HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Chuck Todd practically sc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:46 AM

Chuck Todd practically screams for Pres. Obama to fire Sec. Sebelius over ACA site glitches...

But when he has glitches with his own on-stage touch screen, he doesn't offer to fire anyone.

Just another day of Todd being an ass.

14 replies, 883 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chuck Todd practically screams for Pres. Obama to fire Sec. Sebelius over ACA site glitches... (Original post)
MrScorpio Oct 2013 OP
ProSense Oct 2013 #1
Siwsan Oct 2013 #2
riverbendviewgal Oct 2013 #3
lpbk2713 Oct 2013 #4
malaise Oct 2013 #5
SheilaT Oct 2013 #6
vi5 Oct 2013 #8
SheilaT Oct 2013 #11
Adrahil Oct 2013 #7
SheilaT Oct 2013 #12
BlueStreak Oct 2013 #9
whttevrr Oct 2013 #10
spanone Oct 2013 #13
WI_DEM Oct 2013 #14

Response to MrScorpio (Original post)

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:50 AM

1. Fuck Chuck, he's

a tool. I mean, this is the same fucking clown that said it wasn't his job (http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023689923) to call out the GOP.

GOP media shill tweets House GOP whine
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023866961

There have been comparisons to the Medicare Part D implementation (http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023818383), but an even better comparison is to MA health care.

Why It Doesn't Matter If People Aren't Signing Up for Obamacare Yet

—By Stephanie Mencimer

Republicans have been insisting for a week now that Obamacare is a failure because immediately following its official debut on October 1, few people actually signed up for subsidized insurance plans through its new health exchanges. "Error message after error message. Failed security standards and 60 hours on website hold for just this one Kansan. It is clear, Obamacare is failing — an embarrassment, particularly for the former Kansas governor who is now in charge of Obamacare," Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) complained on the House floor last week.

<...>

What happened in Massachusetts is pretty much exactly what's happening right now with Obamacare. After the law went into effect in Massachusetts, state offices were totally overwhelmed by the number of people clamoring to sign up for insurance, or what the state's Medicaid director dubbed the "stress of success." Lost paperwork, computer glitches, confusion over who was eligible for what, and not enough staff to handle the workload meant that in those early days, consumers could wait several months after submitting an application to finally get coverage. So many people were trying to enroll in the expanded Medicaid program that the Medicaid agency ended up with a months-long backlog of applications. In the first two months, only 18,000 of more than 200,000 potentially eligible people had successfully signed up through the connector, according to Jonathan Gruber, an MIT professor who helped design the Massachusetts system and served on the Connector board. And all of that happened in a state with only 300,000 or so eligible applicants and without a well-funded opposition trying to derail the law at every turn.

But guess what? Eventually the kinks got worked out and people got covered. Enrollment opened in October 2006, and by the deadline for getting mandatory coverage, July 1, 2007, the Boston Globe reported, 20,000 more people had signed up for insurance on the exchange than the state had expected—12,000 of them in just the two weeks before the deadline. Total enrollment went from 18,000 in December 2006 to 158,000 a year later, says Gruber. Today, Massachusetts has the lowest rate of uninsured residents in the entire country—less than 4 percent—and polls show that people are generally happy with how everything worked out. The conservative Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation has called the state's health care reform law “a well thought-out piece of legislation.”

The federal exchange is fielding vastly more work than the Massachusetts Health Connector, and if it's having trouble with the workload, that's largely thanks to Republican opponents. The drafters of the ACA never envisioned the federal government running health care marketplaces for most of the country. The ACA was specifically designed to respect the state's rights that Republicans claim to care so much about. It empowered states, which already regulate the sale of insurance, to run the exchanges. Healthcare.gov was supposed to be a backstop for states either too small to run their own or that dropped the ball on setting up their own exchanges. Instead, Republican governors across the country, and mostly in the South, abdicated the job completely. So instead of running a marketplace for a couple of states as planned, Healthcare.gov is having to do the work of 70 percent of them, including big states like Florida, Texas and Virginia (and also, ahem, Kansas). Of course the site was going to have some problems!

- more -

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/10/it-doesnt-matter-if-no-one-signs-obamacare-week

Now multiply that by the number of states being catered to by the federal exchange.

Obamacare needs young people to sign up. And it looks like they’re starting.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023832392

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:51 AM

2. Chuck Todd triggers my remote to switch channels

My sub-conscious mind senses him before my eyes and ears do, triggering my hand to grab the remote, and CLICK.

And, yes, he is an ass.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:51 AM

3. Like Bush should have fired everyone who led the USA into the Iraq War?

Right ...that did happen, didn't it....

No weapons of Mass Destruction.
50,000 dead Americans, many more wounded forever
and 500,000 Iraqis dead...

Hmmmm. I would think that is worth firing for.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:52 AM

4. If I thought it would work ...

I'd scream at NBC to fire Chuckie.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:54 AM

5. Of course because he knows ReTHUGs will never approve a replacement

It's not going to happen - Dems have way more sense

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:58 AM

6. I'm constantly surprised at how many here

continue to watch Republican news.

Granted, the argument can be made for knowing what they are up to, but still.

Reply to this post

Response to SheilaT (Reply #6)

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:02 AM

8. It drives me crazy

We have any number of ways to know "what the enemy are up to". There are millions of blogs out there which are devoted to cataloging and detailing just that. The people on here are not doing any favors to anyone by watching this stuff and then ranting about it. I woudl imagine if everyone who wasted their time on that dreck actually did something towards the effort of getting more and better dems elected, or just doing anything more productive it would make the country a better place.

Reply to this post

Response to vi5 (Reply #8)

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:15 AM

11. Plus, of course, there's the problem that

heavy viewers of Fox News are actually mis-informed about many factual items. I see something similar happening here frequently, where someone picks up some small story precisely aimed at inducing outrage over something, posting it here, and getting lots of the expected outraged responses. And then the story turns out to be not quite what it was presented as.

Personally, I wake up every morning to Amy Goodman and then an hour of the BBC. I read my local paper, and then I come here and there are days of outraged posts over something Miley Cyrus did as if that were actually important in the larger scale of things.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:00 AM

7. I don't think she should be fired, but....

if I was Obama, I would give her the ass-chewing of a life time and demand to know how such crappy websites ever were accepted by the government.

Glitches are inevitable in tech roll-outs, but some of these are not volume-related... it was just very poor design and coding practices.

They have about a month to get it cleaned up or all the gains of the last week could be reversed, and that's inexcusable.

Reply to this post

Response to Adrahil (Reply #7)

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:20 AM

12. It's important to know that in general, those in charge

of purchasing things for the government often make bad decisions. And it's not just the expensive toilets.

Back in 1968, when everything out there was getting computerized, and the standard model for business was to lease the computers used, some genius in the federal government who was responsible for the computers the Air Traffic System would be using said, "Lease? And have to give them back after a few years? Hah! We'll buy and then we'll own those computers forever!" Thirty years latr the Air Traffic System was in deep doo-doo because their computers were thirty years old, spare parts didn't exist any more, and it was going to cost many billions of dollars to upgrade to the point where they could have been all along had they done the leasing with continual upgrading that many companies did.

I'm guessing that in this case, among other things that might have happened, is different programs were written to different specifications across different platforms and there was not enough time to properly test things.

It's been my observation, every time I've been working somewhere that has a new computer roll-out, that the first days, weeks, even months are problematical. It's amazing to me that the ACA thing is working as well as it is.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:09 AM

9. He is right. This is a bigger mess than anybody can imagine.

Not that firing the Secretary will fix her mess any faster, but she should be fired for not knowing the problems and allowing the President to be embarrassed by this.

See more details at

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101127434

Several of us laid this all out literally two days after the system launched and were scolded by DU members who apparently can't handle the truth. And here we are coming up on a month after launch and the administration is just now getting around to figuring out that they have a huge problem on their hands -- a screw-up so big that it threatens to do what Ted Cruz couldn't do ion his own.

The administration tried to brush this off as "unexpected demand" (you know, who could have ever guessed how many people would try to use the site?) and "typical start-up glitches", which would be fixed with some overnight changes. Sibelius put out the story, "Every day it is getting better".

No it isn't getting better, and it isn't just a few little glitches. It is a system poorly conceived and designed from the very first architectural decision. And it won't be fixed any time soon.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:12 AM

10. Chuck Todd should be fired!

For his lack of objectivity, partisan propaganda, and for refusing to report the truth.

It makes his commercial a slap in the face to America...

Where he says it is his job to ask the questions Americans care about?

Fuck You Chuck Todd!

Fuck You, Fuck you very very much...

cuz we hate what you do..., and we hate your whole crew..., so please don't stay in touch.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:21 AM

13. he's in a class with luke russert.....a low-class

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:25 AM

14. that guy is one of the biggest tools on TV

Reply to this post