HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » AP: 2 US men arrested on ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:05 AM

AP: 2 US men arrested on gay cruise in Caribbean

Note this incident took place in the small Eastern Caribbean island of Dominica and NOT the Dominican Republic which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. Because of the similarity of the names, the two places are sometimes confused with Dominica being assumed to be the same place as the Dominican Republic.

ROSEAU, Dominica (AP) Two California men on a gay cruise of the Caribbean were arrested Wednesday in Dominica, where sex between two men is illegal.

Police Constable John George said police boarded the cruise ship and arrested the two men on suspicion of indecent exposure and "buggery," a term equivalent to sodomy on the island. He identified the men as John Robert Hart, 41, and Dennis Jay Mayer, 43, but did not provide their hometowns.

George said the men were seen having sex on the Celebrity Summit cruise ship by someone on the dock.

More at :http://news.yahoo.com/2-us-men-arrested-gay-cruise-caribbean-215601159.html

5 replies, 1748 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply AP: 2 US men arrested on gay cruise in Caribbean (Original post)
JohnyCanuck Mar 2012 OP
DrDan Mar 2012 #1
Marrah_G Mar 2012 #2
DrDan Mar 2012 #4
jehop61 Mar 2012 #3
sofa king Mar 2012 #5

Response to JohnyCanuck (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:10 AM

1. they were seen having sex from the dock, apparently

what do they expect?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DrDan (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:13 AM

2. Not being arrested for being gay would be a start

If they were naked on the balcony, then a indecent exposure charge might be in order. This went beyond that and is charging them with the offense of being homosexual.

Reply to this post

Response to Marrah_G (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:26 AM

4. naked - and having sex on the balcony are two different things

And were they aware of the local laws?

Not to get into a debate about what the laws should be, they really need to be aware of the local laws if traveling internationally.

I have lived abroad for 10 years - to include 4 in the Middle-East. My wife could not drive there. Obviously this is ridiculous, but we never thought once about her driving. To do otherwise would be insane.

No sympathy here.

Reply to this post

Response to JohnyCanuck (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:13 AM

3. Gay Cruise

Looks like short-sighted people in Dominica will now see their revenue cut when cruise ships decline to stop there. Or, the cruise ship industry will take another hit when word of this gets out. Who would want to take a chance on bigotry?

P.S. I'm old, long-married and definitely not gay. But people should let other folks alone in this matter.

Reply to this post

Response to jehop61 (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:59 AM

5. They don't much like cruise ships, anyway.

Dominica doesn't really have a very suitable port, just occasional docking facilities on the lee side of the island around Rouseau. Last time I was there, cruise ships were not permitted to stay more than two or three days. I was also specifically and officially told not to go to certain towns where outsiders were not welcome. (There is also a Carib Indian reservation on the island, and I very much wanted to meet the people there but was told I could only ride through on the main road.)

I, being the guy with long hair, was told directly that these cruise ships were only barely tolerated and one stupid move could end it forever, so I'd better watch out.

Dominica is also unusually protective of what turns out to be three of the last large tracts of Carribean rain-forest. As a result of their insular ways, their gold-mine of a forest, their poor port facilities, and their ecology-based economy (butterfly catching can apparently earn one a good living, and German backpackers seem to be the main influx of foreign currency and influence), I got the idea that Dominica is a lot less cosmopolitan than their island neighbors, and maybe looking for a way to slam the door on tourism altogether.

I'm not seeing anything in this awful story to change my opinion.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread