HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This One Hits Home...Why ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:27 AM

This One Hits Home...Why ĎStand Your Groundí Is No Defense In Trayvon Martinís Killing

Fired up! Why ĎStand Your Groundí is no defense in Trayvon Martinís killing
Jennifer Granholm - CurrentTV
March 21, 2012

<snip>

Thanks for joining us in The War Room. Iím Jennifer Granholm.

Normally I would start the war room with something political, a recap of the Illinois primary, what that means to the presidential race. Weíll get to all of that tonight. But thereís another story that I want to discuss first. I am a former federal prosecutor and a former attorney general. I want to talk about the Trayvon Martin story because it disturbs me as a prosecutor, and it deeply disturbs me as a mother of a teenage son. Let me say a word first as a prosecutor.

Youíve heard of this story; Cenk Uyger and Keith Olbermann have covered this. Trayvon Martin, was the 17-year-old Florida high school football player who was shot and killed last month. He was visiting, with his father, a friend in a gated community. He was walking back to the home from a convenience store in the rain in the early evening three weeks ago, carrying skittles and a can of iced tea.

<And...>

This law is part of the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALECís, cluster of pro-NRA bills that shot through legislatures in the past few years. Floridaís was the first and seventeen states now have a version of this law, many with virtually identical language.

<And...>

Thereís something even more troubling about this case to me, as a parent.

I keep looking at the pictures of the baby-faced handsome young man. His voice on that 911 tape crying for help is agonizing for any parent to hear. I have a wonderful teenage son too. He wears hoodies, carries his cell phone and likes Skittles. If this were my son, by godÖ

But letís face it, this would not happen to my son.

My heart breaks for Trayvonís parents. Imagine it were your son on that 911 tape, begging for someone to help. Would you be satisfied with george Zimmerman being a free man? The Sanford police department needs to take action.

More (w/Video): http://current.com/shows/the-war-room/videos/fired-up-why-stand-your-ground-is-no-defense-in-trayvon-martins-killing

4 replies, 1253 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply This One Hits Home...Why ĎStand Your Groundí Is No Defense In Trayvon Martinís Killing (Original post)
WillyT Mar 2012 OP
WillyT Mar 2012 #1
Kalidurga Mar 2012 #2
gejohnston Mar 2012 #3
Monk06 Mar 2012 #4

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:20 AM

1. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:28 AM

2. DC is getting involved good NT

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:01 AM

3. it never was

if anyone actually read the law. The problem is Sanford PD. The guy who wrote the law says Zimmerman should be in jail and the problem is Sanford PD. Is there any evidence that ALEC has anything to do with it? Nice meme from the talking heads, but I'm not buying it. Stand Your Ground has been in Washington state since 1917.
Does any of those folks actually know what they are talking about? Do they know what SYG laws really mean? What do they know about the previous duty to retreat law? I'm guessing nothing. I agree with Keith, Thom, Rachel etc, almost all of the time. But that does not mean I blindly follow when I know better. Sometimes you have to look at our own side and say "bullshit". This is one of those times for me. Instead of retyping why, here is part of the reason.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/117223126#post11

Florida's law may have problems, but it is better than it replaced. Duty to retreat is unjust, feudal, and immoral.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:52 AM

4. Zimmerman wasn't standing his ground, defending his property. He was a one man posse.

Hunting down a black man and murdering him Southern Style.

Just like Sheriff Lawrence Rainy and his pals hunted down
James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner,
in 1964, fully confident in their right to murder black people
and those who support them under the color of law.

Here is the arrogance of Jim Crow in it's latest incarnation;
Stand Your Ground or more accurately, Stand Your Ground
Then Hunt Them Down and Murder Them
just for being black
and in the wrong neighborhood after dark.

Here is Edgar Ray Killen the KKK recruiter that masterminded and organized the
assassination of Chaney, Goodman and Schwernerin in 1964. Still confident
that Southern Justice will let them get away with cold blooded murder after
all these years

If there is any such thing as hell this man deserves pride of place.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread