HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Empty seats
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:52 AM

Empty seats

SOCHI, Russia (AP) It's an issue that comes up in the early days of almost every Olympics: What to do about those empty seats and lack of buzz?

It's the case again in Sochi, with some senior Olympic officials voicing concern about less-than-capacity crowds and a dearth of spectator enthusiasm.

One International Olympic Committee member suggested Monday that school children and unarmed soldiers be let in to help fill venues.

Gerhard Heiberg, a Norwegian member who heads the IOC marketing commission, praised the overall organization but said the games weren't as lively as hoped.

''We feared that a little bit,'' Heiberg said. ''We were warned about this. The TV pictures are wonderful, the competitions are wonderful, the venues are great. But I feel a bit the lack of enthusiasm and the joy of sports.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/sochi-faces-issue-of-empty-seats-atmosphere-021014?gt1=39002

Funny, I feel the same way about watching the Olympics this year too. I usually tune in more but the enthusiasm just has not been there this year, partially due to the commentary.

2 replies, 331 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Empty seats (Original post)
liberal N proud Feb 2014 OP
PowerToThePeople Feb 2014 #1
Cha Feb 2014 #2

Response to liberal N proud (Original post)

Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:58 AM

1. maybe it is something more

Maybe a majority of people are becoming less driven by competition and realize that we are all in this together.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to liberal N proud (Original post)

Tue Feb 11, 2014, 07:01 AM

2. Kick

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread