HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Well, in my haste this mo...

Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:40 AM

Well, in my haste this morning I failed to give credit to Lee's new law as well.

But I'll never forget Jerry Brown providing advanced communication technology to Cesar Chavez' farm workers union to help them coordinate statewide. Made the farmers madder than a bunch of wet hens.

My then-husband was connected with a major farmer's organization and let me tell you, those people had to have the infamous short-handled hoes pried away from them. They had the most adversarial relationship with their workers imaginable. One time I was dragged over to meet a particularly nasty couple that I later learned had ties to the klan, and they pressed a huge amount of honey on us. When the wife found out later that I'd given a lot of it to the first worker I saw, she exploded. Not just because I'd passed along some of the largesse, but because of who received it. "THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH SOMETHING LIKE THAT!" I remember her screaming. I said, "Well, I figured they'd do the same as anybody else - eat it."

That and the fact that they all knew I loved Jerry Brown made me very unpopular with that crowd - which pleased me immensely. If they'd approved of me, I might've shot myself in utter horror.

0 replies, views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread