HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I remember when we had to...

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:20 PM

I remember when we had to alternate odd and even license plate gas buying days.

Is it time for DU to alternate XX and XY chromosome posting days? Because GD is getting pretty fucking toxic.

8 replies, 544 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to 11 Bravo (Original post)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:27 PM

1. I think it's by design. I think a few rabble rousers are pushing the men vs. women debate to divide

us. We have to remember anyone can be a member here and some don't have good intentions. Don't fall for it folks. There's some here pushing Third Way right now, and there are a few who subtly push anti-Obama or anti-Hillary stuff on a regular basis. (Not the regular debate, or sincere posters who have an issue with either Obama or Clinton, that's normal).

I remember (I was about 6 or 7 yrs old) when they decreased the speed limit to 55 to save gas. I remember during the OPEC Oil embargo all the signs and ads for reducing electricity, fuel and other energy sources. Remember the "Kalaka" campaign? (I think that's what it was called) that was about carpooling to work and had a Noah's Ark type theme?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:27 PM

2. I have trashed at least a dozen threads in the last day or so--probably way more.

I wish the admins would do a "meta study" of this business, and see if they can't "connect the dots" to figure out where this crap is coming from.

This isn't real, this crazy poutrage and drama--from both sides. It's overblown crap, and the shit stirring is just getting tiresome.

I really think there's some trolling going on up in here.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:28 PM

3. There are tools.

"Trash This Thread" is a very handy button, as is "Auto-trash by Keyword" under the "Trash" tab in the "My Account" section.

Don't be afraid to use them freely for a more enjoyable DU experience.

Reply to this post

Response to silverweb (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:34 PM

6. I tried the auto trash with the duck threads, and was surprised how many it didn't catch

DUers were remarkably creative with their descriptions of the all things Ducky

Reply to this post

Response to HereSince1628 (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:43 PM

8. Yes, I experienced that, too.

Kinda funny, actually. That's why the "Trash This Thread" is nice to have as backup.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:29 PM

4. I hear ya. We have groups for these discussions but some insist on putting it in everyone's face.

As it were.

Hey, I remember those alternate days of the week days, I was in the East Bay and had one of the earliest personalized plates.

It was all letters (the name of a song by Genesis) and gas stations didn't know whether it was an odd or an even, as there were no numbers.

Good times!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:30 PM

5. "...anything you can do, I can do better; I can do anything better than you!"

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:39 PM

7. It's become awfully venomous.

There's always room for civilized debate, but I've been avoiding most of these threads because they tend to degenerate into a lot of irrational ranting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread