HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Health Exchange Delays Ti...

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 10:55 PM

Health Exchange Delays Tied to Software Crash In Early Rush to Enroll

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/us/health-exchange-delays-tied-to-software-crash-in-early-rush.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The technical problems that have hampered enrollment in the online health insurance exchanges resulted from the failure of a major software component, designed by private contractors, that crashed under the weight of millions of users last week, federal officials said Monday.

Todd Park, President Obama’s top technology adviser, said the failure occurred in the part of the Web site that lets people create user accounts at the beginning of the insurance sign-up process. The crash prevented many people from viewing any of their insurance options or gaining access to information on what federal subsidies might be available.

“At lower volumes, it would work fine,” Mr. Park said of the Web site, healthcare.gov. “At higher volumes, it has problems.”

“Right now,” he added, “we’ve got what we think we need. The contractors have sent reinforcements. They are working 24-7. We just wish there was more time in a day.”

4 replies, 508 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Health Exchange Delays Tied to Software Crash In Early Rush to Enroll (Original post)
steve2470 Oct 2013 OP
snooper2 Oct 2013 #1
AnnieBW Oct 2013 #2
steve2470 Oct 2013 #3
AltrCargo Oct 2013 #4

Response to steve2470 (Original post)

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 10:58 PM

1. somebody forgot indexing 101

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 11:08 PM

2. DDOS?

The tinfoil-hat part of me is wondering if this was a coordinated Denial of Service attack on the ACA website by the Koch Brothers, Paulbots, Teahadists, and/or other wingnuts.

Reply to this post

Response to AnnieBW (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 11:18 PM

3. I think it's certainly part of the overall problem nt

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 7, 2013, 11:32 PM

4. seems like sombody forgot to hire load testers. :-)

now i wonder who is handling this big project.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread