HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Minister Confirms Terror ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:32 AM

Minister Confirms Terror Suspect Merah Is Dead

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,823011,00.html

Terror suspect Mohamed Merah, who is believed responsible for the killings of seven people in recent days, is dead, following a prolonged siege of his apartment in Toulouse. French Interior Minister Claude Guéant confirmed the death around noon on Thursday.

Police raided the building mid-morning Thursday after a 30-hour standoff. Reuters reported that gunfire rang out for four minutes and explosions were heard during the raid.

There had been no new signs of life since late in the night, and Interior Minister Guéant had speculated earlier on Thursday that the man, who had been holed up in his apartment for more than 24 hours, might be dead. Guéant told French radio station RTL he "hoped" that 23-year-old Mohamed Merah was still alive. But he said there had been no further contact during the night with the man. The suspected terrorist, a French citizen of Algerian decent, didn't respond to several explosions during the night. Guéant had called the lack of reaction "weird."

The suspect had earlier said he wanted "to die weapons in hand". Two shots were fired in the night, but it was unclear where they originated. Reporters also confirmed that shots had been heard at 2 a.m. local time.

2 replies, 694 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Minister Confirms Terror Suspect Merah Is Dead (Original post)
xchrom Mar 2012 OP
pinboy3niner Mar 2012 #1
xchrom Mar 2012 #2

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:37 AM

1. He reportedly jumped to his death from a window after police entered the flat

Gunman dead as French siege ends

22 March 2012 Last updated at 07:34 ET

A police siege in the French city of Toulouse has ended with a man suspected of killing seven people now dead, the French interior minister has said.

Police had entered the flat where Mohammed Merah was holed up shortly after 09:30 GMT, after a siege that had lasted 32 hours.

Merah fired at officers and was found dead after jumping from a window.

...


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17473207




Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:38 AM

2. +1

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread