HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Rude Pundit: The NRA ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:13 PM

The Rude Pundit: The NRA and Florida Legislators Killed Trayvon Martin as Surely as a Gun Did

Well, what the fuck did you expect, Florida, you limp, useless cock of the diseased body America? You make guns as easy to get as a package from Amazon (regular shipping), you pass concealed carry laws, and you pass a law that says that if people "have a reasonable belief that they are in danger of death or great bodily harm" they can kill the fuck out of someone out in public. No need to run away. No need to call the cops first. Just Spidey senses a-tingling. Did you not expect that at some point, some creepy vigilante wouldn't get the chance to live out his Batman fantasies? Of course, George Zimmerman, not being in the physical shape of Batman, was just a stupid asshole who shot a skinny, unarmed teenager because he felt threatened by black guys in hoodies walking through his 'hood.

Back on April 13, 2005, when the "Stand Your Ground" bill had just passed the Florida legislature, Bo Dietl, the former cop who appears on TV constantly to support law enforcement in his deranged goombah way (thus leading him to be a regular Daily Show and Colbert Report punchline interview subject), said on MSNBC's Scarborough Country that the new law was "idiotic" and a "ludicrous and ridiculous law. And Jeb Bush must be smoking a crack pipe...If you have a feeling, if you have a belief or that you are threatened, that you can react and react first, then you open up a whole Pandora's box here."

Anybody with a fucking brain, and even a few without, knew what was going to happen. In early 2005, when the bill was quickly debated and savagely passed, State Senator Steve Geller, a Democrat, warned, "I don't think you ought to be able to kill people that are walking toward you on the street because of this subjective belief that you're worried that they may get in a fight with you." The street, he said, is not your castle. (Note: Pat Buchanan said in 2005 on The McLaughlin Group that the law's passage was a "Great victory for Bush and for America." Is he dead yet?)

Politicians, on the right and in the middle, are to blame for Trayvon Martin's execution. All over the nation, but especially in Florida, the National Rifle Association threatens to destroy any legislator who refuses to bend over and let it shove cash into their assholes. The NRA wants an exception to the 3-day waiting period for people with concealed carry licenses, as they did in the Sunshine State? The Republicans in Tallahassee line up and open their asses for that cash to be shoveled in, along with the promise that the almighty motherfucking NRA will support them in a primary. And then, their asses full to their lower intestines with filthy money, the legislators get on their knees in front of NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer as she holds a pistol between her legs and they suck on it until the barrel has rubbed her kooz to orgasm. Then they pass every idiotarded law the gun nuts want under the umbrella of "rights." That's how the NRA works, motherfuckers, and then they tell us it's to keep us safe.

Seriously, if the ACLU were as deranged in defending the First Amendment as the NRA is in defending its distorted version of the Second, you'd be able to walk up to a crucifixion statue in the middle of St. Boyrape's Cathedral, shit on Christ's face, and claim "freedom of expression," and the laws would back you up and how dare anyone be such a pussy as to claim that shitting on Christ's face isn't free speech.

Trayvon Martin was killed by a gun. No, guns alone don't kill people. People with guns do, though. And, chances are, if George Zimmerman wasn't carrying one, he wouldn't have pursued Martin. He wouldn't have ignored the 911 operator's call for him to stand down. And Martin would still be alive.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

43 replies, 4020 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 43 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Rude Pundit: The NRA and Florida Legislators Killed Trayvon Martin as Surely as a Gun Did (Original post)
meegbear Mar 2012 OP
KG Mar 2012 #1
villager Mar 2012 #2
Mojorabbit Mar 2012 #3
Shirley0401 Mar 2012 #20
Baitball Blogger Mar 2012 #4
Cirque du So-What Mar 2012 #5
Paladin Mar 2012 #6
abelenkpe Mar 2012 #7
lark Mar 2012 #8
X_Digger Mar 2012 #9
baldguy Mar 2012 #25
X_Digger Mar 2012 #27
baldguy Mar 2012 #32
X_Digger Mar 2012 #33
baldguy Mar 2012 #37
X_Digger Mar 2012 #39
MattSh Mar 2012 #42
X_Digger Mar 2012 #43
fascisthunter Mar 2012 #30
slackmaster Mar 2012 #10
Hoyt Mar 2012 #11
slackmaster Mar 2012 #12
baldguy Mar 2012 #24
X_Digger Mar 2012 #34
baldguy Mar 2012 #36
X_Digger Mar 2012 #41
gratuitous Mar 2012 #26
X_Digger Mar 2012 #35
myrna minx Mar 2012 #13
LanternWaste Mar 2012 #14
gopiscrap Mar 2012 #15
Daemonaquila Mar 2012 #16
Lizzie Poppet Mar 2012 #17
TroglodyteScholar Mar 2012 #18
Mojorabbit Mar 2012 #23
fascisthunter Mar 2012 #28
arthritisR_US Mar 2012 #19
indepat Mar 2012 #21
malaise Mar 2012 #22
opihimoimoi Mar 2012 #29
jpak Mar 2012 #31
cherokeeprogressive Mar 2012 #38
badtoworse Mar 2012 #40

Response to meegbear (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:14 PM

1. rec.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:17 PM

2. Yup. Yet more blood on NRA hands.

n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:20 PM

3. He was looking for trouble

and someone looking for trouble will use what is at hand. A bat, bare hands, a knife, a car..etc. It happens everyday in America. I am not blaming it on the gun. He had made 40 something calls to the police over time. It was building and he was going to do something gun or no gun.

Reply to this post

Response to Mojorabbit (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:59 PM

20. I disagree...

With all due respect, I think you're mistaken.
Any of the first three would require him to get close enough to make contact. I'm betting Trayvon could have gotten clear before Zimmerman landed a punch. Judging from the photographs I've seen, he wasn't in the best shape to run down a teenager who's scared for his life. Additionally, and of the first three would a) give Trayvon a fighting chance, b) present the actual (as opposed to BS "perceived") threat of harm to the racist, c) would have been impossible to defend after the first strike, and Trayvon was on the ground. "Standing your ground" doesn't apply when witnesses start to gather and can testify that the assailant kicked/hit/stab a kid who is lying on the ground. Also, if he ever dropped a bat or knife, it could be used against him, and Trayvon could have "stood" his own "ground."
RE: a car, I'm having a hard time imagining he could make a case for "perceived threat." And the standard for manslaughter would, more than likely, at least apply. And again, an agile teenager might at least have stood a chance to get away.
Books have been written about the gradual depersonalization of modern warfare, going back to the advent of weaponry. Psychologically, it's a lot easier to shoot someone from even a few yards away than it is to walk close enough to hear their breathing, see their fear, and kill them. Harder still to repeatedly strike a wounded kid who is lying on the ground.
Of course, this is all academic. But again: for a guy so preoccupied with not getting harmed, I'm guessing nothing would have happened. He would have had to get close enough to Trayvon for the threat to be a REAL one, not some racist persecution fantasy.
It's not impossible that Zimmerman still would have killed Trayvon. But if the laws were half-reasonable, he'd at LEAST be in jail for it.
But nothing screams "spineless wimp" like shooting an unarmed kid and then claiming it was self-defense.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:21 PM

4. Wow. The NRA saw that one coming a mile away.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:52 PM

5. K & R

and merrily cross-posted you-know-where.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:59 PM

6. Best Distillation Of Unhinged Gun Lunacy EVER. Thanks, Rude Pundit. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:24 PM

7. thank you K&R nt

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:58 PM

8. I heard on the news that killings are up 250% in the 4 years since this passed!

I truly was shocked, because I live here and never heard even a whisper of this from FL media. Why aren't they covering this shocking fact prior to the recent unforgiveable tragedy?

The law is heinous and is having the effect the Repugs wants. Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #8)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:02 PM

9. I think you misheard (or they misreported)..

It's *justifiable* homicides that went up- from 12 to 35, if I recall (just short of 3x).

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #9)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:57 PM

25. You mean SUPPOSEDLY "justifiable" homicide, right?

There's a reason this horrible, stupid law is called a license to murder.

I think each of those cases should be thoroughly reviewed by the US DOJ, and charges filed where appropriate.

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #25)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:04 PM

27. What makes you think they weren't?

C'mon, if you've got information, cough it up.

I'm only familiar with about 3 of them, and one is still being litigated.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #27)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:23 PM

32. Um, they took place under a law which HAS BEEN PROVEN to be faulty, AT BEST.

How many of these killers have been allowed to walk AND ALLOWED TO KEEP THEIR WEAPONS? If the Sanford PD is anything to go by we'll never know because there WERE NO INVESTIGATIONS.

But, with that famous RW gunowner personal responsibility being displayed, that's exactly as it should be huh?

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #32)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:33 PM

33. So.. you got nothing?

The law has been proven to be.. absolutely nothing, one way or the other.

Many criminals later convicted claim protection under the fifth amendment- and damned if a lot of them don't get off.

That doesn't implicate the law as 'faulty'.

Tell me, how many of those 35 do "you" think were not justified? 1,2,10, any?

*taps foot*

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #33)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:53 PM

37. Ask Trayvon Martin.

Oh, right. YOU CAN'T BECAUSE HE'S DEAD!!!

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #37)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:15 PM

39. So your answer is one?

Cough em up. You brought up the subject.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #39)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 01:53 PM

42. Well, if you're so sure you're right...

Maybe you can cough something up yourself? Oh right, why should you do any work. Let the other guy do it.

Just a thought...

Reply to this post

Response to MattSh (Reply #42)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 01:54 PM

43. He's the one who called into question the validity of those 35 cases. Not me.

That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #8)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:13 PM

30. not surprised!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:12 PM

10. I don't believe this incident has anything to do with the Stand Your Ground law

I predict that at the end of the day George Zimmerman's claim of self-defense will fail, even under Florida's Stand Your Ground law.

Criminal defendants say all kinds of things to try to keep themselves out of jail. People who murdered others have often claimed to have acted in self-defense even before SYG laws became popular.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #10)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:16 PM

11. What matters most is what people who carry guns think. They like the idea of SYG.

It gives them more leeway to shoot someone. It's wrong too.

Perhaps you are correct that SYG will not ultimately work for Zimmerman, but it has so far. And, this whole thing would have been swept under the rug if people were not outraged.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #11)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:20 PM

12. I'm not convinced that the public outrage has had the impact that many here seem to believe

The Sanford PD had not released the 911 tapes because the investigation was still in progress, according to the Sanford City Manager.

Please click the "Read more" link at:

See http://www.sanfordfl.gov/frames/home_frames.html

Of course the people in the public outrage industry will claim credit for whatever justice is delivered.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:51 PM

24. Then you're not paying attention.

The police & city govt believe it did:

Sanford city manager says police were barred from arresting Trayvon Martinís killer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/sanford-city-manager-says-were-barred-arresting-trayvon-134007644.html

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #24)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:35 PM

34. The police are *always* barred from arresting someone if they don't *actually* have probable cause.

That's the fifth amendment in action.

However, Sanford PD's reliance on this law is specious at best, since it also includes a section that, at first glance, would preclude Zimmerman from sheltering under it-

http://law.onecle.com/florida/crimes/776.041.html
776.041 Use of force by aggressor.

The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:
(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #34)

Response to baldguy (Reply #36)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:17 PM

41. Who says they aren't?!?

If you'd look at the site the Sanford PD put up, they were canvassing the neighborhoor and talking to witnesses as late as 3/12 -

http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/TwinLakesTownhomesShootingUpDate2.pdf

Now whether they would have actually gotten anything done is another matter altogether. I think they latched onto the first fig leaf they could find when national attention was brought against them.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:03 PM

26. I think you're mistaken, then

If SYG wasn't on the books, the police might have had an inclination to investigate. But once Zimmerman claimed that he was afraid for his life, the cops backed off, because the law as written is grounded in the shooter's perception of danger.

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #26)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:38 PM

35. Not really..

It's not whether the shooter feared 'death or grievous bodily harm', it's whether a reasonable person would.

No, I think Sanford PD was looking for the first available fig leaf to hide behind. Had this law not been on the books, I don't doubt they would have found another. They've got too long a history of looking the other way when the victim isn't white. (That's why the current police chief has only been on the job for five months.)

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:21 PM

13. K&R

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:26 PM

14. Every action has consequences

Every action has consequences-- intended or not. It is the moral obligation of every legislator to look for these consequences in any bill they sponsor, hold them to the highest of scrutiny, play devil's advocate with theor own bills, and rewrite to prevent that negative consequence.

People do indeed kill people (as so many are compelled to remind us of the banal bumper-sticker)-- intended or not... some use firearms, others use laws.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:57 PM

15. Fucking gun lobby cocksuckers are out of control

and have been for a long time. The NRA is a domestic terrorist organization and most cops are their sycophant tools. All hand guns should have been banned. I grew up in Europe and yes, we had the occasional tragic gun death, but nothing like here in the US. Why, very tight regulations on gun possessions. Every asshat piece of shit Republican is responsible for this poor boys death. I also by extension, blame handgun owners too. AND YES, I KNOW I'LL GET LOTS OF SHIT FOR THIS POST from all the psychotic gun nuts. Part of the problem is that we have turned the U.S. into such an individualistic society with no corporate responsibility or feeling for the common good or our neighbor.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:19 PM

16. So tired of hearing how it's the fault of guns and legislation.

Ok, I might give you some small benefit of the doubt on the legislation part - the particular statute in question was certainly much more likely than most to make psychopaths feel 10 feet tall and covered with hair.

Still - this was the work of a racist psychopath. The gun only made his actions easier. The law may or may not have made him feel safer in acting on his impulse to murder. I doubt that was even on his mind when he blew off the 911 operator.

It's too, too easy to make excuses - IF ONLY it was harder to get a gun, IF ONLY there wasn't a law giving people more lattitude in shooting... But in the end, this was a guy who was going to kill someone. If not that day, he was going to do it another. If not with a gun, then with another weapon. If he had to wait longer, do more to get a gun, etc., he still would get a gun that would be in his hand when the opportunity arose. PEOPLE make choices. If you want to blame anything, blame right wing radio, hateful emails, etc. - those inflame the DESIRE to kill.

Reply to this post

Response to Daemonaquila (Reply #16)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:30 PM

17. Bingo.

And that Rude Pundit screed was one of the most vacuous things I've read in months.

Blame Zimmerman. Derp.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:30 PM

18. You think cowards like this would have the balls to kill with anything BUT a gun?

A baseball bat? A knife? His bare hands?

Truly?

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:43 PM

23. I totally agree. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:06 PM

28. too bad... wake up

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:49 PM

19. Law makers and the NRA have some

moral culpability here but Zimmerman got the permit, bought the gun and then pulled the trigger.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:01 PM

21. The Rude one, telling it like it is with relish, thereby excoriating the core of RW

mantra.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:04 PM

22. Well said Rudie

Enough is enough!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:08 PM

29. We humans are so lolo....we are so primitive tribal emotional people we suck at solving

anything of complex nature

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:14 PM

31. The Backlash is here

yup

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:14 PM

38. Rabid frothing-at-the-mouth hyperbole. But then, what is one to expect from a blogger called the

Rude Pundit? Not much more than that, obviously.

How can this phrase be justified here at DU... "they suck on it until the barrel has rubbed her kooz to orgasm."?

And yet, in the background, I can hear the dull roar of DU cheering this guy's obviously HUGE vocabulary and incomparable writing ability. Nice to know that at DU, "kooz" is an acceptable reference to a woman's genitalia though. I can't wait to use it.

I can't remember ANY time when ridiculous hyperbole solved even a SINGLE problem.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:16 PM

40. Exaggerate much?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread