HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Inaccurate weather foreca...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:05 AM

Inaccurate weather forecaster attributes Midwest heat wave to Japanese tsunami debris

By Rob Manker, Chicago Tribune reporter
7:53 a.m. CDT, March 22, 2012

A meteorologist for AccuWeather the forecasting company that predicted a winter so bad, "people in Chicago are going to want to move" has a theory for the recent Midwest heat wave: Japanese tsunami debris.

AccuWeather.com made headlines last fall, you may recall, with breathlessly apocalyptic predictions for the season ahead.

Five months later, winter 2011-12 is in the books as the ninth warmest on record, punctuated by a stretch of historically high temperatures over the last week, and the Chicago area remains remarkably populous.

.....(snip).....

Margusity was a good sport about AccuWeather's swing and miss, even offering up a retroactive long shot theory for the warm winter and recent heat wave the drifting debris field from last year's devastating Japanese tsunami seems to be sending warm air aloft above the Pacific Ocean, which could be contributing to warmer temperatures here, Margusity said. ................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-talk-accuweather-winter-0323-20120322,0,7853869.story

2 replies, 1146 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Inaccurate weather forecaster attributes Midwest heat wave to Japanese tsunami debris (Original post)
marmar Mar 2012 OP
kestrel91316 Mar 2012 #1
SDjack Mar 2012 #2

Response to marmar (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:36 AM

1. Last I heard, AccuWeather was run by a bunch of RW nuts

and global warming denialists. I don't think they use science to make their forecasts. I think they pray to Jeebus for guidance.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marmar (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:57 AM

2. AccuWeather employees donated $10,500 to Sen. Santorum, who responded

by introducing the National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005, which did not get out of committee. The aim of his proposed Act was stop NWS from releasing weather data for free, so that AccuWeather could sell the product. For his effort, Sen. Santorum was labelled one of the "most corrupt politicians" by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread