HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why 14 workers get fired ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:20 AM

Why 14 workers get fired for wearing orange shirts

story discussed previously here, but here is an angle:

http://www.teamster61.org/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=239892

We're not telling you anything you don't know when we say the jobs catastrophe is striking fear into the heart of people who have good jobs. With the true unemployment rate of 19.9 percent in the U.S. (we'll get to that in a bit) employers feel free to fire anyone because they don't like the color of their eyes. Or their shirts.

In South Florida, a law firm fired 14 workers because they all wore orange shirts on the same day. Really. The Sun-Sentinel has the story:

...orange-shirted workers no longer have jobs at the Deerfield Beach law firm of Elizabeth R. Wellborn P.A...
Four workers tell the story this way: For the past few months, some employees have worn orange shirts on pay-day Fridays so they'd look like a group when they went out for happy hour.
This Friday, 14 workers wearing orange shirts were called into a conference room, where an executive said he understood there was a protest involving orange, the employees were wearing orange, and they all were fired.

We doubt the employer would fire 14 workers so capriciously if the unemployment rate were 2 percent, or 4 percent, maybe even 6 percent or 8 percent. But the real unemployment rate is closer to 20 percent. Not too many people are talking about that staggering figure because government statistics paint a cheerier picture than reality suggests.

6 replies, 1327 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why 14 workers get fired for wearing orange shirts (Original post)
Enrique Mar 2012 OP
liberalhistorian Mar 2012 #1
zbdent Mar 2012 #2
spanone Mar 2012 #3
joeybee12 Mar 2012 #4
Enrique Mar 2012 #6
treestar Mar 2012 #5

Response to Enrique (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:31 AM

1. If I were a client of that "law firm" I'd

fire THEM pronto, take great joy in telling them why, and would try to get as many other clients as I could to (forgive the pun here) follow suit.

And if I were a competing law firm, I'd try to snap up as many of the fired employees as I could or find other firms who could do the same and get publicity out that that's what I'd done.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:47 AM

2. I'm sure that, had they been wearing "Red Shirts" in support of a RW cause ...

they'd be treated the same way ... right?

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:49 AM

3. With the true unemployment rate of 19.9 percent .....bullshit

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:49 AM

4. You've got to also consider that lawyers are a**holes...especially this firm...

They specialize in evicting people from their homes.

Reply to this post

Response to joeybee12 (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:57 AM

6. someone posted this image at their Google listing

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:57 AM

5. Has to be a very huge firm

Firing that many people would have an impact if it were a major portion of the firm. It would result in a lot of inconvenience. A law firm needs employees who know what is going on, and a bunch of new ones at once would be very debilitating.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread