HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Christie Caught With CAPO...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:10 PM

Christie Caught With CAPO During Debacle

Did I hear someone say "CAPO?".........

Gov. Chris Christie was with the official who arranged the closure of local lanes leading to the George Washington Bridge on Sept. 11, 2013 — the third day of the closures, and well after they had triggered outrage from local officials beset by heavy traffic. It isn’t known what, if anything, Mr. Christie discussed with David Wildstein that day, when the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official was among the delegation of Mr. Christie’s representatives who welcomed him to the site of the World Trade Center for the commemoration of the 12th anniversary of the terrorist attacks there. Mr. Christie’s office didn’t respond to questions about what he and Mr. Wildstein discussed. Mr. Wildstein did not respond to a request for comment.

Also present with Mr. Christie that day were Bill Baroni, the authority’s deputy executive director, who was helping Mr. Wildstein manage the fallout from the closures among local officials, subpoenaed documents show. Also there was David Samson, the Port Authority chairman and close Christie ally, who has said he didn’t learn of the lane closures and traffic in Fort Lee, N.J., until an email from a New York port official ordered the lane closures reversed. Messrs. Samson and Baroni didn’t respond to requests for comment. Mr. Christie addressed Mr. Wildstein in a news conference last week, saying he had not encountered him “in a long time.” “I have had no contact with David Wildstein in a long time, a long time, well before the election,” which was held Nov. 5, Mr. Christie said last week. “You know, I could probably count on one hand the number of conversations I’ve had with David since he worked at the Port Authority. I did not interact with David.”

When exactly Mr. Christie learned of the traffic problems is an unsettled question likely to figure in investigations of the matter. Mr. Christie said in December that he learned only after the Journal published an internal email from the Port Authority’s top New York official reversing the closures. That email and the accompanying news article appeared Oct. 1. But Mr. Christie said last week he had learned of the matter earlier, from unspecified news reports about the traffic the closures had caused in Fort Lee. Meanwhile, subpoenaed documents show that several of Mr. Christie’s closest aides knew the closures had caused heavy traffic and allegations of political retribution during the week when they were going on. Mr. Christie has said he believed the entire incident was the result of a traffic study, until documents released on the matter indicated it was engineered as possible political retribution against Fort Lee’s mayor.

When the bridge scandal widened last week, Mr. Christie announced the firing of Bridget Kelly, his deputy chief of staff who wrote to Mr. Wildstein on August 13, telling him “time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.” Mr. Wildstein replied “Got it,” and set in motion a series of secret conversations with staff at the port authority to close off two of three local access lanes to the bridge from Fort Lee, with strict instructions not to tell Fort Lee police and officials, or executives on the New York side of the Port Authority, which is jointly controlled by New Jersey and New York. Who, if anyone, authorized Bridget Kelly to send her message and how Mr. Wildstein knew what she meant are central questions in the parallel legislative and criminal probes now investigating the matter.

cont'

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/01/14/christie-official-who-arranged-bridge-closures-together-during-fiasco/

4 replies, 1866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Christie Caught With CAPO During Debacle (Original post)
Segami Jan 2014 OP
Historic NY Jan 2014 #1
identify Jan 2014 #2
snooper2 Jan 2014 #3
Scuba Jan 2014 #4

Response to Segami (Original post)

Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:26 PM

1. The "CAPPO" aka WALLY EDGE has been regularly report to the boss...

David Wildstein, formerly known by the pen name Wally Edge, is playing a key behind-the-scenes role in Governor Christie’s effort to get more control over the Port Authority.

Various reports have described Wildstein as a childhood friend of Christie’s. According to Shawn Boburg, a reporter for the Record who profiled Wildstein in 2012, “he was known as the governor’s eyes and ears inside” the Port Authority. Christie was at pains to deny this. “David and I were not friends in high school,” he said. “I was class president and an athlete. I don’t know what David was doing at that time.” After Wildstein joined the Port Authority, Christie conceded, he may have run into him five or six times, but he said he didn’t recall meeting with him in his office.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2014/01/contrite-christie-one-story-away-from-oblivion.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ny_metro/030312_Ex-blogger_is_Governor_Christies_man_inside_the_Port_Authority.html?page=all
"Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment, th

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:34 PM

2. so riddle me this..

..how did he not get stuck in that traffic getting to new york..? #letstakethehelicopter

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:35 PM

3. He would have been better off being caught with a COPO

Gas Monkey Baby!

can you say BAD FUCKING ASS!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:46 PM

4. I heard Christie's mother put out a contract on him.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread