HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Lost" Great Wa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:48 AM

"Lost" Great Wall of China Segment Found?

James Owen
for National Geographic News
Published March 19, 2012

A forgotten section of the Great Wall of China has been discovered deep in the Gobi Desert—and outside of China—researchers say.

With the help of Google Earth, an international expedition documented the ancient wall for roughly 100 kilometers (62 miles) in a restricted border zone in southern Mongolia in August 2011.

The defensive barrier formed part of the Great Wall system built by successive Chinese dynasties to repel Mongol invaders from the north, according to findings published in the March issue of the Chinese edition of National Geographic magazine.

Preserved to a height of 9 feet (2.75 meters) in places, the desert discovery belongs to a sequence of remnant walls in Mongolia collectively known as the Wall of Genghis Khan, said expedition leader and Great Wall researcher William Lindesay.

more
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/120319-great-wall-of-china-mongolia-science-lindesay/

2 replies, 1257 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Lost" Great Wall of China Segment Found? (Original post)
n2doc Mar 2012 OP
Robb Mar 2012 #1
xchrom Mar 2012 #2

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 AM

1. Cool stuff.

I was inspired many years ago by a documentary on the wall's construction. I had a fence to put in, and instead of pouring concrete at the posts, I tried adding a little dirt at a time and tamping it down thoroughly with a pole. This was almost 15 years ago, and I drove past the fence maybe two years ago -- still straight.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:05 PM

2. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread