HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'Birthers' sue to force C...

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:23 AM

'Birthers' sue to force California to verify eligibility of Obama, Romney, others

Source: Los Angeles Times

Undeterred by documentary evidence and repeated judicial rejection, a group of conspiracy theorists who say President Obama was born in Africa have sued the California secretary of state to demand that she verify the eligibility of all presidential candidates before putting them on the November ballot.

Minor party politicians and voters aligned with the so-called birthers filed the lawsuit in Sacramento County Superior Court, noting that their action was on the advice of a federal appeals court ruling last year that they bring their suspicions about Obama's eligibility to a court's attention during an election, not after it.

The lawsuit filed by Republican primary write-in candidate John Albert Dummett Jr., Markham Robinson of the American Independent Party of California and five others also alludes to "questions concerning the eligibility" of Mitt Romney to vie for the role of commander in chief. The birthers' lawyer, Gary Kreep of Ramona, said Wednesday that his clients wanted the issue of Romney's eligibility raised because of his parents' long residency in Mexico.

... Kreep, who heads a group calling itself the United States Justice Foundation, was also the attorney who brought the 2009 suit against Obama by the Rev. Wiley S. Drake, a Buena Park minister who once called on his First Southern Baptist Church flock to pray for Obama's death.

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-birthers-bowen-20120322,0,7207839.story

13 replies, 1612 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:27 AM

1. Kreep...appropriate surname

Reminds me of Nixon's criminal re-election committee...Committee to Re-Elect the President (Creep).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:30 AM

2. If you always reject the actuial

evidence, you can simply construct your own reality. If you constantly cast (totally ludicrous) doubts on something, then there is no evidence that you will accept.

These people are idiots.

Reply to this post

Response to SheilaT (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:37 AM

4. Let me guess...Orly Taitz is their dental/slash/legal advisor?

Reply to this post

Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:18 AM

12. Don't forget realtor/slash/martial arts advisor.

Yeah, she's a hell of a woman.

Reply to this post

Response to SheilaT (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:54 AM

7. And with each piece of evidence

the conspiracy casts a wider and wider net. For Obama to really not be a citizen it would take a conspiracy that includes several government agencies and a cast of characters a mile long.

Yes, these people are idiots.

Reply to this post

Response to Mz Pip (Reply #7)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:53 AM

10. And also two Honolulu newspapers, all the way back to 1961

The president's birth announcement, in which the name of the Honolulu-area hospital is listed, was in both of the newspapers serving Honolulu a few days after he was born.

Now understand, we are talking about people who almost certainly voted for a man who was born in Panama and his running mate who was born on Mars or somewhere, so the real issue is the president is black and they don't like it.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:36 AM

3. presidential eligibility is a federal matter, sec state of CA has no jurisdiciton IMO nt

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:41 AM

5. With the people involved, can we call this not only frivolous, but malicious?

About that First Baptist Church there is another article about these rightwing religionists. This is the Huffpo piece on the Kansas House Speaker Mike O'Neal (R-Hutchinson), who sent out emails with that verse and prayer:

"Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8." ...The bible passage itself reads, "Let his days be few; and let another take his office." The real controversy arises in the next verse of Psalm 109..."May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow."

To which O'Neal added:

"At last -- I can honestly voice a Biblical prayer for our president! Look it up -- it is word for word! Let us all bow our heads and pray. Brothers and Sisters, can I get an AMEN? AMEN!!!!!!"

Back in 2009... Jason Linkins suggested that Psalm 109:8 was "the latest thing in 'Debasing The Institutions You Pretend To Hold Dear In Order To Suggest That President Barack Obama Should Be Murdered Without Actually Coming Right Out And Saying So.'"

But they get to abuse the court system and the state of CA elections process?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/13/mike-oneal-obama-death-prayer-psalm-109_n_1205059.html

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:51 AM

6. you know what? Maybe no Americans are eligible.

That's where this slippery slope of birther madness is heading. We will be forced to pick a Chinese president because all 330 million of us can't satisfy the birthers' demands.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:59 AM

8. Well duh -- how can you claim you were standing your ground against someone

that you were following?

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 01:30 AM

9. Did I really misunderstand in social studies all those years ago...?

i seem to recall that a child born of an American citizen, no matter where in the world that child is born, is an American citizen by default until the age of 18; when they have the option to choose between being a citizen of the US or the country of their birth or go for dual citizenship.

So unless I got it really, really wrong back in 5th grade the Birthers have no legal ground to stand on unless Obama's mother wasn't an American citizen.

Why does this even continue to be an issue...he's been President for 3 years already!

*headdesk*

Reply to this post

Response to AmyDeLune (Reply #9)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:05 AM

11. I believe the law was different in 1961 in regard to

"no matter where in the world that child is born." Others have posted the details here previously.

Regardless, it doesn't matter because he WAS born in the US and therefore any other laws about births outside of the US are irrelevant.

Edit: Here's an explanation: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=132&topic_id=8530440&mesg_id=8530876

Reply to this post

Response to AmyDeLune (Reply #9)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:53 AM

13. My former DIL

was born in Boston. Both parents were Australian citizens. When she turned 18 she could have opted for Australian citizenship but didn't. She is a natural born citizen.

What's the big push for repealing the 14th amendment to deny citizenship to the children of people in this country illegally if those children aren't citizens under the constitution as it is? If they are citizens, how would Obama not be when his mother was a citizen? The birthers seem to do somersaults to try to jusitfy their position.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread