HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Is Political Conservatism...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 07:59 AM

Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity?

In some cases I would think definitely so ... little older article ... It's difficult to not notice many conservatives seem to have an element of paranoia and delusional thinking.

http://ripley8.newsvine.com/_news/2013/01/27/16722961-conservatism-as-a-mental-illness

Here are the facts. A meta-analysis culled from 88 samples in 12 countries, and with an N of 22,818, revealed that "several psychological variables predicted political conservatism." Which variables exactly? In order of predictive power: Death anxiety, system instability, dogmatism/intolerance of ambiguity, closed-mindedness, low tolerance of uncertainty, high needs for order, structure, and closure, low integrative complexity, fear of threat and loss, and low self-esteem. The researchers conclude, a little chillingly, that "the core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and a justification of inequality."

The above list of variables is more than a little unsavory. We are talking about someone full of fear, with a poor sense of self, and a lack of mental dexterity. I always tell my students that tolerance of ambiguity is one especially excellent mark of psychological maturity. It isn't a black and white world. According to the research, conservatives possess precisely the opposite: an intolerance of ambiguity and an inability to deal with complexity. Maybe that's one reason why Obama seems so distasteful to them: he is a nuanced, multi-faceted thinker who can see things from several different perspectives simultaneously. And he isn't preaching fear, either.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/genius-and-madness/200809/is-political-conservatism-mild-form-insanity

7 replies, 606 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity? (Original post)
RKP5637 Nov 2013 OP
Scuba Nov 2013 #1
RKP5637 Nov 2013 #4
JaneyVee Nov 2013 #2
ck4829 Nov 2013 #3
daleanime Nov 2013 #5
beachbum bob Nov 2013 #6
RKP5637 Nov 2013 #7

Response to RKP5637 (Original post)

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:02 AM

1. Simply put, you have to be nuts to believe that shit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scuba (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:18 AM

4. Yep! That really is the bottom line! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:03 AM

2. That's putting it mildly.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:17 AM

3. Conservatives don't want everyone to be equal, but at the same time...

They want the system rigged so that the whole everything not being equal thing never comes back to bite them on the rear when they're on the losing end of it.

They go to a lot of trouble, internally and externally, to justify an inefficient system just so they can stick it to the gays, the liberals, the feminists, the uppity minorities, etc.

It is very unhealthy.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:33 AM

5. "Mild?"

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:37 AM

6. depends what definition of conservatism is used.

obviously the tea-party libertarian sort is batshit crazy but there is more to conservatism than that

Reply to this post

Response to beachbum bob (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 3, 2013, 08:46 AM

7. Yes, you make an excellent point. To me, all conservatism is not bad, I thought it added a

balance to decisions ... but now, sadly, that rationale aspect of conservatism has been invaded by the tea-party libertarian batshit crazy. Exactly, "there is more to conservatism than that ..."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread