how to message. Well if you don't have a vehicle to get the message out you can have all the message you want and it will not matter.

Ownership in the media is deliberately silencing progressive programming. They has also succeeded in tipping PBS to the right in some subtle ways.

I don't give a damn about the 1st Amendment Rights of these bigots inciting hatred when progressive 1st Amendment rights are already being trampled on with impunity. We can play this bean bag game all we want and be right and we will and are getting our butts handed to us.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #19)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:02 AM

25. We can win on the merit of our ideas alone

We don't need to silence them at all. Just a chance to respond in kind.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:50 AM

20. we don't need to silence anyone.

they have an absolute right to spout all the hatred, bigotry and ignorance they wish to.

And those hateful idiots you listed, are fellow Americans.

I have no problem asking their sponsors to drop their support but we have no right to insist that they stop or to force them to stop.

Reply to this post

Response to bowens43 (Reply #20)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 12:59 AM

23. I Do Not Consider Them Fellow Americans.

I do not consider them as fellow Americans at all. I am a veteran and I consider them just like the enemy. They are like the VC nor NVA in Vietnam in my books. I would not waste my time defending any one of them if they were in harms way. They are the enemy of democracy. They are deliberately killing this country.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #23)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 05:06 AM

29. yeah? Well YOUR delusions don't hold sway.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #23)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 08:12 AM

42. I agree, they are deliberately killing this country, one piece at a time.

This is a great thread.
Just look at all the dissenters you got with just this one thread!

Reply to this post

Response to Major Hogwash (Reply #42)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 10:30 AM

43. Are you saying that liberals who stand up for the first amendment are 'dissenting?'

I would argue the opposite. We are far and away the majority. We are standing up for the constitution and free speech. The 'dissidents' are those who, for some odd reason, don't believe in one of our most cherished core values. Thankfully relatively few people share that sentiment.

Reply to this post

Response to RZM (Reply #43)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 02:16 PM

45. Check out my thread in the Activism topic section.

To see just how many "liberals" were willing to sign my petition to get Limbaugh off of AFRN radio for your answer.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Hogwash (Reply #45)

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 02:49 PM

46. OP said he wanted to

'Toss Limbaugh etc. out of the country' for their speech and that he 'doesn't consider them fellow Americans.'

Fuck that.

Petitioning AFRN is your right. Nothing wrong with that - more power to you. But ejecting people from the country for their speech is not how we do things here.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 01:00 AM

24. we need to minimize the hate bait for the listeners with exposure of the evil intent of race baiting

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:09 AM

26. Lets Go After the Real Crap Spreaders

While Limpballs and his ilk are bad enough, there are worse! We need to go after the whole ALEC organization and those whole enable them. The blowhards speak evil - ALEC is doing the evil.

As a guest on UP with Chris Hayes pointed out today - it was the the NRA who encouraged ALEC to incorporate the "Stand Your Ground Law" into their agenda. This was done with the sponsorship and blessings of Walmart.

My wife and I agreed that we may need to shop Walmart we would pass any item in their stores unless there was a significant price incentive and will pass on any non-food item in their store.

Let's go after the people who take our money and then spend it to sponsor these groups. Walmart is highly visable and susceptible to consumer pressures.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 05:05 AM

28. nope. sorry. the 1st amendment actually has meaning- although clearly not to YOU

I'm so sick of these disgusting posts. They're as bad as the wingnut dog shit about banning Islam.

Excuse me while I

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #28)

Sun Mar 25, 2012, 08:38 AM

30. Yep.

According to the OP Super Genius you'd have to get rid of Mike Malloy too.
Great job Comrade!!!

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #28)

Mon Mar 26, 2012, 02:33 PM

35. Agreed

Even if they are hateful, idiotic windbags, they are allowed their say.
Stating that, it is allowed for them to suffer the consequences of what they say. Loss of sponsors, cutting of funding are not an issue, however if one tries to get the government to make an action to silence them, I would have to fight to keep their voices heard, no matter how much I disagree with them.

Asking for governmental actions to take them off air is a disservice to the cause. Rather than allowing them to die off through attrition, it makes them huddle up and support them even more no matter how dumb the position may be.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 27, 2012, 07:53 AM

41. The Problem Has Been Access...

Rushbo and other hate spewer's power have come from their ability to dominate the most powerful stations...most owned by a handful of corporates. "Deregulation" destroyed local radio and broadcast diversity as satellites and "consolidation" replaced many voices with only a few. It's destroyed a dying medium as hate radio was designed to cater to a small audience that still clung onto their AM radios and became a political tool of the right wing.

AM Radio is going the way of the rotary phone...passe technology now surpassed by television and now the internet. It'd seen its audience decline as alternatives for information and entertainment become more available. Almost all of us are closer to a computer than a radio these days...and a growing number are now getting connected in cars and via smartphones that will lead to further erosion of the existing radio model...and with it will go the hate spewer's unique platform.

The internet and netroots have become a great equalizer. Look at the shitstorms that flew following the Komen/PPA outrage and then again when rushbo spewed his bile against a woman daring to speak up in public. The combination of websites such as DU and social networking have interconnected people beyond what hate radio can do...and as its audience gets older and more isolated, the less effect it will have. Unfortunately it's influence on the corrupt and inept rushpublican party is what makes it dangerous...our job is to prevent that party from gaining power...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread