HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trayvon Martin's death is...

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 PM

Trayvon Martin's death is making America reflect upon itself...

On issues of race, guns, the police, our laws, crime and justice.

And it's a long time coming.

Justice For Trayvon

20 replies, 1892 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trayvon Martin's death is making America reflect upon itself... (Original post)
MrScorpio Mar 2012 OP
Little Star Mar 2012 #1
peacebird Mar 2012 #2
grasswire Mar 2012 #3
krispos42 Mar 2012 #6
X_Digger Mar 2012 #14
grasswire Mar 2012 #18
Art_from_Ark Mar 2012 #20
HipChick Mar 2012 #7
Little Star Mar 2012 #10
peacebird Mar 2012 #13
CakeGrrl Mar 2012 #19
apocalypsehow Mar 2012 #4
arthritisR_US Mar 2012 #8
Loudly Mar 2012 #9
apocalypsehow Mar 2012 #11
arthritisR_US Mar 2012 #12
RZM Mar 2012 #15
Pacafishmate Mar 2012 #17
freshwest Mar 2012 #5
Uncle Joe Mar 2012 #16

Response to MrScorpio (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:12 PM

1. That's a good thing. It's just to bad....

that Trayvon had to lose his life for America to reflect upon itself. What a loss for his family and for all of us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Little Star (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:16 PM

2. I was so naive when Obama was elected. I actually thought it meant we had turned the corner...

Instead sadly we have descended into semi-open racism again. "code speak" racism.

Reply to this post

Response to peacebird (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:27 PM

3. the rage of the impotent

Despite their best efforts, Republicans are not winning the ideological battle. Not the culture wars, not the policy wars. This impotence generates the rage. It opens all the old wounds.

It's an ugly time. But remember: even a dung pile will grow roses.

Reply to this post

Response to grasswire (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:36 PM

6. They don't want to win the culture wars.

Losing the culture wars gives them a constant stream of pain, humiliation, worry, "moral panic", donations, organization, energy, effort, and long-term motivation. The losers in any conflict tend to nurse their loss far longer than the winners do. Witness the way the South still keeps the Civil War fresh, while the North has pretty much moved on. Or the way that Germany nursed the wounds of WW1.

They want to win the economic wars, because THAT'S what the GOP bigwigs want...the money and the power that comes with it. They get people elected who generate distraction with losing culture stuff, while in the background they slip in tiny changes to massive bills and come to fruition months or years later.

Reply to this post

Response to krispos42 (Reply #6)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:16 PM

14. Sadly, +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:17 AM

18. okay, but the rank and file express the rage in vigilanteeism

The "overseers" and bigwigs don't want to win the culture wars, but the rank and file sure do, and will (as we see daily) become ever more violent in their sociopathy.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:45 AM

20. Germany nursed the wounds of World War I because of its harsh treatment afterwards

One could easily make the case that all European parties were equally culpable in starting World War I because of all the entangling alliances and intensive competition for colonies and military power that made many of those parties itching for a fight. Yet when it was all over, Germany was singled out for harsh punishment. One of its punishments was the demand for excessive compensation by the victors that drained Germany's treasury and sent its economy into a downward spiral of hyperinflation.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:37 PM

7. Descended? Racism never went away..the difference now it is much more acceptable out in the open

fanned by the usual suspects...r/w, limpballs,Newt etc

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:52 PM

10. Having a black president seems to have...

opened up the flood gates of racism. I too thought we as a country were getting over the racism but it's obvious we aren't. In fact I think it's worse than I've ever seen it in my life time. They ( the racists) are out of control.

Reply to this post

Response to Little Star (Reply #10)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:08 PM

13. Sadly have to agree.... And I saw the Jim Crow signs as a child in SC...

Reply to this post

Response to Little Star (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:21 AM

19. +10000

People were too nonchalant / passive / disinterested to consider the implications of this ridiculous law to stop it.

It ALWAYS seems to cost a human life or lives before people stop and think.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:29 PM

4. It's not making me reflect on anything. I've long maintained that there are too many racist assholes

with too many guns in their hands running around looking to be heroes. All this does is confirm something many of us have argued for long and hard down in the Gungeon with the right wing assholes who are allowed to congregate and post their Republican talking points about guns in that forum.

Reply to this post

Response to apocalypsehow (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:38 PM

8. What is the Gungeon? That name has

been mentioned a few times, the past few days but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Reply to this post

Response to arthritisR_US (Reply #8)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:52 PM

9. The DU Guns forum. A clever play on words.

Reply to this post

Response to arthritisR_US (Reply #8)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:55 PM

11. The one forum on DU where the Right wing is allowed free reign, and on DU3 they even run things down

there. It's a curious phenomenon to have an unofficial NRA sub-forum on an liberal discussion board dedicated to electing Democrats, but there you are.

Reply to this post

Response to apocalypsehow (Reply #11)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:06 PM

12. Thank you both! I had no idea there is an

NRA forum, now I am morbidly curious

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:18 PM

15. Guns just aren't a winner for Democrats

They are a winner for Republicans. Remember how much we heard about guns in the early 1990s? Now how much of an issue are they nationally?

Skinner knows this and he allows DUers to support gun rights for few reasons:

1) It's not a winner for Democrats
2) It's in the constitution
3) Plenty of liberals are responsible gun owners

There was a telling exchange in the Gungeon a few months ago that really stuck out. I won't like to it because I don't feel like searching for it.

But essentially one anti-gun poster said they would trade pro-2nd amendment liberals for the Log Cabin Republicans. And the response was priceless. It basically said:

'Log Cabin Republicans might support gay marriage, but they also support removing environmental regulations, tax cuts for the rich, and who knows what other conservative policies (probably including gun rights). I support everything you do except for gun laws. So do you really want to trade me for them?'

After that, I can't hate on the Gungeon.

I've said for years that liberals and conservative can horse-trade on guns and gays. We'll let them have all the guns they want if they give us full marriage equality. I'd support that in a heartbeat.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:33 PM

17. Sorry that everyone else does not share all your opinions.

Oh noes, someone disagrees with me , I better call them a republican for good measure. Liberals do own guns and I'm sorry that you're too closed-minded to accept that.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:34 PM

5. May this open eyes and hearts by walking in another's shoes.

'Love one another' was not a suggestion.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:27 PM

16. I agree except for that segment of America which primarily or only gets its' information from FOX.

Just flipping through the networks you can see coverage of this tragedy and the aftermath on CNN or MSNBC but when I you checked out FOX all I heard was a whining Bill O'Reighley gazing at his belly navel with Laura Ingram and talking about how the right wing is abused and misunderstood.

I would like to think their ludicrous vanity is only marginalizing them, I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the thread, MrScorpio.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread