HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Black and White TV and AM...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:29 AM

Black and White TV and AM Radio

I know that a lot of you don't give a flip about AM Radio. You feel the same way about black and white TV.
But some of us like B&W TV, the same way some people enjoy driving vintage cars and living in mildewy castles.

AM Radio is the truckers', the travelers and the poor person's night time diversion and entertainment. AM Radio is the programming rich and poor people listen to in times of emergency and disaster. Of course it crackles and fades in and out. This drives my kids crazy. But they just don't get it. I grew up in the sixties listening to stations broadcasting up and down the east coast late at night on my chunky, waterproof, indestructible transistor radio. The sputters and fade are part of the charm, kids.

You're as likely to pick up a crystal clear station from Chicago or New Orleans as you are one from the big city nearest you. This used to mean that radio was a great way to "see" the country, through local programs that highlighted the style and concerns and weather and activities of people in cities where I'd never been. Now that a few corporations own most of those frequencies, the majority of AM stations sound the same whether in the Midwest, the Northeast or the South. The programming is centralized (funny how much Republicans hate centralization of power in government, but adore it on public airwaves.) The same answers are presented as solutions whether in Nashville or New Haven; the same voice mimics the voice before it and the voice before it.

To listen to our national airwaves, one would think we are a nation made up completely of regressive republicans, loser libertarians and cranky conservatives. One would think the majority of Americans believe that Democrats are evil, liberals should die, that it's time to take up arms and start shooting Democratic politicians. How is this possible at a time when the Republican Congress has a 9% approval rating and the Democratic President has anywhere from a 35 - 91% approval rating? How is this legal?

How is a corporation like Clear Channel acting in the best interest of 800+ stations' communities when its stations broadcast blatant lies from one party, zero information from the other party, and actual calls to violence against the latter?

The hardware for AM Radio is cheap. If you're in a car, there's probably an AM receiver. If you're homeless, a small battery-operated radio from the dollar store will get you tuned in. In a power outage or while out camping, a hand crank or solar radio will pick up AM Radio no matter where you are and no matter how many other utilities and services and media are down. AM Radio used to be there in times of crisis. I recall hosting my own AM radio show during storms, providing a place for people to call in with up-to-the-minute road conditions and to share their stuck-in-the-dark fears. AM Radio was a medium people looked to for information and reassurance.

But don't count on today's AM Radio to help you. It's a virtual unchecked Clear Channel Gangland of violent rhetoric, fear-mongering and falsehood. In the next weather emergency, you'll tune in only to hear one of the sycophantic blowhard talk hosts being broadcast in Chicago and New York and Miami and Kalamazoo and Chattanooga and Oklahoma City and LA and Seattle telling you whom to hate today, but not a thing about whether it's safe to drive downtown or what made the power go out in your neighborhood. Your local emergency is not Clear Channel's problem.

The FCC may not care that Clear Channel is not living up to its licensing agreements. To me, the FCC's negligence and tacit approval of violent rhetoric and political discrimination is a betrayal of all of us, especially the citizens who most rely on AM Radio.

For those who don't understand the passion over AM Radio, this is a meager explanation. Those who love AM like me please feel free to add your own illustrations.

Please help Occupy Clear Channel. Monday. Every day.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2457144

And Welcome to DU3!!!!!!!

107 replies, 15125 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 107 replies Author Time Post
Reply Black and White TV and AM Radio (Original post)
Tsiyu Dec 2011 OP
Luminous Animal Dec 2011 #1
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #2
Luminous Animal Dec 2011 #4
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #9
Luminous Animal Dec 2011 #15
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #17
Odin2005 Dec 2011 #3
The Genealogist Dec 2011 #6
Odin2005 Dec 2011 #11
The Genealogist Dec 2011 #13
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #10
Odin2005 Dec 2011 #14
The Genealogist Dec 2011 #5
Tumbulu Dec 2011 #7
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #12
hunter Dec 2011 #34
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #35
Tumbulu Dec 2011 #8
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #16
NBachers Dec 2011 #18
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #27
NBachers Dec 2011 #42
Chipper Chat Dec 2011 #19
Systematic Chaos Dec 2011 #20
Morning Dew Dec 2011 #22
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #29
saras Dec 2011 #21
Frank Cannon Dec 2011 #23
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #30
ProfessorGAC Dec 2011 #100
rurallib Dec 2011 #24
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #25
rurallib Dec 2011 #48
KoKo Dec 2011 #26
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #31
RockaFowler Dec 2011 #28
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #33
DeltaLitProf Dec 2011 #99
FredStembottom Dec 2011 #32
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #36
FredStembottom Dec 2011 #43
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #92
Odin2005 Dec 2011 #47
FredStembottom Dec 2011 #102
NutmegYankee Dec 2011 #37
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #38
BiggJawn Dec 2011 #39
FredStembottom Dec 2011 #44
BiggJawn Dec 2011 #45
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #51
BOHICA12 Dec 2011 #55
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #78
FredStembottom Dec 2011 #103
ProfessorGAC Dec 2011 #101
Stinky The Clown Dec 2011 #40
OneGrassRoot Dec 2011 #41
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #49
mwooldri Dec 2011 #46
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #50
steve2470 Dec 2011 #52
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #62
farmbo Dec 2011 #53
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #63
FredStembottom Dec 2011 #104
certainot Dec 2011 #106
trackfan Dec 2011 #54
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #64
cullen7282 Dec 2011 #56
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #65
Mimosa Dec 2011 #57
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #66
blaze Dec 2011 #58
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #67
certainot Dec 2011 #105
stevedeshazer Dec 2011 #59
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #68
KoKo Dec 2011 #60
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #69
KoKo Dec 2011 #71
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #74
wakemewhenitsover Dec 2011 #61
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #70
xmas74 Dec 2011 #72
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #75
xmas74 Dec 2011 #77
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #79
xmas74 Dec 2011 #80
Frank Cannon Dec 2011 #85
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #93
WCGreen Dec 2011 #73
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #76
WCGreen Dec 2011 #83
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #84
drm604 Dec 2011 #81
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #82
NashVegas Dec 2011 #86
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #89
certainot Dec 2011 #95
unkachuck Dec 2011 #87
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #90
RB TexLa Dec 2011 #88
Tsiyu Dec 2011 #91
certainot Dec 2011 #107
certainot Dec 2011 #94
lib2DaBone Dec 2011 #96
burrowowl Dec 2011 #97
AsahinaKimi Dec 2011 #98

Response to Tsiyu (Original post)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:37 AM

1. This is an excellent action.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Luminous Animal (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:42 AM

2. Thank you Luminous Animal.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:00 AM

4. You're welcome! It would be great if the activism forum had a calendar with an alert function.

Reply to this post

Response to Luminous Animal (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:12 AM

9. I agree

Maybe that's something the Admins can add.

The nice thing about this action is that it can be done any business day, during normal station business hours.

Clear Channel needs to be shamed and fined into getting square with the American people from whom it leases our airwaves.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:23 AM

15. I checked to see if you had also posted this in Activism and I'm glad that you did.

I think it would be wise that everyone who posts actions in one forum cross post to Activism. It would help to make Activism more relevant.

Reply to this post

Response to Luminous Animal (Reply #15)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:27 AM

17. Yes, it provides a nice list of things to do

And a less busy forum so posts don't drop.

I was afraid the test posts would be lost; glad to see the admins saved them so I don't have to repost with my slooooow connection.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:51 AM

3. Fortunately, Here in Fargo we have a good progressive AM station.

KFGO 790, where Ed Schultz got his start.

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:04 AM

6. I've heard KFGO

I can pick it up best in the early winter evenings. Last winter, there was I guess a particularly large snow storm, and I got a really strong signal from KFGO. They were trying to communicate where people could find lodging in the Fargo area (and I think too which places of lodging had lounges!). I think this was for travelers and people without electricity. THAT kind of broadcasting, with local folks on, laid back, helping the community and travelers, that is what I would like to hear more of on AM!

Reply to this post

Response to The Genealogist (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:15 AM

11. Last winter was nasty and seemed to go on forever.

And in March we got Thundersnow. Frickin' THUNDERSNOW!

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:22 AM

13. It was a long one here, too, and many other places

While our winter was not as severe as a Dakota winter, it was severe for SW Missouri. We had some nasty snowstorms, and miserable cold. No thundersnow, though, that I remember. I remember only one thundersnow here, when I was in high school, probably 21 or 22 years ago. It was just a freaky thing to see. Dumped a lot of snow.

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:13 AM

10. How lucky you are

The only progressive stations anywhere close to me are small or just hard to pick up in the hills and hollers

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:23 AM

14. Folks around are far more Progessive than they thik they are.

But it is a Progressivism with a Libertarian flavor, trying to impose reform from the top down will piss people off, we prefer to do it ourselves.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:00 AM

5. AM Radio

I do understand your passion for AM (REAL OLD FASHIONED) AM radio. There was a time when every station on the AM band had at least a little bit of its own personality. There were so many different music format possibilities, talk was generally a fairly tame thing, with people calling in for help with their lives or to talk about their pets or something. There were all-news channels. Much of what was on the radio was locally produced, outside of the music. Stations had their own news departments, unique talents, and niches in their communities. This AM radio is virtually gone. There are still stations out there like this on AM. WSM 650 in Nashville comes to mind. It is an old country station, a 50kW powerhouse blasting out to the Eastern US. It still (so far as I know) plays the Grand Ol' Opry live. I have gone on long trips and kept WSM on, and some of the old Country they play, no stereo, pops and hisses and crackles intact, has an almost other-worldly quality when belting through the dark night on the highway. There are others out there that still have country formats like WSM, or oldies, even hot A/C and others. There are still stations like 1060 KYW that seem to remain nothing but all-news. Some stations, at night, broadcast shows that are aimed at truckers specifically, with plenty of weather forecasts and road conditions that truckers can use and shows to entertain them. However, most AM stations these days are one of two things: all sports and RW blither. They are, as you say, the same thing, whether you are in Portland, Maine or Portland Oregon, or Springfield Mass or Springfield MO. They are nothing more than soulless, centralized rebroadcasts of the same tired old RW hacks who park it in front of a microphone and spew hate all day for a living. My city has at least three stations. I guess some people want to hear the same hatemonger several times a day. It makes me sad, that such a formerly-interesting band has grown into such a cess pool. I still DX (listen for distant stations and log them, for those unfamiliar with the term "DX" all the time. I really don't have much against the all-sports stations. I can't imagine listening to sports all day, and it is kind of bothersome that they are all canned. But at least they aren't hatemongering on there.

I'd like to see, someday, AM return to being a part of communities all over the US. I wonder how many more jobs there could be, with more newsrooms and local announcers, and corresponding necessary support staffs for them! AM has a feel, a sound to it, that I would think those who love "retro" would really get into. I know this is a pipe dream, as satellite radio and other modes of broadcast come about. But it is MY pipe dream!

Reply to this post

Response to The Genealogist (Reply #5)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:08 AM

7. I like your dream

I share it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:20 AM

12. I still love WSM

and tune in. The joke goes, where I am, we don't get the Grand Ole Opry til Wednesday up here (it airs Saturday nights for those who never heard of this quintessentially Nashville old time country program.)

I miss the days when we had community radio. And Clear Channel is one of several bully corporations who have destroyed that medium, leaving the airwaves full of hate and lies from their headquarters.

I join you in your dream as well.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:35 AM

34. Now, with satellite radio for the big guys...

... every radio station on the ground ought to be local and independent.

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #34)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:38 AM

35. You'd think, huh

But the FCC just hands the frequencies over to Cumulus and Clear Channel, full well knowing that all local relevance is being flushed down the toilet when they do.

On WLAC Nashville , the sports reports come from LA!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:08 AM

8. Thanks for bringing this up

excellent OP!

Reply to this post

Response to Tumbulu (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:24 AM

16. Thank you for reading, Tumbulu

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:11 AM

18. Reading all this is like tuning a distant station, fading in and out, but urgently communicating

across the airwaves. Where I live in San Francisco, the AM band has liberal Green 960, the descendant of Air America. And there are many other-than-English stations on the dial. I think those communities still have their local radio.

I'm lucky enough to have found a few hours of radio programs from WBBF, my favorite top-40 station in Rochester, NY, back in the '60's. I can listen and along with the old tunes, I hear the local news, weather, sports, personalities, and ads from familiar old businesses. We all felt more connected with our local community back then . . .

Reply to this post

Response to NBachers (Reply #18)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:04 AM

27. You might like this link, too

http://www.musicradio77.com/index.html

WABC was my favorite as a kid living in Upstate NY, listening under the covers on cold winter nights.

But how sad that we have to replay radio from 50-60 years ago to get a real radio fix!

Thanks for your input here.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #27)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:19 AM

42. Yup, I was able to tune in Cousin Brucie and always enjoyed listening to WABC

beaming in from far-away cosmopolitan New York City

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:18 AM

19. A snippet from the past:

7;00am - a school day in Indiana /1957 - I awoke - turned on the radio (a huge Airline floor model) - somebody had moved the dial so the normal chatter from WOWO/Fort Wayne was silent - so I slowly turned the dial around the 600 area - and I heard a faint "This is KFI Los Angeles." - and I flipped out - wow - LA on my AM radio! I wrote the station a letter and they sent me back a post card confirmation. Of course, this story wouldn't be worth an eye bat now. But it was a major episode for me.

Reply to this post

Response to Chipper Chat (Reply #19)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:40 AM

20. I was doing that sort of thing all the time up until the mid 80s.

I remember taking long trips in the car and playing endlessly with the tuner in our 1972 AMC Hornet's AM radio as a toddler and early grade schooler. And then at home I would try and supplement the antennas on portable radios with wire clothes hangers and the like. I remember getting St. Louis stations from Cape Coral, Florida; and Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania stations from here in Las Vegas.

And then I got a Lasonic boombox for a birthday gift in 1985 or so which had access to one of the shortwave bands on its tuner. THAT was cool. There was no limit to the strange and interesting stuff I found with that old boombox.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:01 AM

22. Boy, that takes me back.

But only to the early '70s and trying to tune the AM radio late at night to see what I could get in my small town Wisconsin bedroom.
I loved straining to hear those voices fading in and out through the static and whistles.

89.. WLS, Chicago... that one was common.

Snagging KOA in Denver or KAAY in Little Rock was always a thrill.

And one time (one time only) I managed to hear KDKA out of Pittsburgh.

I was in seventh heaven.

There was nothing like old AM radio.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:11 AM

29. When that moment struck

and you realized you could hear stations from all over America and Canada (close to my hometown) it felt like magic. My brother had a shortwave setup and got the confirmation cards from all over the world, but he was always having to fiddle with his antenna setups. Me, I just needed my little transistor that popped and crackled.

I have a nice SONY shortwave that was once his and I'll listen when I get sick of BS in English. But nothing compares to being a kid feeling the power of "eavesdropping" on faraway places with nothing more than a little handheld reciever.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:45 AM

21. I grew up on a small-town AM station that played the local top 100. No matter what.

Ferlin Husky, Led Zeppelin, Perry Como, Bread, Black Sabbath, Frank Sinatra, the Ohio Express, Johnny Cash, Petula Clark, Lou Reed.

To hear a Ferlin Husky trucker anthem go right into Walk On the Wild Side, and to KNOW that they were not being ironic or postmodern (hell, NONE of us had heard of those terms, really) - it's indescribable.

Reply to this post

Response to saras (Reply #21)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:09 AM

23. KEEP 1450 in Twin Falls, Idaho, was like that.

Now it's 24-hour right wing talk, as it has been for many years, but back in the day they played EVERYTHING. You'd hear Led Zeppelin followed by Olivia Newton-John followed by Elvis Presley, with tons of local contests and other fun stuff in there.

Now we just can't have nice things anymore.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:16 AM

30. I know!

Sometimes I'll pick up a station from France or Germany on the shortwave, and get that eclectic mix, but that's as close as I can get. Now the kids will say, "Just program your Ipod to get whatever you want."

It's just not the same as knowing there was a human picking songs, guessing what the next song might be, feeling the real time connection to the DJ and everyone else listening along.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:01 AM

100. Same Here

It was truly BROADcasting. WLS and WCFL in Chicago were like that. Yeah, you lost the signal when you went under a train bridge for a few seconds, but got to hear all kinds of things.

In Chicago, i will say that you heard VERY little country music. It was rock and pop, almost exclusively, but still pretty cool.

And, i've never cared for C&W anyway, so i didn't lose much.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:42 AM

24. well, if I had any idea how to rec this thread, I would.

Reply to this post

Response to rurallib (Reply #24)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:56 AM

25. Well, it took me a minute to figure it out too

On the OP, on the left side just above the sig, tick the little rectangle that says "DU REC. The funny thing above it shows you who rec'd.

Hope that helps and thanks for your kick and for reading.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #25)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:43 PM

48. thank you so much!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:02 AM

26. I remember the hey dey of AM Radio, so well.

The Wolfman DJ from Florida...pushing out the Rock & Roll and country music all over the South.

Thanks for the post, I will recommend.

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #26)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:23 AM

31. Thank you KoKo

What happened to the personality and joy of AM Radio?

All the life and happiness and freedom has been sucked right out of it By Cumulus and Clear Channel.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:10 AM

28. I miss the real AM Radio

Before stupid Clear Channel ruined it. In South Florida they own every other channel. CBS owns the rest. How exactly are we able to get a different viewpoint when we only get 2 total?? Back in the day - only 18 years ago - I used to listen to 790 in Miami. The lineup was one of the best:

Rick & Suds
Neil Rogers
Phil Hendrie (before he went all fundie)
Randi Rhodes

They were a great group and boy they were fun to listen to

Reply to this post

Response to RockaFowler (Reply #28)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:30 AM

33. I was Hendrie's Board Op/Producer on WSB for a while

and he USED to be a great guy, before he went over to the Dark Side. I couldn't go rightwing, and that's why I'm not in radio today. Clear Channel has destroyed American Radio discourse, with the FCC cheering its demise with absolutely no regard for Americans.

AM Radio went the same way as small local stores. Now every town seems to have the same box store strip malls as the next town over and the next town after that.

Our local flavor, all the unique qualities and peculiarities that made each locale distinct and special, have been lost by media monoculture thanks to Clear Channel.

And Neil Rogers was quite the character. Yes Indeed...

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #33)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 06:36 AM

99. Is Hendrie a true believer or is he a Righty for the money?

I get the impression that when the work culture changed around him, he changed his personality right along with it. Still a comedically gifted guy, but man is there ever a sociopathic side to him now.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:28 AM

32. I am love AM beyond all reason.

Ever since I could drive I have liked tuning the AM car radio between any strong stations and listening to stations from nearly the entire country (and, being in Minnesota, Canada) fade in and out.

You can hear the weather, too with lightening going on somehwere even if clear where you are.

The new digital tuners don't do this nearly as well as the old slide-rule tuners. Those old ones didn't lock onto the frequencies and let me be "in-between" and enjoy high-school girl's basketball mixing in and out with Perry Como, Steppenwolf and a thunderstorm somewhere.
Did that guy just say WLS Chicago?

Reply to this post

Response to FredStembottom (Reply #32)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:43 AM

36. I agree about digital tuners

I have two old Sony radios - and the smaller shortwave/AM/FM does get better reception. It's those crazy in between frequencies where you find the coolest stuff.

On the big Sony I actually got a Colorado NPR station - during the day once. It was a fluke but I was confused at first listening to their pledge drive, going, Huh?

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #36)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:26 AM

43. Fun stuff!

I sure wonder where the AM band will be in 10 years....

I suspect that it will be largely abandoned and the frequencies getting re-assigned to more digital band-width.

i am very sorry about this. But that seems very likely to me (MP3 players don't even do AM because the digital works blot out AM reception!)

Let's you and I enjoy it while we can.

Here in MN there's still a local station in Faribault (KDHL) that still plays polkas and gives birthday news and so forth - like a trip back 50 years.

Reply to this post

Response to FredStembottom (Reply #43)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:54 AM

92. "Hey shut da door!

Shut da door yourself! HEY!"

Okay, having polka flashbacks from Syracuse

Reply to this post

Response to FredStembottom (Reply #32)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:42 PM

47. When i was a little kid in the 90s I remember picking up a Winnipeg station.

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #47)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:57 PM

102. That's AM fun for you.

FM can't even get around the tallest building near you.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:50 AM

37. The alternative station near me was purchased from Clear Channel

Clear Channel changed the format over to a top 40 and Hip/hop (like all of their FM stations) and pissed off most of the listeners. Luckily, a Connecticut based company bought the station and brought the Alternative Rock format back.

Reply to this post

Response to NutmegYankee (Reply #37)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:00 AM

38. Some good news then

We must always have hope that things will change for the better.

I'm glad to hear your story.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:08 AM

39. I sure miss the old days. Now you hear Sean Insanity ever 10 Kcs. on the dial.

Every slot, RW Hate Radio. The only exceptions are "news" stations and the same syndicated sports format.
But then. there's CKLW out of Toronto, comes in strong most nights.

And all the music on FM is programmed from some closet in Redwood City, CA, where they look at the city list and go "Hmmm. Lafayette, Indiana... Axl Rose's home town, and it's Indiana..."
So all you get is "Guns and Roses" and John Mellencamp. I wonder if all Chicago gets is "Smashing Pumpkins"?

Shortwave used to be so much fun, but the world economy has taken care of that. Shit, you can't even get the BBC here in the US any more. Most of what you get here in English now is either Jeebus Junk or "Patriot Radio", which is scary and funny at the same time.

Would love to return to the time when Radio was magic. I got started in this broadcast business because it was magical, pictures and voice through the air. Now its just a marketing tool.

And that doesn't even touch on how the Freepers went ballistic about Obama "taking over" the airwaves during the nationwide EAS test the other month. Seriously, they were expecting black helicopters to drop in their backyards.

Reply to this post

Response to BiggJawn (Reply #39)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:32 AM

44. Ahhhh, shortwave.....

What a bunch of crazy crap that has become!

Of course, it always was pretty limited - but at least the BBC was there - like you said.

But you are right that some of that Jeezus-patriot-premonition deciphering, 3rd temple and guns stuff is fun. They are all so out on a limb that I defy anyone else to even grasp the main points! Kind of an audio Dr. Bronner's bottle - with implied violence.

Reply to this post

Response to FredStembottom (Reply #44)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:00 PM

45. It has gotten pretty freaky.

But then, there's always been some weird stuff on shortwave, like, how long has Family Radio been broadcasting? Of course, what with Camping's advanced age and senility, that may be ending.

Used to hear the BBC, VOA, Radio Moscow (bet that reception report got a file opened on me), and countless other countries broadcasting in English. Oh. you can still hear Radio Havana, but they have got this gosh-awful hum on their audio it's difficult to listen to.

Never heard so many ads for dehydrated food and gold as I have on US Shortwave. I recall reading something a while back that these "Patiot" radio programs are an information disseminating mechanism for some of these militia groups, a way their members can keep up on the latest from HQ without having to risk getting their IP address traced...

Oh! I almost forgot... Water filtration systems and Colloidal Silver, too!

Reply to this post

Response to BiggJawn (Reply #45)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:55 PM

51. Yeah, you have to sift through garbage on shortwave as well

Doomsday has been coming "next week" for years.

When I get faster internet, I can just stream the Brazilian stations, but for now only the shortwave provides a Portuguese fix or a French fix. Sometimes I can get an AM signal from Quebec, but most of the time it's too weak.

BTW, speaking of Havana, had some great Organic Cuban coffee at a freind's cabin last week. It was so delicious I almost cried

Guess a lot of trade sanctions have been lifted?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:05 PM

55. Radio Moscow ....

..had a 2 hour drive across the FL Panhandle in the very early 80s - my VW's AM only receiver picked up Radio Moscow like it was next door. Great listening. Plus I have to give a shout out to WBT & WSB & WSUN during the same period. They were all blowtorches at night.

Reply to this post

Response to BOHICA12 (Reply #55)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:06 PM

78. Whenever I drive through Atlanta

I look up at that WSB antenna and get nostalgic for the days when I used to do the antenna logs for it.

It carried us all over the country.

Now it just carries hatred and lies.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:59 PM

103. LOL!

colloidal silver

Turn blue in your spare time!

Reply to this post

Response to BiggJawn (Reply #39)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:04 AM

101. To Answer Your Question

No, Pumpkins are not all we get. XRT plays quite a bit of their music, but that actually is run from Chicago, so they play a lot of local stuff. (Obviously by bands that hit the big time, not bar bands with a CD or a website.)

But, there are digital radio stations that are super narrow. There is a Bruce Springsteen station. That's all they play. One would have to be a REALLY big fan to listen to nothing but one artist.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:13 AM

40. My first Rec on DU3. Great post.

People underestimate the power and reach - even today - of AM radio.

People underestimate it at their own peril.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #40)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:15 AM

41. My first recommendation on DU3, too. :) n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #40)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:45 PM

49. That rec means a lot

From you and OGR.

A for Stinky.

Thank you for reading the ramblings of an old lady

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:31 PM

46. Ahhh.... AM Radio. Interesting yet dying beast.

I grew up in the UK. Until I went to uni, the BBC had a monopoly on national broadcasting. The local station broadcast on both the AM and the FM the same programming. So fiddling around with AM after dark brought some alternatives. Radio Luxembourg being the most prominent of them, on 208 metres on mediumwave. (at that time AM stations were promoted using their wavelength rather than their frequency). Also had to distinguish between medium and long wave because both were AM. However once daylight came, no competition for BBC Radio 1 - the only pop station. Until Atlantic 252 - an Irish longwave station - no real serious competition. Then FM kicked in for popularity - Radio 1 going FM and abandoning AM, local radio doing AM and FM splits, more local stations and regional stations getting a licence...

Fortunately OFCOM still upholds broadcast standards so that AM stations aren't rightwing blowtorches in the UK, and can't go that way.

AM over here in the USA? The phrase "It's dead, Jim" comes to mind. Even Mr. Limbaugh has gone FM around these parts. AM is Bible and Sports with about one or two exceptions. Burlington NC has an "Oldies & Beach" station, Mt. Airy has a bluegrass station that has live performances (WPAQ) and a local preacher here and there.

Reply to this post

Response to mwooldri (Reply #46)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:50 PM

50. One of my Favorite Radio shows

was "Rock Over London."

That British and World Pop was the best company.

There are very few unique radio shows around me. It's mostly hate and sports and sometimes hate and sports.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:25 PM

52. Thank you for this thread ! AM Radio DX'ing used to be my big hobby back in the '70's

It was very cool getting a station from Colorado when I was in Florida. I agree, the local color is pretty much gone now. It's nice to read that it still exists in a few places.

Reply to this post

Response to steve2470 (Reply #52)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:27 PM

62. I only wish I lived in those places

But maybe they concentrate the hate in red states and broadcast alternatives in states where people actually demand community-oriented broadcasts.

Here in TN, progressives are rather shy about speaking up.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:39 PM

53. Scream for progressive radio in your communities

Clear Channel is actually unloading many of their AM stations in major markets and concentrating on the FM dial. Meanwhile, Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman and other progressive talkers are looking to expand into more markets accross the county.

You don't have to be a radio mogul to control a good AM signal-- maybe only $5K or so a month under a marketing agreement which you can make up with agressive ad sales.

Reply to this post

Response to farmbo (Reply #53)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:29 PM

63. Someday maybe

A few friends here threatened to get me my own AM station, but they never carried it through.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:02 PM

104. That's my dream.....

That the Big Boys will abandon AM radio and hundreds of Little Guys can then get in.

But this country has such a history of taking away anything like that!

I am not hopeful........

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:18 PM

106. it wont come by screaming- it's going to take actions like tsiyu is describing, and others, like

complaining to local sponsors until the only ones left are the ones who will scream back into telephone that limbaugh is right, and those are few from my experience. most i've spoken to are making business decisions and when their getting shamed for sponsoring racism and global warming denial,in whatever form, they're going to find alternatives. that can and should happen everywhere. and getting out university sports out of those stations.

considering citizens united we can't wait for a business solution. they have a monopoly and they're going to keep it to these elections- we need to break it before these elections, or at least make those stations pariahs in their communities.

the RW monopoly is not going to shrink- they know it's a huge part of their success even though the left doesn't. they may dump a few small stations but not the big ones, and i've heard limbaugh on FM.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:47 PM

54. I remember going on vacation as a kid and seeing how far from L.A. we could still get KFI.

The station identification was a stentorian voice saying something like "50,000 watt, clear-channel, KFI 640; an Earl C. Anthony broadcasting company."

Reply to this post

Response to trackfan (Reply #54)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:33 PM

64. A 50,000 Watter can reach incredibly far under the right conditions

I was producer for a show on overnights on WSB in Atlanta, and we got a transmission verification request from Finland once. That was pretty crazy.

Some nights there were calls from Wisconsin, NY and Ft. Lauderdale. You never knew who was listening.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:26 PM

56. I contacted the FCC once

over something Neal Boortz said. I gave them the direct quote, time, station, everything but an actual recording. They sent me a letter saying I didn't give enough information.

Reply to this post

Response to cullen7282 (Reply #56)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:51 PM

65. The FCC no longer works for the people who pay for it

to the tune of $350 million plus.

Unless someone flashes a nipple on TV, the FCC employees appear to stay under their desks picking their noses or - in the case of the more socially adept FCC employees - having nice long lunches with CLear Channel and Cumulus executives while arranging for their near complete monopoly of media.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:28 PM

57. Very interesting! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Mimosa (Reply #57)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:51 PM

66. Thanks! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:23 PM

58. Not to defend Clear Channel

but in Denver, 760 am is very progressive.

I assume it's all about the dollar...

but we got David Sirota (totally rocks!!!), big eddie, Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhodes....

http://www.am760.net/main.html

Reply to this post

Response to blaze (Reply #58)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:54 PM

67. The stations in TN that I can hear have none of these

I wouldn't mind a mix - on WSB we had liberal and conservative programming (not any more.)

It's all "Hate Obama" around here, and their ratings still suck.

Lucky you!

Reply to this post

Response to blaze (Reply #58)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:08 PM

105. am 760 went prog before the 2006 elections and IMO was major in getting CO blue

a similar thing happened in NM. unfortunately prog radio gets little credit for turning those states blue.

until then there was no progressive radio, except liberal news and fantastic music from listener supported local boulder station FM KGNU.

other than that CO is pure RW democracy-killing BS

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:49 PM

59. Great post.

In the early sixties as a kid, I picked up WWL in New Orleans one day from our house in rural Oregon. I was hooked, and I still DX, though like you I am disappointed by the crappy programming of today.

Recently, the mighty KGO in San Francisco dumped most of their talk shows in favor of this "all-news" crap. They were the last on the west coast to independently program their own talkers. That was a sad day.

I still listen at night, especially now because reception conditions are good. For some reason, Calgary has been booming in on several frequencies, 770, 880, and 1060, classic country. A lot of Hank Snow.

Happy DXing.

Reply to this post

Response to stevedeshazer (Reply #59)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:56 PM

68. yeah, the winter is the best time to tune in

those AM waves like the cold air, supposedly.

I'll have to see if I can get anything out of Calgary. I do get WWL very easily.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:01 PM

60. I was thinking...that the "Plug could be pulled" on Twitter, Facebook and the Internet/Intertubes

but, the AM WAVES will be the only thing standing for communication.

Can they pull the plug on that without "Great Difficulty?" It might be the "Wave of the Future."

What's Old ....Becomes New Again? Could that happen?

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #60)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:58 PM

69. AM is almost like an "Organic Medium"

when you think about it

And it has kept me company many times when the power was out and there was nothing else to make noise.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #69)

Response to KoKo (Reply #71)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:52 PM

74. Oh yeah

It's been a determined and relentless campaign of propaganda and media consolidation.

By Clear Channel and Cumulus and FOX - the bullies, thugs and sociopaths of AM Radio's Gangland airwaves.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 06:10 PM

61. Fantastic post.

Ty!

Reply to this post

Response to wakemewhenitsover (Reply #61)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:00 PM

70. Thanks

Some of the smileys are now no more

Here's the new list if anyone needs it:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/index.html

And a for you wmwio!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:04 PM

72. Many years ago

I worked graveyard shift in a convenience store. On those shifts I always listened to Coast to Coast on AM.

AM radio reminds me of happier times.

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #72)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:58 PM

75. You would hate Coast to Coast now

Noory is a rightwing tool, a yes-man with rather low intellect whose show sounds like something Pat Robertson would air. Lots of "Jesus is the answer" and climate change deniers and anti-OWS blather.

Art Bell wasn't necessarily liberal, but he knew how to ask questions and how to have a variety of guests on.

When Noory said he was "friends" with Glenn Blechh, and allowed his promo saying "Progressives Must DIE!" and "Shoot Nancy Pelosi!" to be aired on Coast to Coast, he lost any shred of respect I had for him.

I listen now simply to catch 1510 WLAC AM in more terroristic broadcasts.

Coast to Coast is absolutely awful with Noory as host. Not fun like the show used to be, but depressing and simply more of the same rightwing propaganda they air all day on 1510 WLAC.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #75)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:06 PM

77. That's so disappointing.

I once loved listening to the show. It was such much fun and it kept me awake all night.

I feel as though I've lost a friend I haven't heard from in many years.

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #77)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:10 PM

79. They do re-broadcast some of Art's old shows

on the weekends. Those old broadcasts are really fun to hear.

I mourn with you. I miss good radio at night.

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #79)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:14 PM

80. I'll have to remember when I can't sleep.

Maybe next weekend I'll get up around midnight, turn on the radio, and start scrubbing the baseboards.

I wish there was still good programming out there!

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #79)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:02 PM

85. Art was great. Noory really blows.

Art wasn't afraid to be a little skeptical and call total bullshit on someone every now and then. Most of the time, Noory acts like he's severely head-injured. And enough with the Marian visions, angels, and other religious horseshit already.

Ian Punnett is good on the weekends, but now he's having a hearing problem and is only going to be on one day a month.

So yeah, here's to you, Coast to Coast, the way you used to be.

Reply to this post

Response to Frank Cannon (Reply #85)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:03 AM

93. I wonder sometimes if Noory only plays dumb

but is really evil - like Rosemary's Baby kind of evil - IRL.

With Art, you never knew what was going to happen and that's what made it fun. And yeah, he'd call bullshit and did not suffer fools. It was performance art for insomniacs and the cynical.

Noory encourages and books fools.

Punnett with the 'Deacon Punnett' crap and the "Deus tu amat and I do too" stuff is just so smarmy, I'm hoping someone else more like Art was - or maybe even a dynamic female - will take over his weekend gig.

I do like Punnett a lot more than Noory, and wish him the best with his tinnitus issues.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 07:12 PM

73. It was papa Bush and Bill Clinton who ended the duopoly restrictions that prohibited any one company

to own more that a small percentage of any one market.

Years ago, there were thousands of small owners all over country. I worked for a small radio operation back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Once the restrictions were "relaxed", the large companies bought up hundreds of station across the country and then started centralized programing that they beamed into the stations. Now all it took to run a station was a board operator, a couple of sales people to bring in the cash and a station manager to take care of all the book work.

It then that Rush offered free streaming of his radio show while letting the local radio to have a few spots in each break.

It killed radio as a democratic tool.

Reply to this post

Response to WCGreen (Reply #73)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:01 PM

76. Can you believe that the FCC stated that the reason they

were relaxing the Fairness Doctrine standards was that they posed a "chilling effect on free speech?"

AS if....

Reply to this post

Response to Tsiyu (Reply #76)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:25 PM

83. Oh yea....

That was crazy.

It was also a duopoly doctrine that was tossed out, the number of stations any person or company could own in any particular market.

The reason given was that so many small stations were struggling that this would help, I kid you not, so "mom and pop companies could still make a difference..."

Reply to this post

Response to WCGreen (Reply #83)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:37 PM

84. Yes you are correct

It used to be a company could only own so many radio/TV/newspaper outlets in any given market.

Now? You get one main viewpoint and the "mom and pops" don't exist anymore for all intents and purposes.

If someone listened to Talk Radio in Middle Tennessee, they'd think there isn't any such thing as a Democrat in the entire state, at least not one the radio stations like 1510 WLAC AM don't advocate killing outright.

The Rightwing ALWAYS lies about their motives. They absolutely disgust me beyond measure.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:15 PM

81. K&R

Check out the link in the OP.

Reply to this post

Response to drm604 (Reply #81)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:23 PM

82. Thank you drm604

The Occupy Clear Channel action day can use all the warm bodies we've got!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 09:36 PM

86. 1996 Telecom Act Basically Gave Away the Public Airwaves In Return for Control

I don't mean FCC regulation control, I mean, control control.

Did you catch that national test last month, where the FCC took control of the nation's airwaves for 30-90 seconds or some such?

That was able to happen because of the agreement made for 1996. Prior to that, all radio stations had to have at least one person in the building at all times, in case of emergency.

Clear Channel and other radio corps wanted to be able to use syndicated programming without having to pay someone to babysit the board.

So we got EAS, a system where gov. agencies can automate an interrupt.

In 1995, alternative media begged the nation to care. No one did.

We get the government we deserve.

Reply to this post

Response to NashVegas (Reply #86)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:39 AM

89. People are starting to wise up

I believe in the past few years AM Radio is rising - albeit slowly - in total listeners because of the economy. A lot of people can't afford special TVs and antennae to watch HDTV, and they can't afford cable. They can't afford satellite radio in their cars either, but they want weather and traffic. They are returning to AM Radio only to find the Clear Channel/Cumulus /Rightwing/Wasteland/Violent/Gangland Hate Radio and they are not happy about it.

AS more people use AM, perhaps they will call out for fair, non-discriminatory, accessible and appropriate radio in line with the needs of their communities. One can hope, right?

You're absolutely correct, though, that not enough people stepped forward to stop the Telecomm Act that led to the horrific state of AM Radio today.

We need a new act, sponsored by a good Dem, and actually enforced by the FCC. Or else we need to have a separate agency to oversee radio, because the FCC appears to be more like a mob protection racket than a regulatory agency.

Reply to this post

Response to NashVegas (Reply #86)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:47 AM

95. more important than the monopoly, IMO, is the the coordinated unchallenged lying that loss of the

fairness doctrine enabled. that RW radio disinformation, much by limbaugh, helped the republicans get what they wanted in deregulation.

and to think the limbaugh stations will be the loudest ones in a national emergency.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:32 PM

87. as a young kid....

....I loved the fact I could receive AM (or anything) on my crystal radio, albeit, many stations at once....I had a lot of fun playing with the circuit, ground, antenna, trying to filter-out the unwanted stations while maximizing the one I wanted....

....and it was FREE!....batteries not required!

Reply to this post

Response to unkachuck (Reply #87)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:41 AM

90. cool

Thanks for shring your memories

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:39 PM

88. I love baseball games on AM radio!

Reply to this post

Response to RB TexLa (Reply #88)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:50 AM

91. I think it's more enjoyable to listen to baseball on the radio

Than to watch it on TV.

A sports aside, I used to board op for Larry Munson (voice of the Georgia Dawgs), and was very sad to hear he passed on recently.

He was a good guy to me, but I was very pregnant when I produced the last shows for him, and he was absolutely convinced I was going to give birth on the studio floor and he was going to have to deliver the child. He was constanly cutting in on my mic (while callers were on the air but they couldn't hear) saying "Tsiyu! Stop bending over like that. You're going to go into labor! Tsiyu! Stop reaching for those commercial tapes. You're going to go into labor!"

I finally found a one-page emergency delivery sheet - complete with illustrations - and posted it on the studio bulletin board just to tease him. And, no, he didn't end up delivering my baby.

He was a lot of fun and had a very distinctive voice and will be missed, though I think he had retired a few years back.

Reply to this post

Response to RB TexLa (Reply #88)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:42 PM

107. i think sports on RW radio may be the biggest advantage RW radio has as far as ad revenue and

if those teams, especially the uni teams, were to start breaking their contracts because of how antithetical to their mission statements the likes of limbaugh are, RW radio would take a huge hit, economically and credibility wise.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 02:38 AM

94. an organized challenge to RW radio will have a huge pos effect on next elections- good on all those

doing this and it's about time. hallelujah.

besides occupy CC i would also suggest boycotting and or calling of LOCAL sponsors of any radio station that has the main RW talkers on.

i would also suggest getting all universities that broadcast sports on any RW station to break their contracts and find alternatives- their mission statements are no consistent with global warming denial, hare, racism, sexism, partisan lying, etc.

some of those stations were involved with those universities BEFORE they went RW.

1000 think tank-coordinated radio stations reaching 50 mil a week has been loud enough and unchallenged enough to short circuit our normal democratic feedback mechanisms and create made-to-order pro-corporate constituencies for any occasion. no other medium can do what RW radio has been able to do the last 20 years.

without RW radio we wouldn't have had bush, iraq, wall st deregulation, tax unfairness, the tea party and debt ceiling delay, and some of the shittiest supremes in history, and we would have had single payer, media and election reform, action on climate change, and one hell of a lot more progressive reforms by now.

i just ended up on the old discussion linked above, lost my way, and posted there, about occupy clear channel.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:02 AM

96. Great memories..... until Clear Channel sucked the life out of radio

My night-time favorites were WLS-Chicago-Land with Dick Biondi for Carol's red Hanger Shops, http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS70/ WBZ-Boston, WSB-Atlanta, Wonderful WOWO from Ft. Wayne, Indiana. The Big-8... CKLW Detroit/Windsor.

There was WABC New York, W N-N-BC,

That was back in the days of the "Drake" jocks.. who would talk over the instrumental intro to the song.. right up until the singing started...

I really liked WWL-New Orleans with Charlie Douglas and the all-night road gang.. "Let's go Trailer-truckin'.. brought to you by Super America in Slidell, La. And to this day.. I still listen to 650 WSM Nashville during the early morning hours. THey have the BEST country oldies.

And who can forget Wolfman Jack on XERB from Hollywoood, California. (Actually, a mexican station from somewhere down in Baja. ) http://www.xerbradio.com/

Anyway.. the fucking Republicans along with help from Bill Clinton made sure that all came to an end with the advent of Clear Channel.

Today, Clear Channel owns all 5 radio stations in my town. The merchants HATE them... and refuse to advertise. No local news, no local information. The music sucks.. and we get nothing but Rush and Hannity and Beck and Laura Ingrham, and... etc, etc, etc.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 03:08 AM

97. AM like my Princess Phone

stashed in a handy space is useful, like during electrical outages (like during thunder storm season) are still very very useful!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 05:21 AM

98. Its funny but...

I found it shocking to the find the RAIDERS FOOTBALL games on FM radio. Isn't that meant for great music? Do people really want that quality sound for crunching shoulder pads and referee whistles? Do you want to hear ..in stero.. " PERSONAL FOUL..ROUGHING THE PASSER.. #26 of the Kicking team.. 15 yard penalty.. FIRST DOWN!"

Kimiko ~yori

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread