HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Arrests follow death of c...

Wed Oct 23, 2013, 04:27 PM

Arrests follow death of child wrapped in blanket

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/justice/florida-child-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Follow up talks with the three adults on Tuesday led to their arrests and charges.

Among the details that emerged was that Trainor used a discipline method she called "the wrap," which authorities described as "willful torture (and) malicious punishment."

"She would literally roll a child in a blanket and tie the ends down so as to prevent movement or escape," the sheriff's office said in a news release.

"In my experience, this is not something we see every day," sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Dave Velez told CNN.

Other children were at the home at the time of the incident, Velez said, but he declined to comment on their current whereabouts.

Watkins is Michael's grandmother, Velez said. The relationship between the boy and the other two adults was not immediately known.

According to the sheriff's office, Trainor did the "wrap" on Saturday, placing the child face-down in a crib as he "screamed and pleaded" to be released.

At separate points, all three caretakers entered the room, often to tell Michael he would be released if he calmed down, authorities said. At one point, Garrigus said he could hear the boy crying and hyperventilating, the sheriff's office said.

When Michael stopped crying, Trainor told deputies, she assumed that he had calmed down and was resting. It was later, when she went to wake him, that she found him "soaking wet" and unresponsive, the sheriff's office said.

7 replies, 609 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Arrests follow death of child wrapped in blanket (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Oct 2013 OP
get the red out Oct 2013 #1
enlightenment Oct 2013 #2
get the red out Oct 2013 #3
Liberal_in_LA Oct 2013 #5
2naSalit Oct 2013 #4
get the red out Oct 2013 #6
2naSalit Oct 2013 #7

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed Oct 23, 2013, 04:44 PM

1. Where would someone get an idea like this "wrap"?

Where do these weird punishments come from?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to get the red out (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 23, 2013, 04:49 PM

2. May some outgrowth of that

bizarre "rebirthing" thing that was circulating some years ago?

Reply to this post

Response to enlightenment (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 23, 2013, 04:51 PM

3. I remember that

There was at least one child that died through that, I believe.

So very sad, I doubt they meant to kill him, but wrapping him tight and putting him on his face was a really nasty thing to do.

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:30 PM

5. 3 or 4 big adult laid on top of a girl, she died

Some kind of rebirthing tactic for troubled adopted kids I think. They forgot to let her breath

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed Oct 23, 2013, 06:43 PM

4. Yesterday someone

posted a complaint about a book being sold on Amazon that was about how to implement some pretty gruesome methods of alleged discipline on children that included this one. The poster got flamed pretty bad about the way in which they presented the issue - by vowing to boycott Amazon for marketing the book - but that's what the OP was meant to be about, this sort of child abuse and that there is a "how to" book about it. Can't remember what the title was... seemed like it's something the rwnj faction are into.

Pretty horrible. Anyone who was a tortured and/or enslaved child would shudder to recall the experiences, this raises issues of that sort for me.

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 24, 2013, 05:13 AM

6. How to train up a child

I think the title was something like that.

Reply to this post

Response to get the red out (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 24, 2013, 07:58 PM

7. I think that was it...

or close.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread