HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On our business environme...

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:31 PM

On our business environment (Apple, J. Crew, Wallmart Et al)

We all might scratch heads as to what they do. So the first step is to understand their obligations.

No, they have zero obligations under the current legal environment to produce jobs in the us.

Their obligation is to have ever expanding profits for their investors. That's it.

Their managers and chairmen of boards learn this early on. They attend business schools where the mantra of the day is get ahead, even if you have to drive a knife ( metaphorically speaking of course) into the back of your project mate. Distrust in the name of the game and greed is goid is learned early.

Oh and rewards, as in money, comes early.

For a example I will offer a top student at an elite school, who in the course of a six week internship with a NYC firm will make just bellow the median salary in the us. How do 30k sound to you. Once he graduates he is expecting to make a five fihure salary out of college.

That is how this environment was created. And the lawyers and lobbyists working for these firms have worked hard to ensure maximum profits to their clients. It is not a single company, this is what lack of regulations and friends in high places have caused.

I don't blame a single company for doing what legally they need to do. So here is the question, how do we change the ecosystem?

Oh and I am all for the liberal application of the Sherman Anti Trust Act and tariffs at the border. In fact, as far as I am concerned a few of these companies might do well to move lock stock and barrel to China, because the populist mood will not be that healthy for them. Not at least what they consider healthy.

4 replies, 1278 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply On our business environment (Apple, J. Crew, Wallmart Et al) (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Mar 2012 OP
abelenkpe Mar 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Mar 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Mar 2012 #3
zappaman Mar 2012 #4

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:54 PM

1. This has been the case for the past fifteen years

Please lemmeno if you come up with an answer. I've changed my career twice and may have to again. Have watched jobs slowly outsourced and off shored in both areas. Don't have too many years left although I could move to Vancouver or New Zealand if no one does anything to turn things around.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:00 PM

2. I think the answer is in actually enforcing us law

And changing a value system that produces little Geckos by the bucketful.

The latter will not be easy...ethics, they don't bother with that one any longer at elite schools.

But from a legal perspective, it is high time we use the Sherman Antitrust and break up a few companies. In other words, tat we apply that very capitalist value of breaking up monopolies.

It might happen, since people are pissed.

Oh and we must either enforce all the side agreements we pay lip service to, or get out of free trade agreements.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:49 PM

3. Important kick

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:50 PM

4. "Important kick"

No it's not.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread