HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Jury questioning about ex...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:13 PM

Jury questioning about experiences with law enforcement

On jury duty a while back (in real life, not DU) I spent a day listening to the jury questioning process. As most of you already know, they usually ask questions about any experiences the prospective jury members have had with crime and law enforcement officers.

Nearly everybody questioned had some experience with crime. Many also described negative experiences with LEO. Then the judge asked a question to the whole panel: has anybody had a good, positive experience with law enforcement?

You should have heard the crickets! Not one single person responded. Not one.

I remember a time when law enforcement officers were the good guys. What has happened to us?

8 replies, 980 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Jury questioning about experiences with law enforcement (Original post)
Duer 157099 Mar 2012 OP
jwirr Mar 2012 #1
trof Mar 2012 #8
cynatnite Mar 2012 #2
ArcticFox Mar 2012 #3
Duer 157099 Mar 2012 #5
safeinOhio Mar 2012 #7
RiffRandell Mar 2012 #6
Bandit Mar 2012 #4

Response to Duer 157099 (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:09 PM

1. When the law enforcement were the good guys. Having lived through the 60s I would have to go

back to the early 50s when my grandfather was a city policeman and actually drove the kids home to sleep it off. Since then I have seen to much of the "bully" come out in their ranks. Even in small communities.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jwirr (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:21 PM

8. Yep, the 50s.

On more than one occasion I should have been arrested for DUI and underage at that.
Back then it was DWI, Driving While Intoxicated.
Booze was the only 'Influence' available to us.

Once I passed the 'field sobriety' test.
Fingers to nose with eyes closed.
Heel-to-toe walking of the white line down the middle of the street.
I shouldn't have, but I was extremely well-coordinated, even when drunk.
(There was no Breathalyzer back then.)

Another time the cop said "Where are you going?"
"Home."
"I'll follow you."
And he did.
As soon as I pulled into our driveway he waved and left.
Those guys had heart and remembered they'd been young and irresponsible once.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:16 PM

2. Law enforcement officers kept my ex-husband from coming after me...

Society has changed over the years. The violence has changed. I think law enforcement has more to contend with and not enough is done to help them deal with the emotional aftermath when they're faced with violence. This is not an excuse...it's a fact.

We have a cop in the family and he made it to retirement. This was after losing a few good friends who were also cops. He never believed he would live to his retirement. He said helping people is a great plus, but the death and violence he saw through his years takes a toll and the department he worked for did next to nothing for him or his fellow officers. I should add that he worked in a large city.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:42 PM

3. My experience with police has gotten me excused from service twice now.

What's happened to us? It's something to which most people are ignorant although it's unmistakable once you look: we've become a fascist police state. Not like Italy and Germany circa WWII, but rather a "nice" fascism that hides behind the facade of democracy. It's a fascism that controls by propaganda, saving the guns for the rare times when people see through the propaganda.

Reply to this post

Response to ArcticFox (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:46 PM

5. I was literally holding my breath when the judge asked that and then silence ensued

I was waiting for someone to break the silence with something, anything, even a joke, but it was deathly silent. I felt really sad and really angry at the same time.

Reply to this post

Response to Duer 157099 (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:02 PM

7. Oh boy.

I go next week. A question on the list was about any relationship to LEOs. Now if the judge ask me about any positive ones I've got this. After my ex divorced me(a deputy) the sheriff saved me by telling all of her friends on the force if they pulled me over for any reason they would be fired. He was also kind enough to suggest that, if possible, it might be a good idea to move away from the area as she is out to get me and she is armed. Because of it she lost her long time job in law enforcement.

form all of this, I'd say there are really good ones and really bad ones.

Reply to this post

Response to ArcticFox (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:49 PM

6. Once for me. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:46 PM

4. I for one am damn glad we have them around though..

I know many abuse their authority but can you imagine the world we would be living in without them? Does Somalia ring any bells..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread